Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

What makes Seguin significantly better than Hall?

IMO, Seguin is the better goal scorer and better defensively. Seguin in Dallas is getting a chance to really shine and show what he can do. His time in Boston really has developed his defensive game. And I really love the playoff experience he already has at 22. If Seguin can stay healthy, he will really separate himself further from the other young stars of the game. This season is Seguin taking that step to the next level.

Absolutely, they gambled and won. I'm trying to be fair in my own mind, looking at the deal as it would have been presented to Darcy at the time. There were very real, very dangerous red flags that came along with Seguin at the time, and it appears we were being asked to mortgage the future for his talent. It's a horrible comparison because Milbury was involved, but Yashin being dealt to the Island was the same type of risk, and that set a franchise back for probably 5 years.

I'm biased in that I'm on board with the rebuilding plan as currently being sold by management. Acquire multiple high selections, draft well and let them pan out or fizzle. In addition, we can acquire 2 Seguin like talents in the next two years for free. Well, almost free - we need to watch waiver wire pickups playing the power play for us.....but I think you get the point. Haha.

You're certainly right about the red flags. I think "mortgage the future" is a bit overstated though, at least as far as my hypothetical. Vanek was leaving, so no future there. Pysyk is a good young defenseman but probably not a star, and the Sabres have a number of good young defensemen. I like Ennis (and many here do not) but his ceiling is probably 2nd line forward. And Foligno was a 4th round pick whose ceiling is either 3rd line or 2nd line forward -- but it's an open question as to whether he gets there in light of a fairly disappointing season this year.

IMO, Seguin is the better goal scorer and better defensively. Seguin in Dallas is getting a chance to really shine and show what he can do. His time in Boston really has developed his defensive game. And I really love the playoff experience he already has at 22. If Seguin can stay healthy, he will really separate himself further from the other young stars of the game. This season is Seguin taking that step to the next level.

He's only 22. Ugh. Can we fire Darcy again?

Plus, in Dallas, he's got a coach who can get the most out of him.

Plus, in Dallas, he's got a coach who can get the most out of him.

Exactly! Not like the coaches we have had. Our coaches would have made him soft and focused too much on making him a two way player. It would have stunted his growth and he would be Drew Stafford 2.0. Soft!

These guys dont do well playing in a "system". They need a coach that let them spread their wings.

Edited by FolignosJock

Exactly! Not like the coaches we have had. Our coaches would have made him soft and focused too much on making him a two way player. It would have stunted his growth and he would be Drew Stafford 2.0. Soft!

These guys dont do well playing in a "system". They need a coach that let them spread their wings.

This needs a sarcasm emoticon.

During the offseason there were reports of Seguin needing to be put up in a hotel with a guard during the playoffs so he wouldn't wander for entertainment. That's a huge risk that wasn't worth it in my opinion. Pretending Vanek, Pysyk, Girgensons gets that trade done, if it doesn't work out how bare is the cupboard? And it sounds funny, but is it bright to bring in a guy who had these problems in a town where bars close at 2am rather than 4?

What your bars close at 2am ? that is sad man

4 in Buffalo. It varies widely among states, and within some states, among counties.

As a bartender in a past life it became very clear to me quite early in my career that the 4 am closing time is insane. There is an exponential increase in idiocy past 1 am, and I can readily admit that I was often part of that idiocy when I was on the other side of the bar.

As a bartender in a past life it became very clear to me quite early in my career that the 4 am closing time is insane. There is an exponential increase in idiocy past 1 am, and I can readily admit that I was often part of that idiocy when I was on the other side of the bar.

Nothing good happens after 2am.

@BrianWGR: #Sabres Murray also said there is drop dead date on #Isles decision on holding back their pick(in Vanek trade) and it's well before draft.

He said that, but he didn't know when it was, and said he hadn't tried to find out.

I think it's possible he may have assumed, rather than known, on "well before."

He also said they are scouting as if they are getting the pick but that seemed to be more about because it was prudent, rather than any insight into where the Islanders are leaning.

You're certainly right about the red flags. I think "mortgage the future" is a bit overstated though, at least as far as my hypothetical. Vanek was leaving, so no future there. Pysyk is a good young defenseman but probably not a star, and the Sabres have a number of good young defensemen. I like Ennis (and many here do not) but his ceiling is probably 2nd line forward. And Foligno was a 4th round pick whose ceiling is either 3rd line or 2nd line forward -- but it's an open question as to whether he gets there in light of a fairly disappointing season this year.

Sorry, I must have gotten crossed up and read Pysyk and Girgensons in addition to Vanek as the hypothetical. As you state it, I think that is worth the risk. If it's Vanek, Ennis, Foligno for Seguin, I still think that's a little top heavy from our end, but it's better in my mind as we aren't dumping two recent young first rounders.

Also, catching up with another point, Seguin type players are available in the top 3, almost every year. Looking at the past, for the first overall pick you have to go back to DiPietro and Stefan to be disappointed. For the second pick, Legwand and Zyuzin. Third picks fall of a little bit, with Turris, Horton, and Svitov being questions. I think it's very, very difficult to screw up if you're in the top 3, and even harder in the top 2 as we appear to be locked in for this year and next. Add to this multiple other draft picks that we already have an will be acquiring, and the next 1-3 years will be fun for building a team.

Is anyone going to be watching the beginning of the Islander game tonight v Calgary? I think the Islander fans might give Vanek a piece of their mind.

He really doesn't deserve it, just like many of the whipping boys here (and on the Bills) that don't deserve alot of what they get from the fans.

Vanek didn't ask to be dealt to the Islanders, and didn't ask them to give up what they did to get him. He came over and has done his job and played well for them. He said he would be open to re-signing with them in the offseason, he just didn't like the offer they made to him (which is rumored to basically be basically what his current deal is).

If they want to give someone a piece of their mind, it should be directed squarely at Snow for paying what he did AND not making a move to shore up their biggest weakness which is in net.

@LavoieRenaud: Islanders are trying hard to trade Thomas Vanek before the Olympic trade deadline (3pm Friday)

Murray should make it happen then trade Vanek for more before the real (post-Olympic) deadline. Almost Ehrhoff all over again from the Islanders perspective.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.