Nail Yakupov rumored to sabres

papazoid

And just so you know, there was talk Wednesday afternoon that the Sabres were working on a deal with Edmonton that would send Ryan Miller or Thomas Vanek and possibly both to the Oilers in a package that would bring Nail Yakupov and more to Buffalo. Whether it actually happens is another story. But as it stood Wednesday, the two sides had considered, or were considering, a major swap.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/word-is-getting-around-on-darcy-sabres-making-deal-20131016

(5' 11", 185 lbs , soft and absolutely plays no defense. sounds like the ideal player darcy likes.)

He’s looked lost without the puck and is guilty of trying to do too much individually when he has it. Eakins hoped to get his attention by benching him for a pair of recent games. Instead, a petulant Yakupov said, “I don’t really like playing without the puck, skate all the time and do forecheck and hit somebody every shift — I don’t think it’s my game.”

http://nhl.si.com/2013/10/16/russian-olympic-scout-edmonton-oilers-nail-yakupov-has-no-future/

well... if that is how the kid thinks, I don't want him. I know a lot of coaches think "i can fix him" but most of the time that doesn't work out. I'm all for young potential but the kid has to want to change his game and it doesn't sound like he wants to.

I'd much prefer to re-sign both Miller and Vanek but if we can't get them to sign extensions and we could move one of them (not both) plus some secondary type pieces for Yakupov I would be ok with it. We are extremely thin on the right side and we need players who can put the damn puck in the net. This would only work if we could give a line of xxxx-Grigorenko-Yakupov sheltered offensive minutes and put a left winger with them who is defensively responsible. I just think that if we're forced to unload one of our 2 best players I'd rather bring in an offensive talent like Yakupov then some combination of a mid to low first round pick and a couple of middling prospects.

For a good decade, Regier talked about the importance of having young players earn their way into the league and making sure they rode the AHL’s buses. They would be more prepared for, and more appreciative of, the NHL.

It’s one reason players like Jason Pominville and Brian Campbell developed into good two-way players. They were allowed to make mistakes in the minors, and they continued to improve after adjusting to playing with the big boys.

Regier has since made a terrible U-turn or become a hypocrite. His roster is loaded with kids who are either rookies who jumped straight to the NHL or young players who didn’t spend enough time in the minors. Looking at their record and seeing players regress, it shows.

Now let's see. What happened between the time Pominville and Campbell were in the AHL and today? The new CBA in 2005 which changed the entry level restrictions. We've seen it league-wide since then, the increased importance of young guys who make the jump relatively quickly.

I don't have much issue with most Gleason says, but it seems like every time he tries to lump in everything he can to criticize Darcy, even when it makes little sense. The problem with this team is not its use of young players, it's that they don't have to right veterans surrounding them.

I think I'd be on board with a trade for Yak that includes Miller as the major piece. I don't know how much more I'd give up on top of Miller though if Edmonton was able to re-sign him.

He's obviously started out horribly this year and I admit to not watching too many Edmonton games (partly because I'm still pissed at them for the Vanek signing). Looking at his stats though he scored 17 goals in the shortened year last season. That equates to a 29 goal season if he played 82. As a rookie, those are huge numbers and God knows after Vanek leaves we need a couple more pure goal scorers.

Now let's see. What happened between the time Pominville and Campbell were in the AHL and today? The new CBA in 2005 which changed the entry level restrictions. We've seen it league-wide since then, the increased importance of young guys who make the jump relatively quickly.

I don't have much issue with most Gleason says, but it seems like every time he tries to lump in everything he can to criticize Darcy, even when it makes little sense. The problem with this team is not its use of young players, it's that they don't have to right veterans surrounding them.

But Darcy has been here long enough where he's the one who chose those veterans. Heck, someone he drafted in his first year could already be retired by now.

But Darcy has been here long enough where he's the one who chose those veterans. Heck, someone he drafted in his first year could already be retired by now.

And it is fine to blame him for that. My point is not to make up BS reasons to throw blame at his feet. That ruins your credibility.

One issue I have with this trade is that I don't trust DR to make any decisions for this franchise, especially a major one like this.

And I thought Bucky's column was a load of self-serving crapola. "I know it seems like I don't have any sources inside the Sabres organization -- that's because I don't trust them." Please.

I wouldn't have a problem dealing for Yakupov as long as the Sabres are only parting ways with a package centered around Vanek/Miller, and not surrendering significant assets. They'll be lucky to get a high first round pick for either of them, and that's what Yak is/was. Based on current media reports, there's obviously a risk with Yak, but there's the same risk with any mid-to-late round first round pick (especially in a weak draft like 2014).

One issue I have with this trade is that I don't trust DR to make any decisions for this franchise, especially a major one like this.

And I thought Bucky's column was a load of self-serving crapola. "I know it seems like I don't have any sources inside the Sabres organization -- that's because I don't trust them." Please.

I'm as done with Bucky as I am with Darcy.

shrader, nice point above re: entry level restrictions

Thank you, but no thank you. We have Grigorenko who plays a very similar game, but was actually defensively capable in juniors

can the phrase "defensively capable" be used in conjunction with any player in the Q?

We want number one picks, right?

Ha. Well-played.

I know nothing about the guy, but getting an elite prospect (not an elite player, mind you) for Miller on an expiring deal plus a little something else would be a very nice return.

Selfish-no defence-ignores coach-puts himself above team and team mates, why not ? Just what we need and sounding more and more like Darcys type of player.

no thanks.

If he can change his game, sure why not.

How many great offensive players in history would that description fit? Did Mario forecheck like crazy, hustle back on defense and lay the body?

That's a pretty gross distortion of what he wrote.

Archived