Nail Yakupov rumored to sabres

papazoid

This wouldn't back up all the things they said in the past.

"Looking for players who work hard night in and night out and every day off the ice in the off-season." Yakupov does not strike me as this kind of player. Doesn't look like the guy who finishes every hit and hustles every second.

That's a pretty gross distortion of what he wrote.

It’s not much different inside the organization, where for years there has been a growing sentiment that he should be given the heave-ho. Are the same people who speak to me also speaking to Kypreos? It’s very unlikely. There’s a greater chance he’s getting his information from sources who are independent from mine.

Frankly, I don’t know if Regier is in trouble. The timing doesn’t make sense to me. If they were going to fire him, they should have made the move in May after seeing him spend more money on a team in reverse. Or they would have fired him when Terry Pegula bought the team, when people in his inner circle suggested he make a change.

But you should know several Sabres employees, who still work there, insisted in 2009 that reports of Pegula purchasing the team were bogus. One member of management had the audacity to tell me to stop getting my information from popcorn vendors. A few months later, Pegula bought the franchise.

Regardless, I learned a few years ago to stop listening to what the Sabres say and watch what they do. I’ve made the mistake of listening to the hierarchy in the past and been burned. I’ve come to ignore their message, allowing the results to speak for them.

This wouldn't back up all the things they said in the past.

"Looking for players who work hard night in and night out and every day off the ice in the off-season." Yakupov does not strike me as this kind of player. Doesn't look like the guy who finishes every hit and hustles every second.

Teams don't give up those type of players for players with expiring contracts. As stated many times before - we have minimal leverage in these deals. I would take him in a heartbeat.

The reality is Miller has about 50 games left in his Buffalo career. The kid scored 19 goals last year as a rookie. we don't have anybody on this team that will score 19 goals all year.

He is young and has tremendous upside. He just needs to mature. People complained about Kovalchuk when he was young as well and he turned into a great talent. MIller is not going to net you a great return. If Darcy makes this happen then I thin they will keep him thru the trade deadline to see what other deals he can make.

"I’m not happy about it. I just want to play every game," Yakupov said. "I’m going to play my game … I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.

Does not matter if he scores 19 goals. This is not a quote of a player I would like to see on this team.

Does not matter if he scores 19 goals. This is not a quote of a player I would like to see on this team.

He is young and, like most quote, could have been taken out of context. They even mentioned that the other night during the NBCSN telecast.

Here is the deal. He has proven talent. Give me my choice between him or a #1 pick in 2014 and it's a no brainer.

For or against, I would not get too worked up over this speculation. Consider the source - Bucky Gleason. I would be surprised if anyone in a position to know anything with the Sabres ever talks to Bucky. He is not credible in my opinion. From Edmonton's standpoint, why would they trade anything of value for two players who are highly unlikely to resign with them after this season. It is not like this puts them in the chase for the cup this year. Does not even make sense.

Serious question for you and everyone else who will use this quote as a reason they don't want Yakupov. Would you take Briere in his prime right now? I'm not saying Yakupov is currently Briere in his prime, but Briere was utterly useless at everything other than producing offense, and he was beloved.

Serious question for you and everyone else who will use this quote as a reason they don't want Yakupov. Would you take Briere in his prime right now? I'm not saying Yakupov is currently Briere in his prime, but Briere was utterly useless at everything other than producing offense, and he was beloved.

Well I think they are 2 different players. One for me is a play maker and the other is a scorer. But to answer your question What I don't like about the quote is that he is basically saying "thats it and I dont wanna change it". I don't remember Briere being like "well I am not good on defense and thats never gonna change."

If Yakupov would have said... hey look the hard skating and hitting game isn't mine Ill try to improve here and be a more overall player but its gonna be tough.

That would have been a different story for me but it sounds like "I can not do that so I am not gonna try."

For or against, I would not get too worked up over this speculation. Consider the source - Bucky Gleason. I would be surprised if anyone in a position to know anything with the Sabres ever talks to Bucky. He is not credible in my opinion. From Edmonton's standpoint, why would they trade anything of value for two players who are highly unlikely to resign with them after this season. It is not like this puts them in the chase for the cup this year. Does not even make sense.

because right now they are desperate for an upgrade at goaltending and feel they could be a playoff team with the upgrade. They need to start winning or else their fan base is going to riot

Yak is part of a surplus of young talented forwards that can be expendable to get back a missing piece, and he seems to have fallen out of favour with the current coach.

the Oilers best trade chips right now are their young forwards and its what every team is going to ask for from them. Miller is the best and most proven goaltender available that would provide them with a huge boost/upgrade, so if your going to have to give up something of value to upgrade that spot, Yak would be that piece.

Well I think they are 2 different players. One for me is a play maker and the other is a scorer. But to answer your question What I don't like about the quote is that he is basically saying "thats it and I dont wanna change it". I don't remember Briere being like "well I am not good on defense and thats never gonna change."

If Yakupov would have said... hey look the hard skating and hitting game isn't mine Ill try to improve here and be a more overall player but its gonna be tough.

That would have been a different story for me but it sounds like "I can not do that so I am not gonna try."

I don't care at all what Briere did or didn't say, I care what he did. He made zero effort to improve his defensive play and was King Coaster on the backcheck and in the defensive zone. Is this really okay just because he didn't come out and say defense wasn't his game? Words are wind.

That's what the sabres need, a guy who admits he doesn't like to skate hard all the time, or hit or be hit, no wonder Edmonton don't want him, But he should fit in just fine in Buffalo. Darcy get the deal done, and sign this guy. Make it another long term contract for huge money. We can worry about another, and here comes the RE word, REGURGITATION of this team in 2023.

He is young and, like most quote, could have been taken out of context. They even mentioned that the other night during the NBCSN telecast.

Here is the deal. He has proven talent. Give me my choice between him or a #1 pick in 2014 and it's a no brainer.

No he isn't. Not in the NHL. He has 31pts in 1 shortened season. He is anything but proven.

Yakupov for Miller straight up I'd do in a second. Yakupov for Miller + one of our depth defensemen I'd probably do as well. Yakupov for Miller + Vanek I wouldn't do.

Things I like about Yakupov:

1. He is only 20 and has only played about 50 NHL games... kid scored 31 points in 48 games last year as a 19 year old rookie. That doesn't suck.

2. We're short of scoring right wingers and that's his position. Vanek - CoHo - Yakupov wouldn't be a terrible first line.

3. Lest we forget, we're the weakest offensive team in the league, so adding a guy who can put the puck in the net for a pending free agent who is sure to leave (Miller) isn't terrible.

4. All the complaining about puck possession on this board... this is a guy who can carry the puck.

5. As I see it, no one on the Oilers plays defense... so perhaps he can learn to play some "d" in a different system?

6. Picking him up would give fans like me a reason to watch games in the short term!

I don't care at all what Briere did or didn't say, I care what he did. He made zero effort to improve his defensive play and was King Coaster on the backcheck and in the defensive zone. Is this really okay just because he didn't come out and say defense wasn't his game? Words are wind.

Yeah I see your point. Maybe it's because I was never a fan of Kovalchuk either. Those type of player don't strike me as players who pull themselves out of tough situations.

Would Yakupov be an improvement? Sure.

No he isn't. Not in the NHL. He has 31pts in 1 shortened season. He is anything but proven.

He has proven, in 48 games, that he can score in the NHL. A draft pick in 2014 has not scored a goal in the NHL. Our four first round picks in the last 2 years have a combined 1 goal. I think he would be worth the risk!!

Yakupov for Miller straight up I'd do in a second. Yakupov for Miller + one of our depth defensemen I'd probably do as well. Yakupov for Miller + Vanek I wouldn't do.

Things I like about Yakupov:

1. He is only 20 and has only played about 50 NHL games... kid scored 31 points in 48 games last year as a 19 year old rookie. That doesn't suck.

2. We're short of scoring right wingers and that's his position. Vanek - CoHo - Yakupov wouldn't be a terrible first line.

3. Lest we forget, we're the weakest offensive team in the league, so adding a guy who can put the puck in the net for a pending free agent who is sure to leave (Miller) isn't terrible.

4. All the complaining about puck possession on this board... this is a guy who can carry the puck.

5. As I see it, no one on the Oilers plays defense... so perhaps he can learn to play some "d" in a different system?

6. Picking him up would give fans like me a reason to watch games in the short term!

If you think Yakupov will become more D minded playing in Buffalos system, your sadly mistaken. Buffalps D is the worst in the league, loos at the shots they give up every game.

He has proven, in 48 games, that he can score in the NHL. A draft pick in 2014 has not scored a goal in the NHL. Our four first round picks in the last 2 years have a combined 1 goal. I think he would be worth the risk!!

So you want to trade a first round pick?

Lets be clear I never said we shouldn't get Yakupov but I am not on the "OMFG YAKUPOV IS JESUS!" bandwagon. He could be good. Time will tell. I am not trading Miller, Vanek, 1st rounder and Myers for Yakupov though.

So you're against adding a guy who scored 31 points in 48 games, but in another thread said you had trouble wrapping your head around dealing Zadorov, who hasn't put a single skate on regular season NHL ice? C'mon man! :P

So you want to trade a first round pick?

Lets be clear I never said we shouldn't get Yakupov but I am not on the "OMFG YAKUPOV IS JESUS!" bandwagon. He could be good. Time will tell. I am not trading Miller, Vanek, 1st rounder and Myers for Yakupov though.

I'm with you on the 1st round pick. To paraphrase Charlton Heston, another team can pry that pick out of my cold dead hands.

Archived