Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

The more I look at this draft, the more convinced I am that we need to package 39 and 49 to move up as far as that can take us.

There are a lot of good players to be had in the back half of the first round,but there is a real drop-off after picks 30-35.

The more I look at this draft, the more convinced I am that we need to package 39 and 49 to move up as far as that can take us.

There are a lot of good players to be had in the back half of the first round,but there is a real drop-off after picks 30-35.

Would you be willing to move the 2015 pick from St. Louis to back into round 1 this year?

Would you be willing to move the 2015 pick from St. Louis to back into round 1 this year?

Personally, I'd rather keep the 2015 first. You either walk away with three first rounders in a deep draft, or you could package it with either our pick or the isles pick (whichever is farther from that top pick) to move into a better position to hit elite talent. Might even get a second or two out of that deal.

Don't know the back of next year's first well enough.

But theoretically I'd move it for a player we have ranked in the top 15 or so this year.

I don't see the Blues in the lottery next year.

If they traded the St. Louis pick next year for anything less than a top 20 pick this year I would be disappointed, but I'm pretty sure they won't even give thought to trading next year's pick for this year's... Especially considering the fact that Murray said he is looking for more 2015 picks...

If they traded the St. Louis pick next year for anything less than a top 20 pick this year I would be disappointed, but I'm pretty sure they won't even give thought to trading next year's pick for this year's... Especially considering the fact that Murray said he is looking for more 2015 picks...

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray trades Stafford, Stewart, or Ehrhoff if he wants to move up for the player of his liking or moves any of them at trade deadline.

NOW AVAILABLE: FC’s 2014 NHL Draft Guide

Future Considerations is pleased to announce the release of the 2014 NHL Draft Guide, a comprehensive look at what the 2014 NHL Draft class has to offer.

The Guide, published in PDF format, includes over 61,000 words of scouting reports on FC’s top-210 ranked prospects, ranging from projected first overall pick Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts to Sonderjyske goaltender Thomas Lillie at 210.

In all, the Guide includes:

· 2014 NHL Draft Summary

· Top 210 Rankings

· Top 60 Forwards, Top 30 Defensemen, Top 15 Goaltenders Ranking Breakdowns

· 1-30 Extended Draft Profiles

· 31-210 Full Prospect Profiles

· Potential Hidden Gems

· 60 Pick Mock Draft

· 2015 First Round Ranking

· 2015 Top Prospect Profiles

· A Glimpse at 2016

Top 10 Rankings

1 AARON EKBLAD, Barrie, D, 6'4, 215 lbs

2 SAM REINHART, Kootenay, C, 6'1, 185 lbs

3 SAM BENNETT, Kingston, C/LW, 6'0, 180 lbs

4 WILLIAM NYLANDER, Sodertalje, C, 5'11, 170 lbs

5 MICHAEL DAL COLLE, Oshawa, LW/C, 6'2, 180 lbs

6 LEON DRAISAITL, Prince Albert, C, 6'2, 210 lbs

7 NICK RITCHIE, Peterborough, LW, 6'2, 230 lbs

8 NIKOLAJ EHLERS, Halifax, LW, 5'11, 165 lbs

9 BRENDAN PERLINI, Niagara, LW, 6'2, 205 lbs

10 HAYDN FLEURY, Red Deer, D, 6'3, 200 lbs

Would you take Ehlers at 2 over both Sams?

No. Not at two.

I would do whatever it took to move up to 7 through 11 (the range that most "experts" feel Ehlers will go) and hope he is there.

Of course, shrader will be quick to point out that I am looking at this with Mooseheads coloured glasses ... ;)

GO MOOSEHEADS!!

I'd like to see Stewart re-signed.

Stewart isn't much better than Stafford and is actually less consistent, yet some want Stafford out and Stewart kept.

If I were GMTM I would be constantly checking to see what teams will pay for Ehrhoff, Stafford, Stewart and a few others. If you feel like somebody is giving you close to good value ship them out.

Edited by Tankalicious

No. Not at two.

I would do whatever it took to move up to 7 through 11 (the range that most "experts" feel Ehlers will go) and hope he is there.

Of course, shrader will be quick to point out that I am looking at this with Mooseheads coloured glasses ... ;)

GO MOOSEHEADS!!

I think that's a pretty objective take on Ehlers. I think he's a good type of prospect for Buffalo to be interested in. Has the upside to become a top liner, but obviously has an uphill battle to make it in the NHL due to his size. In other words, EHLERS! :lol:

Stewart isn't much better than Stafford and is actually less consistent, yet some want Stafford out and Stewart kept.

This is to be expected. When you watch a player 82 times per year for many years, their flaws are not only noticeable, but extremely bothersome. When you watch a player 50 times over the same span, you may not notice their weaknesses and if you do, it's unlikely to bother you nearly as much.

Is it too much to ask for the Blues to come crashing down to Earth?

The Buffalo Sabres, the first team in history to have the #1, #2 and #3 overall picks in a professional sports draft.

The Blues COULD miss next year, but it's very unlikely. That stated, my ideal scenario has the Isles finishing 30, Sabres 29, with the Blues getting the golden ticket for their 18th place finish. Throw in that pick the Sabres get from Calgary for sending them Stafford & Stewart and then the Sabres have the 1st 4 picks in '15. :beer:

What about trading with edmonton this year and getting #3 anyone think that could happen.

Why would either team do it?

EDIT: thought you meant swapping two and three.

Edited by Tankalicious

Oilers would be interested in Ehrhoff and/or Myers. Sabres would be interested in Eberle and other young Oiler forwards.

Picks may be the extra ingredient to make something happen?

Sabres want both Sams? Oilers want Ekblad?

I do believe Tim would sacrifice pick two in a deal for the right young player.

So you should all read this article because it is quite fascinating IMPO. It takes the Vancouver Canucks drafts starting in 2000 and it compares them to an intern who's only information is the pts CHL players scored in their draft eligible year and he must take the one with the most points. Defenders and Goalies are excluded. Let's just say the Canucks really stink at drafting compared to the intern.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/5/20/we-think-the-vancouver-canucks-may-have-a-scouting-problem

Combine gives teams full scope of top prospects

Many of the top prospects eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft will be put to the ultimate test this week in an effort to impress potential future employers at the NHL Scouting Combine in Toronto.

The primary purpose of the Combine, which runs May 26-31, is to aid all 30 NHL teams in the player selection process. NHL Central Scouting invited 119 players from North America and Europe to take part.

The Combine will allow NHL scouts and general managers an opportunity to interview as many prospects as they wish during a five-day period from May 26-30.

"By the time the Combine rolls around we've done our checking, but what I look for in an interview is the maturity level and how far along they are in that area," Buffalo Sabres assistant general manager Kevin Devine told NHL.com. "That usually determines how far away they are from playing in the NHL. But I don't think the interviews are going to jump anyone five or six draft spots either.

"They could jump a spot or two if guys are professionals in the interviews, but there won't be any big jump at the top, especially with the top five in this draft class."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.