Nail Yakupov rumored to sabres

papazoid

Well I think they are 2 different players. One for me is a play maker and the other is a scorer. But to answer your question What I don't like about the quote is that he is basically saying "thats it and I dont wanna change it". I don't remember Briere being like "well I am not good on defense and thats never gonna change."

If Yakupov would have said... hey look the hard skating and hitting game isn't mine Ill try to improve here and be a more overall player but its gonna be tough.

That would have been a different story for me but it sounds like "I can not do that so I am not gonna try."

depending on how you interpret the quote and realizing that english is not his first language, I have read it a couple times and I don't think its as bad as how people are interpreting it from how its written.

It sounds like the kid is just being honest with himself and everyone else. He is a goal scorer and an offessive player, he isn't going to change his game to become more of a 2-way player or play more of a physical game. He does say that he might get better at parts of the game where he doesn't have the puck or forecheck more, but he loves having the puck and thats what he excels at. He then says that going out every shift to forecheck and hit isn't parts of the game he likes doing and that, although he doesn't say he won't do it, just that he won't be doing it every shift. The way its written, it does make him sound lazy, which is something that can be troublesome when looking at a player, but your almost never going to have a perfect team of all hard working, hard hitting 2-way players. Right now, having the chance to get a very young, high potential goal scorer should be a huge priority for this team if they can get it. You would hate to give up someone like Miller, or Vanek (wouldn't it be ironic to see Vanek go to Edmonton at the end of the deal they forced the Sabres to give him?) is something you would hate to see happen, but thats going to be the price for "elite" potential talent. I would much rather trade Edmonton a package of myers and Enroth, and re-sign Miller to team with Hackett, but I don't know if that would be enough for the oilers

So you want to trade a first round pick?

Lets be clear I never said we shouldn't get Yakupov but I am not on the "OMFG YAKUPOV IS JESUS!" bandwagon. He could be good. Time will tell. I am not trading Miller, Vanek, 1st rounder and Myers for Yakupov though.

No I didn't see all the players and picks involved. I was simply responding to if I would want him here or not. I agree with you that if it included Miller, Vanek, a first, and Myers I would never do it. Nor would DR I would hope.

So you're against adding a guy who scored 31 points in 48 games, but in another thread said you had trouble wrapping your head around dealing Zadorov, who hasn't put a single skate on regular season NHL ice? C'mon man! :P

I'm with you on the 1st round pick. To paraphrase Charlton Heston, another team can pry that pick out of my cold dead hands.

Zadorov is going to be something special. There is a way about him that is outstandingly professional. He improved in just 1 summer in Buffalo. I think Zadorov's potential hasn't even remotely been tapped yet.

No I didn't see all the players and picks involved. I was simply responding to if I would want him here or not. I agree with you that if it included Miller, Vanek, a first, and Myers I would never do it. Nor would DR I would hope.

I would trade our first pick this year for him. Yup I said it. If you want Yakupov... Miller conditional pick if Miller doesn't resign (tops would be our worst 2nd rounder)

So you want to trade a first round pick?

Lets be clear I never said we shouldn't get Yakupov but I am not on the "OMFG YAKUPOV IS JESUS!" bandwagon. He could be good. Time will tell. I am not trading Miller, Vanek, 1st rounder and Myers for Yakupov though.

No one is calling him jesus, but there are many calling him a bust or not someone worth obtaining cause he isn't an great 2-way player

Also, no one is saying they would trade those guys for Miller. the rumor was Miller for Yak, or Miller and vanek for a package including Yak

For Miller, Vanek, a 1st and Myers they better be throwing in Hall, Nugent Hopkins, or Eberle in the deal with Yak too

Zadorov is going to be something special. There is a way about him that is outstandingly professional. He improved in just 1 summer in Buffalo. I think Zadorov's potential hasn't even remotely been tapped yet.

I would trade our first pick this year for him. Yup I said it. If you want Yakupov... Miller conditional pick if Miller doesn't resign (tops would be our worst 2nd rounder)

1) It would be nice if you would keep your evaluation criteria for players even remotely level between them. Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games, and he's unproven. Zadorov has done zero in zero games played, and he's going to be special?

2) I don't think Miller and a conditional pick gets you anywhere near Yakupov.

He has proven, in 48 games, that he can score in the NHL. A draft pick in 2014 has not scored a goal in the NHL. Our four first round picks in the last 2 years have a combined 1 goal. I think he would be worth the risk!!

This is not true.

1) It would be nice if you would keep your evaluation criteria for players even remotely level between them. Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games, and he's unproven. Zadorov has done zero in zero games played, and he's going to be special?

I am not saying Zadorov is proven. I am saying I think he will be really good. I think Yakopuv will probably also pan out and be really good. All that said I am not giving up Miller and lots of crap for Yakupov. Aint happening. Good thing I am not in charge of the team I suppose.

I think it does, Eakins does not like him, and they are DESPERATE for a goaltending upgrade. If they just wanted any upgrade, they could go after Bryz for free, or take a chance on DiPietro for nothing also. There are others that they could get that would come cheaper but haven't been proven as a solid upgrade as a #1 goalie. Miller is a proven #1 goalie and can jump them from bottom of the West into the playoff picture pretty quickly this season.

I am not saying Zadorov is proven. I am saying I think he will be really good. I think Yakopuv will probably also pan out and be really good. All that said I am not giving up Miller and lots of crap for Yakupov. Aint happening. Good thing I am not in charge of the team I suppose.

I don't think anyone, even the rumors are saying the Sabres would be giving up Miller and lots of crap for him.

Although I would give them Miller and lots of crap over Miller and lots of good stuff for Yak

This is not true.

You are correct, 2 goals and 5 assists

You can add an extra Goal and 4 assists (Pysyk) and say that is the total NHL production from all of their draft picks since 2010 though...........

The Oilers have given up the most goals in the NHL this year (32) and Dubnyk (.829 save %) has been terrible. That the Oilers would want an upgrade in goal makes a ton of sense. They are loaded with scorers and need a top goaltender to make a serious playoff run.

The Vanek part of the rumor doesn't make much sense at all... doubtful he'd resign there, they are already good on the left side (Hall, Perron, Smyth), and that would be a ton of salary for them to take on. I'd have to be a much bigger trade for him to be a part of it.

I think it does, Eakins does not like him, and they are DESPERATE for a goaltending upgrade. If they just wanted any upgrade, they could go after Bryz for free, or take a chance on DiPietro for nothing also. There are others that they could get that would come cheaper but haven't been proven as a solid upgrade as a #1 goalie. Miller is a proven #1 goalie and can jump them from bottom of the West into the playoff picture pretty quickly this season.

Good stuff. I think the key is that the trade would have to happen early this season (maybe even right now) to make sense. If Edmonton falls too far out of the playoff picture, they have no reason to do this.

Unfortunately, Regier is not especially adept at making trades away from the deadline. Or at making big trades at all.

I would trade for Yak if it was Miller and McNabb going back the other way. It's obvious Buffalo needs scoring and all those high first rounders Edmonton used for forwards and no defense are killing them. Now if Schultz never left Anaheim they would be much worse. Maybe Yak and Grigs could get there ###### together.

I think that is a sensible trade provided Miller agrees to an extension with Edmonton, of course. I think just Miller is a little light and the Oilers don't really need more firepower up front. They clearly need goaltending and defense.

BTW - Yakupov led the Oilers in goals last year as a 19 year old rookie. He scored only 3 fewer than Vanek and more than any other Sabre last year.

Its from Nick Krypreos, so take it with a grain of salt...

Note with trade talk, #Sabres Ryan Miller does have a limited no trade clause and #Oilers are one of the teams on his no trade list.

What is the source of that list and what are the other teams on the list ? I wouldn't think Miller would want to go to Edmonton, unless it's just a Western

Conference thing and seeing his wife a little more ...

What is the source of that list and what are the other teams on the list ? I wouldn't think Miller would want to go to Edmonton, unless it's just a Western

Conference thing and seeing his wife a little more ...

The Oilers are apparently on the list. Not sure what Kypreos source is or even if it is reliable.

Serious question for you and everyone else who will use this quote as a reason they don't want Yakupov. Would you take Briere in his prime right now? I'm not saying Yakupov is currently Briere in his prime, but Briere was utterly useless at everything other than producing offense, and he was beloved.

Which is why Lindy would team him up with guys like Hecht, Pominville, Dumont. Defensively responsible players aleviating Danny of much defensive zone responsibility. I don't recall Danny on a line with Afinogeov...ever.

If the Oilers ask for Pysyk to be included in the deal and Sabres get Yakupov and a conditional draft choice dependent upon whether Miller agrees to an extension, would you complete the trade?

I don't like Yak that much to give up Pysyk. Pysyk worked hard to correct his skating since he worked with Buffalo's skating coach and he plays solid in his own end. No way I trade Pysyk. McNabb and Miller and for Yak seems more than enough. Who cares if he was 1st overall. Daigle was 1st overall and he didn't last long in the league. Miller is proven and has faced more shots than any goalie in the league right now and besides one game has held this team in every game. Throw McNabb in since he's still young and has potential.

I don't like Yak that much to give up Pysyk. Pysyk worked hard to correct his skating since he worked with Buffalo's skating coach and he plays solid in his own end. No way I trade Pysyk. McNabb and Miller and for Yak seems more than enough. Who cares if he was 1st overall. Daigle was 1st overall and he didn't last long in the league. Miller is proven and has faced more shots than any goalie in the league right now and besides one game has held this team in every game. Throw McNabb in since he's still young and has potential.

I'm not desperate to trade for Yak because we'll probably draft high enough in June to get someone very similar (or better, if he's a total flake).

Sabres should. Be stockpiling guys like Psysk, not trading him for a quick fix.

If the Oilers ask for Pysyk to be included in the deal and Sabres get Yakupov and a conditional draft choice dependent upon whether Miller agrees to an extension, would you complete the trade?

I wouldn't do Pysyk, but would you do Miller + Myers? That is an interesting one... I think I would do that trade.

Archived