Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

http://tinyurl.com/lbvgntf

Article on a guy I think should be MUCH higher in this draft than he's being projected. Would love to move up from 31 to the high 20s to land Milano. Should be top ten in this draft.

With all due respect, he has been playing on a line with Jack Eichel and Alex Tuch...who are both excellent players.

I would much rather get Tuch, than Milano...but that's just how I would rather build my team.

(As for Bennett vs. Reinhart...I have wanted Reinhart for nearly 2 years, and that will not change...he is the superior player/athlete.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I'm also on the Reinhart boat. From what I seen of him he's just a really good player who makes the players around him better. Bennett might have a higher ceiling but right now Reinhart seems solid to me and we can't afford misses in these next two drafts. But like I said before in previous posts this rebuild is going to take at least 3-5 years before we see playoffs and that's why I'm leaning more towards 5. This draft doesn't have elite talent like last years and this franchise is setting themselves up on not rushing these players.

I must say this though...

Between Eichel, Tuch, Milano, Hanifin, Compher, Fasching, Demko, Dougherty, Schmaltz, Larkin, Glover, McInnis, Collins, etc...

The USA is really starting to churn out some quality players in recent drafts, especially this year and next.

And upon further research into this topic, I found this article...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=710238

"The selection of right wing Michael McCarron of the United States Under-18 National Team Development Program in the first round of the 2013 NHL Draft marked the ninth straight year at least one player from the United States Hockey League was among the top 30 picks.

32 players competing in the USHL in 2012-13 were chosen last June, the most players selected from the league in one year. There's no question the USHL has been churning out NHL-caliber athletes in recent years; a total of 94 USHL alumni competed in the League in 2012-13. More than 300 players on USHL rosters last season committed to NCAA Division I schools and more than 200 are currently under NHL contract."

(I see that continuing to improve...as some of the names I mentioned get drafted in the next couple years.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I have to agree. But in all fairness I don't care if the kid was a workout freak if it doesn't translate on the ice. U can workout and be super physically fit but if u can't play then u can't play. Not defending the kid but Kane doesn't look he is this super workout guy. Kane's other assets set him apart from other bigger stronger players. Obviously this is an eye opener for the kid and for whatever team drafts him.

I wonder how many pull ups Kane can do or for than matter Milan Lucic.

I seem to recall Kane only did one rep in the bench press at his combine.

The kids coming out of juniors never seem to have exceptional strength.

Too many games and too much time on the bus.

This all reminds me of the NBA combine in 2007 when Kevin Durant was the only guy out of all the invitees who couldn't do a single bench press rep at 185. The press went crazy and people started calling Durant a sure-fire bust.

Durant, of course, was NBA MVP this year...

With all due respect, he has been playing on a line with Jack Eichel and Alex Tuch...who are both excellent players.

I would much rather get Tuch, than Milano...but that's just how I would rather build my team.

(As for Bennett vs. Reinhart...I have wanted Reinhart for nearly 2 years, and that will not change...he is the superior player/athlete.)

I'd rather have his linemates, too. But I think Milano will still go lower than he should. He was on that elite line for a reason.

Agreed completely on the last part.

Edited by Tankalicious

Just saw video of Bennett's pull-up "attempt." He didn't even move his body upward, at all. It was basically just a muscle flex and then he gave up.

Sam Bennett is considered such a nasty player on the ice... How the hell are we, as fans, supposed to rely on him to scale the glass and fight Bruins fans if he can't do a ###### pull-up? Give me somebody else.

Edited by Tankalicious

WOW. I don't want him anymore.

Yeah kind put me off as well, allthough he is still one of the fastest skaters in this draft.

But looking at the combine vidoes, there seemed to be something wrong with his balance , even dal colle looked better to me.

Just saw video of Bennett's pull-up "attempt." He didn't even move his body upward, at all. It was basically just a muscle flex and then he gave up.

Sam Bennett is considered such a nasty player on the ice... How the hell are we, as fans, supposed to rely on him to scale the glass and fight Bruins fans if he can't do a ###### pull-up? Give me somebody else.

Reinhart please!

NHL Scouting Combine continues to evolve

While center Samuel Bennett, No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's final list of North American skaters eligible for the 2014 Draft, didn't score well in pull-ups, NHL Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr is confident it certainly won't be held against him in the early stages of the first round.

"The fact he can play the game the way he plays the game, I think teams feel he's a pretty complete package and the combine process allows teams to fill in any blanks," Marr said. "The team that will get Sam Bennett knows what work is needed and they'll be able to put him on the proper path for development."

Eliminating Bennett from consideration because of an inability to perform a pullup is silly sauce talk IMO.

Compare the number of star players from the 2007 draft to 2008.

http://en.wikipedia....NHL_Entry_Draft

Vs.

http://en.wikipedia....NHL_Entry_Draft

And does anyone know what the percentage of second and third round players is that acuallu make it to NHL long term?

I've read that 1st round picks outside of the top 10 or so, about 50% make it to the NHL, 2nd rounders are more like 25%, and something like 15% of 3rd rounders make it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.