Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

What scenario would you rather have more Liger?

We take whichever Sam you don't want, or Drasaitl, and snag Karlsson.

or

We take whomever you believe to be the best player at #2 and we don't get Karlsson.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Karlsson after this draft, you've gotten me interested to see where he goes in the NHL

I'd take either Sam honestly. Karlsson is a player that could be a sleeper or a bust. I find him to be a very interesting prospect.

Which is?

Couldn't tell you with 100% certainty. Just looking at stats his international performance took a huge dip. On Sweden's U18 and U20 teams he posted 8 points in 28 games (zero points in 12 WJC games). 0 points in 9 games while playing in Sweden's second best league.

His league numbers are good outside of playing for Mora, but the international numbers are bad. He captained a Sweden team that disappointed with a seventh-place finish.

Edited by Tankalicious

No, it was definitely an overpayment. McNabb has more value than Deslauriers. Fasching was a fourth-rounder a year before. I understand that his performance that year warranted more success, but they basically traded two seconds for Fasching.

Do you think McNabb will win a roster spot in LA?

No, it was definitely an overpayment. McNabb has more value than Deslauriers. Fasching was a fourth-rounder a year before. I understand that his performance that year warranted more success, but they basically traded two seconds for Fasching.

What is this based on? McNabb couldn't crack the lineup of the worst team in the NHL. And, as XB noted, McNabb will probably have to clear waivers next fall -- i.e. the Kings will probably waive him before they ever dress him for a game.

I think a fair way of looking at this trade is that TM accelerated the development of 2 (low) second-rounders by exchanging those picks for 2 prospects, both of whom have demonstrated some upside. McNabb was the price he paid for that acceleration -- but it wasn't a high price.

He'll play in the NHL again at some point. Not sure if it'll be LA, but he still had more value at the time than Deslauriers. So they're a wash, at worst.

I didn't like the trade at the time. I still don't really like it, but I'm glad to have Fasching. The two seconds are what I had issue with. That's a steep price for Fasching. Deslauriers has shown us that he's got a physical presence, but let's not get ahead of ourselves on him. It's no guarantee that he makes the team next year. He got a shot due to injuries and forward trades. If there were as many defense spots as forward spots McNabb would've played in Buffalo. McNabb DID crack the lineup at some points.

I'm over it, but it was certainly an overpayment based on value at the time.

Edited by Tankalicious

I'll chime in on this one. It looks like a spot certainly will be there for the taking. They've got 5 d-men under contract for next year. I could see them re-signing Greene, but Willie Mitchell is probably at the end of his career. So I'd guess that he would have a decent shot of at least sticking as the 7th guy. He definitely fits that physical mold that they seem to like.

He'll play in the NHL again at some point. Not sure if it'll be LA, but he still had more value at the time than Deslauriers. So they're a wash, at worst.

I didn't like the trade at the time. I still don't really like it, but I'm glad to have Fasching. The two seconds are what I had issue with. That's a steep price for Fasching. Deslauriers has shown us that he's got a physical presence, but let's not get ahead of ourselves on him. It's no guarantee that he makes the team next year. He got a shot due to injuries and forward trades. If there were as many defense spots as forward spots McNabb would've played in Buffalo. McNabb DID crack the lineup at some points.

I'm over it, but it was certainly an overpayment based on value at the time.

Strongly disagree, getting Fasching was a steal. Fasching was drafted young at age 17. If he re-entered this years draft he'd be a first rounder.

Well worth a 2014 2nd round pick at #60 and most likely a 2015 2nd round pick between #50-#60.

No way LA wanted to give up Fasching, but they needed ammo for a package to get Gaborik.

@neatebuzzthenet

Leon Draisaitl says he'll train a bit in Ottawa to work on his explosive starts. #whl #NHLDraft2014 pic.twitter.com/MekxgdGyS6

Just watching the highlight packages (not knowing their exact stats) I would take Sam Bennett if available. Either Sam would be fine with me though.

Sudden Sam vs Cerebral Sam. Like you, I'm fine with either guy @ #2.

I have not paid a lot of attention to Karlsson, but I note he dropped all the way to 86 in the Hockey News rankings.

Deslauriers and McNabb are probably a wash; we traded from a position of strength to bolster a position of weakness.

Fasching would have been picked in the 20s if the draft was done over again.

I will take the 25th pick for two picks in the 50s every time.

And again, we acquired the type of player we need.

Edited by dudacek

One on One with Sam Bennett <1:44>

Mark Roe chats with Sam Bennett ahead of the 2014 NHL Combine in Toronto.

Top of 2014 NHL Draft could hold surprises

Unpredictability is the word that would describe the perfect storm that's about to hit Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia at the 2014 NHL Draft, which starts June 27.

Will the Florida Panthers keep the No. 1 pick and opt for the projected best draft-eligible defenseman, Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts? Would that open the door for the Buffalo Sabres to select a Doug Gilmour clone, Samuel Bennett of the Kingston Frontenacs?

Mark Roe gives a summary of the NHL Scouting Combine and a look ahead to physical testing on Saturday.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Greene and Mitchell are both UFA's. Considering their recent injury troubles, I doubt either is brought back. Made sense for LA to target a young defensemen that fit their system. I highly doubt McNabb won't be in their bottom pairing next season with Martinez or someone else.

Greene and Mitchell are both UFA's. Considering their recent injury troubles, I doubt either is brought back. Made sense for LA to target a young defensemen that fit their system. I highly doubt McNabb won't be in their bottom pairing next season with Martinez or someone else.

I think both are back and Derek Forbort is waiting in the wings too.

McNabb didn't exactly crack the Sabres. Unless he has a monster camp he's probably organizational depth.

I think both are back and Derek Forbort is waiting in the wings too.

McNabb didn't exactly crack the Sabres. Unless he has a monster camp he's probably organizational depth.

Well I think McNabb would fit their bottom pair with Martinez well. I doubt they bring both back in my opinion.

I'd be fine with standing pat this year. Aside from Milano and Demko there aren't any guys that really interest me later in the first. I see the same talent at 31 as I do at 20 or so aside from Milano. And Demko will likely be there in the second.

I just don't think the Kings would Acquire McNabb if he wasn't in their plans

I don't think the players in the mid teens are significantly better than those in the mid-20s.

But there are a lot of players in the back half of the first that look really interesting.

After 31, there seems to be a real drop off.

I just don't think the Kings would Acquire McNabb if he wasn't in their plans

I don't think the players in the mid teens are significantly better than those in the mid-20s.

But there are a lot of players in the back half of the first that look really interesting.

After 31, there seems to be a real drop off.

Not really. There is a huge mix of guys from the early twenties to possibly even the early 40s. There isn't a drop off right after our second pick.

More realistically I'd say 20 to about 36 or so will get you similar talent. A guy like Ryan McInnis can go anywhere from 20 to the mid second. Guys like Chase De Leo, Robby Fabbri and Connor Bleakley can move around quite a bit.

Edited by Tankalicious

So Sam Bennett couldn't manage 1 pull up at the combine. Not saying that necesarrily matters but it tells me he has a lot of strength and conditioning training to do this summer.

That's honestly one of the more pathetic things I've ever heard when it comes to athlete training.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.