Darcy Regier On The Hot Seat ?

kishoph

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but remember when Patrick Roy's name was being thrown around as head coach? Roy is 6-0. RR is 1-6-1. Just saying.

The Avs have also been rebuilding since before the 2004 lockout and their GM has some good young talent in there. I like Roy as much as anyone but let's not forget where the Avs are compared to the Sabres.

Are you going to tell me now that Darcy stinks at trade deadline too? :doh:

PTR

So it's an accepted, inarguable fact that DR is a trade deadline master? Why, exactly, is that? What trades has he made at the deadline that have contributed to this franchise icing a winning team? Brad Boyes? Raffi Torres?

Oh, that's right. He got a first-rounder for Gaustad and a good yield for Pommer. And the players that DR turned those picks into have done...what, exactly?

And what did DR get last year at the deadline for Stafford? Leino? Vanek? Miller? Myers? Surely the deadline master recognized that the deadline bidding frenzy was the right time to unload assets in furtherance of the great rebuild, right?

So it's an accepted, inarguable fact that DR is a trade deadline master? Why, exactly, is that? What trades has he made at the deadline that have contributed to this franchise icing a winning team? Brad Boyes? Raffi Torres?

Oh, that's right. He got a first-rounder for Gaustad and a good yield for Pommer. And the players that DR turned those picks into have done...what, exactly?

I want DR gone as much as the next guy, but I do seem to recall tilted trades that involved Grosek (what a haul) and Gratton (Briere). I think both of those were deadline deals.

Are we gonna get a merge of this thread with the Job Performance thread?

And what did DR get last year at the deadline for Stafford? Leino? Vanek? Miller? Myers? Surely the deadline master recognized that the deadline bidding frenzy was the right time to unload assets in furtherance of the great rebuild, right?

Even then, those were market value deals.

I do think it's interesting to go back and listen to the interviews that DR gave at the end of last season/early offseason.

He talked about how you need to have a "blend" when you move in another direction -- that you can't go all youth -- you need to supplement a young roster with veteran leadership.

They're pretty thin on the veteran leaders "blend" this year -- Tallinder, Ott, Vanek, Miller, Ehrhoff (I'm intentionally excluding the 4th line plugs and the Ville Leino). So, if they can't persuade any of Ott, Vanek, or Miller (or Tallinder for that matter) to return next year, what are they looking at in terms of their "blend?" Dark times, man. Dark times.

I want DR gone as much as the next guy, but I do seem to recall tilted trades that involved Grosek (what a haul) and Gratton (Briere). I think both of those were deadline deals.

Fair enough on the trades from 10 years ago, but still.

I agree on the merge.

The Avs have also been rebuilding since before the 2004 lockout and their GM has some good young talent in there. I like Roy as much as anyone but let's not forget where the Avs are compared to the Sabres.

They had the first overall pick last year. We had the eighth. I think that says something about where we're at. Roy is coaching his ass off. Really doing things with Varlamov.

They had the first overall pick last year. We had the eight. I think that says something about where we're at. Roy is coaching his ass off. Really doing things with Varlamov.

Varlamov was already a good goaltender. Colorado as a team has some great pieces. Roy could easily be accused of being in the right place at the right time.

Varlamov was already a good goaltender. Colorado as a team has some great pieces. Roy could easily be accused of being in the right place at the right time.

Yup. Even before MacKinnon, they had Duchene (#3 overall), Landeskog (#2 overall), O'Reilly, Parenteau, and Johnson (#1 overall...for fairness, I had to mention the disappointment of the top picks :lol: ).

Varlamov has been absolutely terrible for a few years now. It was hard watching him play. The coaching is big part of this.

:unsure:

Thanks for bringing anything to the conversation. Considering just about every reporter was questioning whether Patrick Roy would bring in a new goalie after he was hired because Varlamov had shown nothing in Colorado. Go ahead, justify his 3+ GAA last year.

Thanks for bringing your wonderful attitude as usual. Roy making personnel decisions is beyond that of coaching, which is what you said was Valarmov's issue.

I'm just talking about the greatest goaltender ever, ya know, helping out a guy who had been struggling mightily. Coaching.

But anyways, this is irrelevant. I was just supporting the poster who thought Roy has been coaching well. There's no denying that. Roy didn't just get "lucky." He's been a big part of this.

I think 75% of the coaches in the NHL, given Roy's roster, would be just as successful. Is Rolston one of them? Doubt it.

I get that young players improve, but they were the second worst team in the league last year and added Tanguay and MacKinnon (an 18-year-old). I doubt "75%" of coaches would be producing similar results. Do I think the Avs will be this good all year? Not sure. Time will tell. But so far Roy looks like a major success there.

Does anybody think that Darcy would ever get another job in the NHL outside of Buffalo? I used to think yes, but I wonder. If the stuff about other GMs not wanting to deal with him is true then I'd assume no, but he has been respected in the past.

[/size]

Mine is not so much support for Darcy as distaste for the hysterical blather surrounding him. The recently great Sabres teams didn't fall out of the sky. Darcy put them together. To act like the Sabres have been an abject failure during his entire tenure is absurd and dishonest. Should he go? Probably, if only to appease the fans. But don't act like he never did anything good for this team.

PTR

"great?" Seriously? I guess we are lowering the standards of what constitutes great.

The cumulative result of all of Regier's trades (good or bad), draft choices (good or bad) and free agent signings (good or bad) is a team that has missed the playoffs 7 out of 11 years. Pegula came in with all of his money and things were supposed to get better and didn't. Yet, things continue to deteriorate. It's on Regier.

It's the GM's that can string together the right trades, free agents and draft choices that win Stanley Cups. Regier hunt and pecks. He may win a trade here or there. He may hit on a draft pick now and then. He may even pick up a decent UFA once in awhile. That's not good enough and will never be good enough to bring this franchise a Stanley Cup.

The Sabres have had 2 stints of success in Darcy's 17 years.

1) Inheriting a team that had just won a division and advanced in the playoffs with a backup goaltender and then was allowed to acquire 2 high priced skill players and had the return playoff services of the best goaltender in possibly history. I like to look at it as Darcy/Lindy took the same SAT test as Muckler/Nolan, but were allowed to use a calculator and given an extra 30 minutes.

2) The entire NHL rulebook changed overnight. Wouldn't it be nice if you woke up one day to find that suddenly, the 5' 5" 160lb girl was in demand, and the 5'9" 120lb blonde model was an also-ran?

The first lasted 4 years and the second lasted 2 years. A total of 10 playoff series were won, again, on the heels of the 2 drivers described

The Buffalo Sabres have failed to win a playoff series in any season out of those 2 stints, and failed to make it 7 times

If you want to claim handcuffs at any point, then you can't dismiss the facts when he had any semblance of success.

All I know is we are on year 4 of him as the GM of the "deepest pocketed owner in the NHL", on a team proclaimed as "Hockey Heaven", money has been thrown into bonuses, facilities, scouting, burying player contracts, and every other competitive advantage you can think of.....and the Sabres are not so arguably the crappiest team in the league.

Pegula wanted to judge him only under Pegula. Well....he's had 3 drafts and is heading into his 4th trade deadline. How much are fans supposed to endure?

Thats what I'm talkin bout. Nice post.

Darcy's trade history alone is enough to make another team take a chance on him. If anyone wants a laugh, I was just looking at Mike Milbury's greatest hits as GM of the Isles. Things could be so much worse.

People can debate all day long whether or not Darcy can build a team. His trade record is remarkable. That alone is a reason why I want him staying on at least through this trade deadline with Vanek and Miller likely to be dealt.

I personally think he's going to stay on because an organizational plan has been set in place to acquire top picks. Extending the season ticket cap and rolling out what I believe is the youngest roster in the league seems to me to be the moves of a GM who isn't afraid of being fired. If his charge was to win this year, I don't think we'd be seeing Grigs or Risto. And we probably would have seen more stopgap veteran signings.

Even though i want Darcy gone 5 years ago, my 2nd all time favorite Darcy deal (after the Brere trade) was trading that putz Barnaby for Stu Barnes. that was a deadline deal

"great?" Seriously? I guess we are lowering the standards of what constitutes great.

The cumulative result of all of Regier's trades (good or bad), draft choices (good or bad) and free agent signings (good or bad) is a team that has missed the playoffs 7 out of 11 years. Pegula came in with all of his money and things were supposed to get better and didn't. Yet, things continue to deteriorate. It's on Regier.

It's the GM's that can string together the right trades, free agents and draft choices that win Stanley Cups. Regier hunt and pecks. He may win a trade here or there. He may hit on a draft pick now and then. He may even pick up a decent UFA once in awhile. That's not good enough and will never be good enough to bring this franchise a Stanley Cup.

And this.

Joking with a fellow poster, said maybe the Sabres statement of "no truth to this report" means that they never planned on waiting until Christmas and instead planned on firing him earlier. Unfortunately I know that's not that case.

I'm just talking about the greatest goaltender ever, ya know, helping out a guy who had been struggling mightily. Coaching.

But anyways, this is irrelevant. I was just supporting the poster who thought Roy has been coaching well. There's no denying that. Roy didn't just get "lucky." He's been a big part of this.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/04/report-allaire-hired-as-avs-goalie-coach/

No, Roy is not the savior.. he just went out and hired the guy who had something to do with making him a great goalie.

Here's how I see it. Ownership believes that Regier had a plan allowed him to run with it. The watch was always on and the moves seemed to make sense. So last year the trade deadline comes along and Vanek and Miller are still on the team. Ownership takes a pause and looks around wondering what was left on the table. Still, Miller and Vanek are saying the right things so perhaps it's not so bad. Regier has done an admirable job in the draft (when many people are involved and lots of analysis takes place) and so they let him go through the draft. We have our doubts on what was possible but I'm not sure anyone here is blasting Ristolainen and Zadarov as wasted picks.

Rolston is retained.. no problem there either. He's a teacher, good with young players.

The season starts and the Sabres look a mess. They have players who are supposed to be leaders looking disinterested in playing. Basically, things are bad, but worse than they should be. So, now you ask yourself, do you keep Regier in the position or do you move him elsewhere to focus where is good and bring in a new GM who might be willing to make the moves with Vanek and Miller that are necessary to put this team in the right spot.

THEN the Vanek a certainty to MInnesota information comes out and it looks like your value for a top scorer in the NHL is dropping faster than anticipated. So now you think you might need to move him early in the season so a team is getting almost a full year value. Regier might not be on board to do it now.

So, move Regier sooner than later. Bring in the new blood that you wanted to bring in so he can make the changes because he's completely devoid of any relationship with the players in question.

Float the idea, see how it's received... deny it.. because you have to. But really, he's not going to be fired just have a role change and a new GM will be brought in. So, it's not fully denied.

That's where I am at trying to explain Kypreos. Truthfully it was a very targeted and bold statement.

Either that or someone lied to him. I like my version better.

I have been calling for DR to get canned for a couple of years now, but the 2005-06 team was an undeniably great team. And it wasn't because of the rules changes. It was deep, it was loaded down the middle, it was fast, it was tough, it had great leaders and it had great goaltending.

Archived