Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

So Sam Bennett couldn't manage 1 pull up at the combine. Not saying that necesarrily matters but it tells me he has a lot of strength and conditioning training to do this summer.

That's honestly one of the more pathetic things I've ever heard when it comes to athlete training.

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=622708&lang=en

I don't know. If he's this good without proper training, imagine how good he'll be with a strength and conditioning coach. Just a thought.

This is the 1st time that pullups have been part of fitness testing at the NHL combine. Pullups were added in place of pushups.

An able-bodied 18 year old man should be able to do one pull-up. The fact that he cannot means that he is not fit. I don't care if it's the first time he's ever tried one.

So Sam Bennett couldn't manage 1 pull up at the combine. Not saying that necesarrily matters but it tells me he has a lot of strength and conditioning training to do this summer.

Watching Kings-Blackhawks last night and hearing this news this morning is not a good combination. If you want to win the Cup, you need to be able to bulk up, be strong, and impose your will on other men. Is Sam Bennett going to be able to do that?

An able-bodied 18 year old man should be able to do one pull-up. The fact that he cannot means that he is not fit. I don't care if it's the first time he's ever tried one.

No argument from me. Not a single one? That's pretty bad. I still think he's a dynamic talent, but certainly has some work to do in the strength department. Fortunately, at 18 years old he has plenty of time with a good regimen of diet and exercise.

I don't know. If he's this good without proper training, imagine how good he'll be with a strength and conditioning coach. Just a thought.

That's how I'm choosing to look at it. I hope this doesn't get blown out of proportion, but I will say that I don't care how much he trains over the summer, if we draft him I don't want him anywhere near the NHL.

Watching Kings-Blackhawks last night and hearing this news this morning is not a good combination. If you want to win the Cup, you need to be able to bulk up, be strong, and impose your will on other men. Is Sam Bennett going to be able to do that?

I have to agree. But in all fairness I don't care if the kid was a workout freak if it doesn't translate on the ice. U can workout and be super physically fit but if u can't play then u can't play. Not defending the kid but Kane doesn't look he is this super workout guy. Kane's other assets set him apart from other bigger stronger players. Obviously this is an eye opener for the kid and for whatever team drafts him.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

No argument from me. Not a single one? That's pretty bad. I still think he's a dynamic talent, but certainly has some work to do in the strength department. Fortunately, at 18 years old he has plenty of time with a good regimen of diet and exercise.

Then for his sake and ours, I hope the Oilers have a good training staff.

Edited by Eleven

Top prospects Bennett and Kapanen survive Combine

Forwards Samuel Bennett of the Ontario Hockey League's Kingston Frontenacs and Kasperi Kapanen of KalPa in Finland's SM-liiga certainly had their share of good and bad moments during the fitness stage of the 2014 NHL Scouting Combine at Toronto International Centre on Saturday.

The good news is that both blue chip prospects completed all the required tests in the morning. The bad news is they each "lost it" after undergoing the grueling VO2 Max bike test that measures the endurance capability of a player's heart, lungs and muscles.

"The bikes were interesting," Bennett said. "I didn't really hear the people shouting at me too much. I was more focused on my burning legs. I guess they were there to motivate and it helped a little.

"I didn't hold down my breakfast too well."

This is the 1st time that pullups have been part of fitness testing at the NHL combine. Pullups were added in place of pushups.

Unless pull-ups are replacing the shootout I really couldn't care less.

If the Sabres don't draft Bennett I'd like to see the kid fall to #4 and the Calgary Flames. I think a combination of Bennett and Monahan is solid start to a rebuild in Calgary.

I'm under the impression that basically everybody throws up after the VO2 max. Every description I've ever heard is brutal.

Wouldn't surprise me if that is true:

@TSN1050Radio

Intense! #NHLCombine http://instagram.com/p/oq-zQfjp7L/

Head of NHL Central Scouting Dan Marr speaks to Jack Michaels at the Scouting Combine in Toronto. <4:29>

ICYMI on the SabreSpace Main Page, this is a good article that provides insight into Murray's philosophy on how to build a team:

Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray aiming to rebuild roster through upcoming NHL draft

So while most outsiders are fixated on the top-4 in this draft, Buffalo Sabres general manager Tim Murray, who has the No. 2 overall pick, said his team’s success depends more on what he does with the three selections in the second round.

“The way to rebuild is to draft well so that you can trade well and then you use free agency to put you over the top,” said Murray. “If you can hit on a couple of seconds and a couple of thirds, you might be able to trade for that real good player down the road.”

ICYMI on the SabreSpace Main Page, this is a good article that provides insight into Murray's philosophy on how to build a team:

Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray aiming to rebuild roster through upcoming NHL draft

I am fairly certain we discussed the lack of ability for the Oilers to select players beyond round 1, which is the exact reason they perpetually suck. The Pens have been having a similar problem lately.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.