Darcy Regier On The Hot Seat ?

kishoph

Jason Botterill? He's 37. What credentials does he have as a GM? Fitzgerald? Another first time GMer. I have no problem with making the change here at GM but don't have a rookie coach AND a rookie GM. The fact that this organization is in lockstep with the Penguins...it's like they have no mind of their own. And Pegula's loyalty to Black: "I'll leave the organization before he does." ...where does that come from? I never heard an owner say that about anyone in his organization.

Makes me have real hope for the future of this franchise. :doh:

He also said Lindy was going nowhere. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Then there is this...

"Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet gave Sabres fans and media plenty to talk about last night with his comments that GM Darcy Regier's long tenure may be coming to an end, going so far as saying the Sabres "ultimately will make the change", probably before Christmas.

Today, however, Kypreos appeared to try to douse the flames of speculation on the Hockey Central At Noon radio show.

"I never said anything's iminent," Kypreos said. "I never said that this is happening. That's an insider that basically talks about things that we're hearing and what's out there. I think that people are under the impression that I was reporting that this was gonna happen, and that was not the case."

Credit for this goes to The Sabres Observer from KuklasKorner.com

I've never really said I didn't want him fired, I have said that he gets too much undeserved criticism for seasons past. I feel that if he gets fired that it shouldn't be for what he has done recently. I'm sure a rebuild has been the plan going on two years, I'm sure Regier and Pegula have discussed this. I highly doubt Regier has gone this route without running it by the boss first. However, when you make wholesale changes it would make sense to can the GM at the same time. Not necessarily because of his performance, just for the sake of getting rid of the bad taste.

Between the WGR call-in shows and this forum, they've both become almost unbearable with the relentless, often times unsubstantiated rants. That right there is almost reason enough to fire Darcy. Being that I live in FL, I turn to WGR and this forum for news and input that I can't get if I were in BFLO. It would bring back some civility and rid it of the monotony that has taken over Sabrespace and WGR.

Speaking of cleaning house, Darcy, if you get fired take Paul Hamilton with you. WGR needs a fresh voice in the locker room.

Then there is this...

"Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet gave Sabres fans and media plenty to talk about last night with his comments that GM Darcy Regier's long tenure may be coming to an end, going so far as saying the Sabres "ultimately will make the change", probably before Christmas.

Today, however, Kypreos appeared to try to douse the flames of speculation on the Hockey Central At Noon radio show.

"I never said anything's iminent," Kypreos said. "I never said that this is happening. That's an insider that basically talks about things that we're hearing and what's out there. I think that people are under the impression that I was reporting that this was gonna happen, and that was not the case."

Credit for this goes to The Sabres Observer from KuklasKorner.com

Bummer. Major backpedal by the only credible source on this.

I stand corrected, for some reason I thought he was GM there for a while, whenever I think of the Thrasher and their GM, I think of him. According to Wiki, he really doesn't have much GM experience at all, its more coaching.

His Wiki is awful. Doesn't really mention his time in TB in early 2000s. That being said he seems to be well sought after as a #2 man.

Read closer. I know a least JJ, Physics, and PTR support him. Sportsbuff did too, until the season started anyway :lol:

Mine is not so much support for Darcy as distaste for the hysterical blather surrounding him. The recently great Sabres teams didn't fall out of the sky. Darcy put them together. To act like the Sabres have been an abject failure during his entire tenure is absurd and dishonest. Should he go? Probably, if only to appease the fans. But don't act like he never did anything good for this team.

PTR

[/size]

Mine is not so much support for Darcy as distaste for the hysterical blather surrounding him. The recently great Sabres teams didn't fall out of the sky. Darcy put them together. To act like the Sabres have been an abject failure during his entire tenure is absurd and dishonest. Should he go? Probably, if only to appease the fans. But don't act like he never did anything good for this team.

PTR

This is right on.

[/size]

PTR

Yep.

Kypreos down to almost zero credibility now. He said, quote, "they ultimately will make the change." End quote. He's careless in his phrasing, so how careful is he in his reporting? He also said the president of the Sabres is Ken Sawyer.

I feel like this has happened with Kypreos before. I'm drawing a blank here, but I seem to remember some other Sabre related information he dropped a year or two ago and then quickly pulling it back a day or two later. His story eventually never wound up happening. I'm banging my head against the wall right now because I can't remember what it was, it is driving me crazy.

But then again,"they ultimately will make a change", that's not exactly going out on a limb there. Contrary to what some believe, Darcy will not be here forever. Whether it is tomorrow, two years from now, or another 15, they will part ways.

I feel like this has happened with Kypreos before. I'm drawing a blank here, but I seem to remember some other Sabre related information he dropped a year or two ago and then quickly pulling it back a day or two later. His story eventually never wound up happening. I'm banging my head against the wall right now because I can't remember what it was, it is driving me crazy.

But then again,"they ultimately will make a change", that's not exactly going out on a limb there. Contrary to what some believe, Darcy will not be here forever. Whether it is tomorrow, two years from now, or another 15, they will part ways.

Unless Darcy is already undead.

They said on WGR this morning that Kypreos reported that Miller was going to be traded at the deadline.

[/size]

PTR

One of those great teams did fall into his lap. Pretty nice situation to inherit in 1997. Ye, he cleverly added to it. Still.

Unless Darcy is already undead.

They said on WGR this morning that Kypreos reported that Miller was going to be traded at the deadline.

They're wrong, Kypreos never reported that. He reported Miller's days in Buffalo were numbered, which is much different than saying he will be traded at the deadline.

Yes. My opinion on DR started to turn in March 2011.

As for Dudley and Botterill, I just really don't want anyone with any prior ties. The more I think about Dudley, the more I think, "no."

I know it's not the most credible team to look for as a blueprint, but i would like the Sabres to follow what the Bills did with their front office to an extend. Name Rick Dudley as a GM whenever they do fire Darcy Regier, because he's a veteran pro and has been around the league for a long time, he can deal with the lowly Sabres well and not get too phased out. But, at the same time, since Dudley is like 65, bring in a younger guy, someone such as Jason Botterill as a GM to be, similar to the Nix/Whaley duo with the Bills.

Botterill is very well respected around the league, understands the business aspect of hockey very well according to many reports i have read and is a brilliantly smart guy, but, with his lack of experience, i am not sure someone like him would be the best fit for such a trainwreck as the Sabres.

When I heard the rumor last night during the post game show it was like YES!!! Finally someone woke up and truly cares about the Sabres having a team that plays hockey to win finally. But, this morning's zero chance statement from the team brought me back down to earth. I realize that the team might be lying ... or perhaps Darcy has agreed to resign knowing that his product on the ice is never going to be a winner and if that is true then there is zero chance Regier gets fired. The reality is ... Darcy has had more than enough time to establish a winning tradition in Buffalo and failed miserably. Ruff never had the players to create a winning team and all any of us have to do is look over the type of player who Darcy has repeatedly brought to town and we will discover that they are players with skills who are not aggressive, afraid to fight in the corners, and who would rather watch plays develop instead of being in the middle of them. Every GM makes mistakes but this guy's approach to hockey is to consistently put together teams that give up the puck in their own end so that it always looks like the other team has the power play, to create teams whose concept of a power play is to give the opposition as many chances for short hand goals as possible, and to never ever shoot on net unless you can't help yourself. His style of defensive players do a great job of screening our own goalie but only go half way down to block shots (I think it was on his watch that McKee was allowed to walk). Dudley would bring in a cocky win at all cost attitude that might include a coach how is not purely cerebral like Rolston. The win last night on the Island just might preserve Darcy's job. I am a fan .... I want my teams to always win but if it can be the cause of Darcy getting fired then let them keep on losing!

They're wrong, Kypreos never reported that. He reported Miller's days in Buffalo were numbered, which is much different than saying he will be traded at the deadline.

You have to wonder how many times a guy's wording can be used against him before he starts to smarten up a bit. Now maybe people are misreading what he says. But then again, I could just as easily see him being intentionally vague so that he can someday be proven right. Saying Miller's days are numbered and that Darcy/Buffalo will eventually part ways, he isn't exactly going out on a limb with those statements. If he is completely innocent in this one, you'd think he would eventually catch on and tweak his wording a bit.

[/size]

PTR

+1, Good GM, but time is up (unless they go like 8-1-1 over next 10 or something :unsure: ).

I'd guess that's where TP is. It's an embarrassing start to the season. There's still time to turn it around, but if not in the next couple of weeks then he's got to go.

[/size]

PTR

The Sabres have had 2 stints of success in Darcy's 17 years.

1) Inheriting a team that had just won a division and advanced in the playoffs with a backup goaltender and then was allowed to acquire 2 high priced skill players and had the return playoff services of the best goaltender in possibly history. I like to look at it as Darcy/Lindy took the same SAT test as Muckler/Nolan, but were allowed to use a calculator and given an extra 30 minutes.

2) The entire NHL rulebook changed overnight. Wouldn't it be nice if you woke up one day to find that suddenly, the 5' 5" 160lb girl was in demand, and the 5'9" 120lb blonde model was an also-ran?

The first lasted 4 years and the second lasted 2 years. A total of 10 playoff series were won, again, on the heels of the 2 drivers described

The Buffalo Sabres have failed to win a playoff series in any season out of those 2 stints, and failed to make it 7 times

If you want to claim handcuffs at any point, then you can't dismiss the facts when he had any semblance of success.

All I know is we are on year 4 of him as the GM of the "deepest pocketed owner in the NHL", on a team proclaimed as "Hockey Heaven", money has been thrown into bonuses, facilities, scouting, burying player contracts, and every other competitive advantage you can think of.....and the Sabres are not so arguably the crappiest team in the league.

Pegula wanted to judge him only under Pegula. Well....he's had 3 drafts and is heading into his 4th trade deadline. How much are fans supposed to endure?

Archived