Darcy Regier On The Hot Seat ?

kishoph

According to Nick Kypreos, Darcy may be on his way out, supposedly the Sabres were going to wait till Christmas (why), but the decision may come sooner.

http://buffalorising...n-the-hot-seat/

FYI: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22085-job-performance-poll-general-manager-darcy-regier/#entry514581

Who knows. I think any hockey analyst could say the same thing and it would have merit. Common sense says that he would have to be. Then again, common sense has not been a factor for 17 years.

Like we have all been saying the only way it happenstance is if we are so bad TP has no choice. A 3 or 4 game win streak is the last thing we need right now. The way things work around here last nights win might have saved DR a month. Tired of wanting this team to loose but again found myself hoping we lost in OT.

Jason Botterill? He's 37. What credentials does he have as a GM? Fitzgerald? Another first time GMer. I have no problem with making the change here at GM but don't have a rookie coach AND a rookie GM. The fact that this organization is in lockstep with the Penguins...it's like they have no mind of their own. And Pegula's loyalty to Black: "I'll leave the organization before he does." ...where does that come from? I never heard an owner say that about anyone in his organization.

Makes me have real hope for the future of this franchise. :doh:

Jason Botterill? He's 37. What credentials does he have as a GM? Fitzgerald? Another first time GMer. I have no problem with making the change here at GM but don't have a rookie coach AND a rookie GM. The fact that this organization is in lockstep with the Penguins...it's like they have no mind of their own. And Pegula's loyalty to Black: "I'll leave the organization before he does." ...where does that come from? I never heard an owner say that about anyone in his organization.

Terry's a low-information voter.

I think the subject line should reflect that a real sports news organization is reporting this. Let's give people hope. Otherwise, it looks like a subject line from 2002, 2004, 2008, 2011, 2012…

Dudley/Botterill or Dudley/Fitzpatrick would not happen. Botterill/Fitzpatrick are a team that will not split up. So it's either Dudley or Botterill/Fitzpatrick.

I don't see that change happening but IF it would happen. I would have no issues with a "rookie" GM whatsoever. I think if you need to choose as a rookie GM if you wanna take over a team in rebuilding process or a team that is already a good one, I would pick the rebuilding team 9 out of 10 times.

FWIW the Sabres gave a statement to WGR this morning that there is zero perecent truth to the rumor. Time will tell I guess

You know just once I would love them to make a statement that showed a little freaking life. How about "there is no truth to the rumor, however, as an organization we understand that our current product is unacceptable and all positions are under constant evaluation". Make some of these guys somewhat accountable. So sick and tired of this constant flatline crap.

Botterill and Ftizgerald are assistant GM's in Pittsburgh so it isn't like these guys don't have NHL GM experience. Also DR has been a GM for 16 years in Buffalo and where has all his experience gotten us?

PS Ted Black handles the business of the Sabres, making money and those types of things. He isn't involved in the hockey decisions (players, contracts). Terry saying that quote is easy to read. Ted Black is running the Sabres Business just fine so why would he fire him? DR is running the players side like crap so he might get fired but the two are mutually exclusive

And Pegula's loyalty to Black: "I'll leave the organization before he does." ...where does that come from? I never heard an owner say that about anyone in his organization.

I missed this. Did Pegula say that in response to Bucky's parting shots about how Black's superiors were not pleased with his talk of "turd burgers" and such?

hmmm

Rookie owner, rookie GM, rookie coach and a team full of rookies... What could possibly go wrong?

I missed this. Did Pegula say that in response to Bucky's parting shots about how Black's superiors were not pleased with his talk of "turd burgers" and such?

I read that as classic Bucky sour grapes -- i.e. TB told Mike Harrington to GTF over it in response to Harrington's temper tantrum at the season-ending presser, so Bucky responded by manufacturing a rumor about TB's bosses not being happy with him.

Bucky's never had a source inside the organization, but now suddenly he's got one regarding TB's job security? Smells like BS to me.

As for the OP: halle-freaking'-lujah. Kypreos is a fairly credible source, so perhaps hopenchange are in the air.

FWIW the Sabres gave a statement to WGR this morning that there is zero perecent truth to the rumor. Time will tell I guess

As for the OP: halle-freaking'-lujah. Kypreos is a fairly credible source, so perhaps hopenchange are in the air.

http://www.wgr550.com/Update-on-Regier----Zero-Truth--/17538137

As already mentioned WGR550 reached out to the Sabres to ask about it. Now of course the Sabres said there is 0 truth to that rumor but honestly who knows. Could be smoke without fire like a lot of NHL rumors. We will have to wait and see. I think it depends on the plan that DR sold to Pegula. If that plan is failing TP could pull the trigger and fire him. I want to believe this rumor but I just can't.

The only way the fans can make a statement is to stop watching the games; ratings are everything.

I don't know how much of this is true; however, I believe someone said that there were chants at the game of fire Darcy.

I don't know how firing Darcy would make the team play better but, it sounds like people have decided that if we are going to be forced into rebuild mode, then the guy responsible for making the decisions that brought us to this point should be gone too.

I did hear this, but they said the same thing about Lindy Ruff being replaced. One interesting thing that was mentioned is that both of the possible replacements listed by Kypreos have ties to Ken Sawyer (who Kypreos called the President of the Sabres), but it has been said that Sawyer is a supporter of Regier. How much Sawyer has in this kind of decision, I don't know, but it could tie in to a move being made or not being made.

Could Regier being replaced have an influence on Miller and Vanek wanting to remain with the Sabres ?

I did hear this, but they said the same thing about Lindy Ruff being replaced. One interesting thing that was mentioned is that both of the possible replacements listed by Kypreos have ties to Ken Sawyer (who Kypreos called the President of the Sabres), but it has been said that Sawyer is a supporter of Regier. How much Sawyer has in this kind of decision, I don't know, but it could tie in to a move being made or not being made.

Could Regier being replaced have an influence on Miller and Vanek wanting to remain with the Sabres ?

No. They will be either grossly overpaid or gone. At these points in their careers, they want to win.

Eventually everything runs its course, but until the guy that's been Sabres GM for over 1/3 of my life and the entirety of my kids' lives is actually gone, I won't expect it.

As for missing out on Burke, no biggie. If we're lamenting 'fish that got away' I'd rather lament missing out on Dean Lombardi.

The sabres must bring in Rick Dudley if they fire Darcy. He has experience and has had success in accumulating talent in Atlanta without ownership support. The pittsburg front office had the huge fortune of Crosby and Malkin and having Mario Lemeux in the front office as well. With those guys building a winner is easier. I think it would be a huge error to bring in an inexperienced GM. Shero was making the decisions in pittsburg.

Too bad Brian Burke is in the process of turning another perennial loser into a playoff team. I would love a GM with stones like that around here...

Burke would give this organization a major turn around. He's exactly what this team needs. I know people have questioned some of his trades and signing but at least he has the balls to make moves for players he wants even if he has to overpay. Nonis is reaping the benefits of his work.

The sabres must bring in Rick Dudley if they fire Darcy. He has experience and has had success in accumulating talent in Atlanta without ownership support. The pittsburg front office had the huge fortune of Crosby and Malkin and having Mario Lemeux in the front office as well. With those guys building a winner is easier. I think it would be a huge error to bring in an inexperienced GM. Shero was making the decisions in pittsburg.

Part of me wants someone with no ties whatsoever to the organization, but if it's going to be someone with ties, I guess Duds is about right.

Archived