Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Some posters are really sensationalizing this whole thing. One, they're taking one story at its word that it was 6AM. Regardless, second, nowhere does it say anything about any bender or falling down-can't talk drunk. Staying up late and having a few drinks is different than getting blackout drunk. Especially when you consider 6AM Sochi time is 9PM our time, even though they've been there for a couple of weeks. Were they wrong? Sure. Are some of you blowing this way out of proportion? Hell yes.

Some posters are really sensationalizing this whole thing. One, they're taking one story at its word that it was 6AM. Regardless, second, nowhere does it say anything about any bender or falling down-can't talk drunk. Staying up late and having a few drinks is different than getting blackout drunk. Especially when you consider 6AM Sochi time is 9PM our time, even though they've been there for a couple of weeks. Were they wrong? Sure. Are some of you blowing this way out of proportion? Hell yes.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F

%2Fsportnet.at%2Fhome%2Folympia2014%2F1564783%2FParty-statt-Eishockey_Einige-waren-so-betrunken-dass-sie-kaum

"Some players were at 2.30 clock already so drunk that they could hardly talk anymore," reported the Croatian Hockey Portal khl.hr referring to a source in Sochi.

I think it has no effect once the game starts.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't see how this could possibly be the case. Any human being's body is going to perform better with 2 good nights of rest than it will with one night's rest and one night's mega-binge.

Let me ask this question: If Vanek were the captain of the Sabres, and the Sabres won game 6 of the SCF on Sunday afternoon to force game 7, which would be played on Tuesday at noon, would you be happy if Vanek and 7 teammates went out boozing on Sunday night and everyone got falling-down drunk and didn't go to bed until 7:30 AM or so (i.e. 28 hours before game 7)?

It's worth pointing out that in this scenario, Thomas Vanek would have captained the Sabres closer to a Stanley Cup than they have ever been in their entire history.

As a big Vanek fan, I hate this story because it's not what you want from a mature leader. OTOH, pro athletes party pretty hard and it just comes with the territory. (Weren't the 2004 Red Sox drinking during games when they broke the curse?) I'm not convinced this actually affected the outcome or even slowed the Austrians down. Sometimes taking things too seriously can hurt you just as much as not taking them seriously enough. I doubt the Austrians hit the sweet spot here but I'm not opposed to them partying after a win either.

I'm with Freeman on this one. Bad move by Vanek and his teammates.

But I don't think it does anything to his trade value, at all.

I don't care what Vanek did or didn't do. I really don't give a ####

I don't think it affects his rental trade value either. But as I mentioned previously, it reinforces my satisfaction that the Sabres didn't give him a $60MM contract. And I also think it will reduce the number of teams that are willing to break the bank for him in FA.

Right with Thurman. I've heard the stories about the drinking though before SB 25 and IMO there should've been an investigation and if it was found out, then Kelly and whoever else were implicatedvshould've been barred from the HOF.

There seems to have been a more indepth investigation to this Austrian team fiasco than our SB Bills. I guess that's the kind of journalism we're used to at The Buffalo Snooze.

Holy overreaction batman?

I stand corrected. I still don't see it being an issue two nights later. From the perspective of representing your country, I think they did wrong. I don't think it had an impact on their performance.

I stand corrected. I still don't see it being an issue two nights later. From the perspective of representing your country, I think they did wrong. I don't think it had an impact on their performance.

But if they were out and awake until 6:30am partying, it wasn't two nights; it was one.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't see how this could possibly be the case. Any human being's body is going to perform better with 2 good nights of rest than it will with one night's rest and one night's mega-binge.

Until I see some science, that is just your opinion, as well.

If your hydration level and energy stores are where they should be at the time of the game, I don't think it matters a bit what you did to yourself two days earlier.

Speaking from personal experiance, I've done everything right (from a clean living perspective) and just couldn't find the energy on the ice before. Conversely, I've pissed on my own television and not known it, then played the best game of my life two days later.

Edited by SwampD

It's worth pointing out that in this scenario, Thomas Vanek would have captained the Sabres closer to a Stanley Cup than they have ever been in their entire history.

As a big Vanek fan, I hate this story because it's not what you want from a mature leader. OTOH, pro athletes party pretty hard and it just comes with the territory. (Weren't the 2004 Red Sox drinking during games when they broke the curse?) I'm not convinced this actually affected the outcome or even slowed the Austrians down. Sometimes taking things too seriously can hurt you just as much as not taking them seriously enough. I doubt the Austrians hit the sweet spot here but I'm not opposed to them partying after a win either.

That Red Sox thing is a great example. That 2004 was praised for all of the crazy clubhouse stuff. Then you look at their huge collapse a few years back in Francona's last season and they did the same exact things. All of that stuff was suddenly portrayed by the media as the entire cause for the collapse.

Them being drunk had nothing to do with them losing. Them not having as much talent had everything to do with them losing.

:blink:

I think it's pretty reasonable to conclude that taking the game seriously and resting up would've left them in much better shape to make it a competitive game.

agreed. the distinction here with the austrians, specifically vanek, is that, unlike the babe, mantle, or the 90s bills, these guys were apparently engaging in behavior that was out of the norm for them, and then they laid an egg against an inferior opponent.

Do you not think an athlete performs better when he is well rested than when he is coming off of a 6 AM too-drunk-to-talk-or-walk binge?

sounds like a decent theory ...

I think it has no effect once the game starts.

:blink:

They slept twice.

Unless they found a wrinkle in time, they had 1 night and a little more than 24 hours to get right. And it's clear that they didn't.

So no one here has ever had a hangover that lasts more than one day? Because I know I have.

What an athlete does to their body one day can affect it for days. This isn't the 70s anymore. These guys are in peak condition and on the strictest and most job benefiting diets. Getting schwasted on a Sunday night will definitely affect you on a Tuesday.

So no one here has ever had a hangover that lasts more than one day? Because I know I have.

What an athlete does to their body one day can affect it for days. This isn't the 70s anymore. These guys are in peak condition and on the strictest and most job benefiting diets. Getting schwasted on a Sunday night will definitely affect you on a Tuesday.

Maybe you're just a lightweight.

you must've missed me upthread with the japanese expression "second day sickness."

Maybe you're just a lightweight.

high-five, bruh.

If you aren't a cynic, you probably don't want to know what goes on with these guys.

One of my best Uncle Vito stories ever is when I was informed from a firsthand party that an All-Star pitcher was curled up in a ball in his hotel with a bottle of rum, 4 hours from his start, because a girl he was "dating" had called him in the process of "dating" another HOF athlete. Sound effects and all....

He went out and got shelled for 7 runs in the first few innings.....

I once partied for St Patty's, got in a fight, got hit by a car(none of which I'm proud of) and still scored four goals the next night. The Austrian team are lightweights!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.