Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

They were partying on Sunday. Their game was on Tuesday. That's 2 days before the quarters in a tournament they had no chance of getting a medal in. Again, whatever.

People need to lighten up.

Among the people who who need to lighten, apparently, are the people in charge of Austria's national hockey team -- they ain't happy.

And for those who've really, really (really, really) ever tied one on (it is so much stupid to do so) to the break 'a dawn, you know full well why there is a Japanese term for "hangover," or so I've been told by people who've traveled there for business, that, when translated literally and not idiomatically, is expressed as "the second day sickness."

If Vanek and Grabner were bombed come daylight on Monday (which it appears they basically admit they were), then there's little question that their behavior negatively affected their play on Tuesday at 12:00 noon (Sochi time).

A whole lotta stupid.

But, as others have noted, this appears to have been a mistake that an otherwise responsible guy (who can't lead a team and loves to make the Vanek Face) made while away from the family.

Wasn't Babe Ruth an alcoholic?

I'm not sure. But the idea here is that Vanek almost certainly engaged in behavior that was atypical for him. In my mind, no way that guy bounced back fully from a bender in a little over 24 hours.

Not just hockey players. If people knew the things that some of their "revered" heroes did before the internet and ESPN, etc. Mickey Mantle spent half his life in a drunkin stupor but nobody knew and nobody cared.

They knew, but writers covered for him and amphetamines are a wonder drug.

Among the people who who need to lighten, apparently, are the people in charge of Austria's national hockey team -- they ain't happy.

And for those who've really, really (really, really) ever tied one on (it is so much stupid to do so) to the break 'a dawn, you know full well why there is a Japanese term for "hangover," or so I've been told by people who've traveled there for business, that, when translated literally and not idiomatically, is expressed as "the second day sickness."

If Vanek and Grabner were bombed come daylight on Monday (which it appears they basically admit they were), then there's little question that their behavior negatively affected their play on Tuesday at 12:00 noon (Sochi time).

A whole lotta stupid.

But, as others have noted, this appears to have been a mistake that an otherwise responsible guy (who can't lead a team and loves to make the Vanek Face) made while away from the family.

I'm not sure. But the idea here is that Vanek almost certainly engaged in behavior that was atypical for him. In my mind, no way that guy bounced back fully from a bender in a little over 24 hours.

As they should be, I would be furious to find out that they were out partying instead of focusing on the job they were sent there to do. They can do whatever they want when its over and they have no more games to play, but until then, they are not there to party and just have a good time, they are there to compete for their country. If they want to spend the time partying they could have opted out of playing and stayed home.

Ah, but had TV stayed home (with the wife and kids), he would not have been free to tear it up like he did.

i'm sure the Austrians would be thrilled to know that they put alot of money and resources into making sure that Vanek and his buddies had a place to get away from their families to party instead of focusing on what they were supposed to be sent there for

i'm sure the Austrians would be thrilled to know that they put alot of money and resources into making sure that Vanek and his buddies had a place to get away from their families to party instead of focusing on what they were supposed to be sent there for

I'm guessing they'll get over it once they realize that Vanek has probably done more for Austrian hockey just by being who he is for the past 10 years than they have.

Them being drunk had nothing to do with them losing. Them not having as much talent had everything to do with them losing.

Thank god we're still at the place where hockey hasn't become as corporate and boring as football has become. I can see that it's coming, though.

Them being drunk had nothing to do with them losing. Them not having as much talent had everything to do with them losing.

They didn't lose to one of the big 5 -- they lost to Slovenia. And they lost 4-0.

I think it's pretty reasonable to conclude that taking the game seriously and resting up would've left them in much better shape to make it a competitive game.

They didn't lose to one of the big 5 -- they lost to Slovenia. And they lost 4-0.

I think it's pretty reasonable to conclude that taking the game seriously and resting up would've left them in much better shape to make it a competitive game.

I just think it is also completely reasonable to conclude that it had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. PR-wise, I agree, it looks bad, but it's funny that you only hear about these things when someone loses.

If Sweden loses to Finland, I am putting out a Jim Cantore, "Severe Tallinder Warning" for the duration of the visit. This includes metro Sochi and vicinity. Residents can expect 4 to 6 inches an hour, low visibility, treacherous travel conditions due to sticky surfaces, and possible blackouts. Expect multiple pressure systems coming from the south, and in a worst case scenario, convergence with a fast moving system up north. In this model run, a total of 14-20 inches can be expected....

I just think it is also completely reasonable to conclude that it had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. PR-wise, I agree, it looks bad, but it's funny that you only hear about these things when someone loses.

Do you not think an athlete performs better when he is well rested than when he is coming off of a 6 AM too-drunk-to-talk-or-walk binge?

Let me ask this question: If Vanek were the captain of the Sabres, and the Sabres won game 6 of the SCF on Sunday afternoon to force game 7, which would be played on Tuesday at noon, would you be happy if Vanek and 7 teammates went out boozing on Sunday night and everyone got falling-down drunk and didn't go to bed until 7:30 AM or so (i.e. 28 hours before game 7)?

Let me ask this question: If Vanek were the captain of the Sabres, and the Sabres won game 6 of the SCF on Sunday afternoon to force game 7, which would be played on Tuesday at noon, would you be happy if Vanek and 7 teammates went out boozing on Sunday night and everyone got falling-down drunk and didn't go to bed until 7:30 AM or so (i.e. 28 hours before game 7)?

I never saw any credible proof in the press that Kelly and Thomas were out partying the night before the Super Bowl with the Redskins but Thomas forgot his helmet and Kelly played like it...has there ever been any substantiated proof of this because there are rumors.

I never saw any credible proof in the press that Kelly and Thomas were out partying the night before the Super Bowl with the Redskins but Thomas forgot his helmet and Kelly played like it...has there ever been any substantiated proof of this because there are rumors.

One of the Bills (Talley?) fairly recently confirmed stories of partying before SB 25.

You mean, other than Kelly himself laughing (nervously) about it during interviews in later years?

Thurman lost his helmet against Dallas.

I would not be happy.

Also, I've heard stories that Kelly was not only hung over during games, but actually drunk. I do not know whether the soon-to-be HOFer who was telling the stories was amping it up for shock value (I suspect so), and he was not referencing playoff games.

You mean, other than Kelly himself laughing (nervously) about it during interviews in later years?

Thurman lost his helmet against Dallas.

Right with Thurman. I've heard the stories about the drinking though before SB 25 and IMO there should've been an investigation and if it was found out, then Kelly and whoever else were implicatedvshould've been barred from the HOF.

There seems to have been a more indepth investigation to this Austrian team fiasco than our SB Bills. I guess that's the kind of journalism we're used to at The Buffalo Snooze.

Right with Thurman. I've heard the stories about the drinking though before SB 25 and IMO there should've been an investigation and if it was found out, then Kelly and whoever else were implicatedvshould've been barred from the HOF.

There seems to have been a more indepth investigation to this Austrian team fiasco than our SB Bills. I guess that's the kind of journalism we're used to at The Buffalo Snooze.

My point continues to be who gives a chit? Nobody was complaing when that same behavior won all those games leading up to those Super Bowls.

I wouldn't be happy as a fan BUT I still don't think it impacts his game at all. He got to sleep off two nights

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.