Who else deserves a statue outside FNC?

Hoss

For some reason when the French Connection statue came out, I heard that there would be more statues coming but can't remember from where.

Does anybody know if there will be?

If there is (or even if there isn't), who else would you want to see have a statue?

I did a post a long time ago talking about this on a blog, and I speculated that Jeanneret, LaFontaine, Hasek, Andreychuk, Gare and the Knox Brothers were all potentially deserving.

For some reason when the French Connection statue came out, I heard that there would be more statues coming but can't remember from where.

If there is (or even if there isn't), who else would you want to see have a statue?

I did a post a long time ago talking about this on a blog, and I speculated that Jeanneret, LaFontaine, Hasek, Andreychuk, Gare and the Knox Brothers were all potentially deserving.

Absolutely no one. A team with zero championships to their credit putting up a replica of Vatican City in front of their building is a sham.

Personally I think statues should be limited to players, and all-time NHL greats at that, who spent a significant amount of their career in a city. So basically, I think Hasek should get one, and that's about it.

Personally I think statues should be limited to players, and all-time NHL greats at that, who spent a significant amount of their career in a city. So basically, I think Hasek should get one, and that's about it.

And I don't see any need to rush into building him 1. Getting his # retired should happen soon. A statue, if it happens, should be at LEAST 5 years off.

Agree with above. Hasek should be raftered soon, statue in a little while.

I also think it'd be fun and important to have a Rick Jeanneret statue. Sometime after he retires. Not necessarily front-and-center, but out front somwhere. Maybe him at a chair and desk, wearing ruler suspenders, yelling into a microphone or headset. Have a speaker blasting his highlight calls around game time for the crowd and/or a button you can walk up to and press to hear a different call any time. It'd be nice to give him a timeless tribute like a statue while capturing some of his audio magic. That way, when he's no longer on air, there will always be one place he can be heard by the old folks and learned about by the young ones. He means so much to this franchise and its history.

I also think it'd be fun and important to have a Rick Jeanneret statue. Sometime after he retires. Not necessarily front-and-center, but out front somwhere. Maybe him at a chair and desk, wearing ruler suspenders, yelling into a microphone or headset. Have a speaker blasting his highlight calls around game time for the crowd and/or a button you can walk up to and press to hear a different call any time. It'd be nice to give him a timeless tribute like a statue while capturing some of his audio magic. That way, when he's no longer on air, there will always be one place he can be heard by the old folks and learned about by the young ones. He means so much to this franchise and its history.

That's a nice idea.

One might argue the marque on the front of the F'N Center already pays homage to Hasek. Is that still inside or is it gone?

That's a nice idea.

One might argue the marque on the front of the F'N Center already pays homage to Hasek. Is that still inside or is it gone?

I doubt the relief carving (really talking out my hat with that term) honors Dom specifically. It might be cool to redo it and make it truly Hasek-esque. There's another archway that could also be redone to honor someone.

In general, though, as much as I like honoring the Sabres' past, I think the organization itself should be living in 2013 and putting the past aside for now. The statue, the plaza, alumni night, 19,070 seating capacity… enough already.

Agree with above. Hasek should be raftered soon, statue in a little while.

Love it.

No more statues. The existing one is a nice tribute to the beginnings of NHL hockey in Buffalo. There's no need to clutter it up with more.

Agreed. Statues are reserved for the most elite of the elite and even tho I love Hasek and Tim Connolly to death, I don't think they're quite on par with Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky, at least not yet. To be fair, neither are the French Connection, but I agree with Eleven's assessment about the existing statue -- it's a nice tribute. To put up statues of any other Sabres players who didn't win cups here would be wrong, and probably a little embarrassing (because you know people on twitter would be all over that.)

If Buffalo wins a Stanley Cup and there's a way to commemorate in a statue, I might be okay with that since it would be their first ever... but unless an individual leads the Sabres to multiple championships, I just can't really see how they could justify building more statues.

Agreed. Statues are reserved for the most elite of the elite and even tho I love Hasek and Tim Connolly to death, I don't think they're quite on par with Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky. To be fair, neither are the French Connection, but I agree with Eleven's assessment about the existing statue -- it's a nice tribute. To put up statues of any other Sabres players who didn't win cups here would be wrong, and probably a little embarrassing (because you know people on twitter would be all over that.)

If Buffalo wins a Stanley Cup and there's a way to commemorate in a statue, I might be okay with that since it would be their first ever... but unless an individual leads the Sabres to multiple championships, I just can't really see how they could justify building more statues.

...did you just put Hasek and Connolly in the same sentence? :angry:

For what it's worth, I think Hasek is the best goaltender of all time and did it in a totally unique fashion. He deserves to be in the pantheon of NHL greats.

I don't actually think that all of these guys deserve it. Just ideas.

I do think Hasek and Jeanneret deserve one eventually. The Knox Brothers maybe.

Whoever suggested Golisano: really? No.

And TP? Why? What has he done?

...did you just put Hasek and Connolly in the same sentence? :angry:

For what it's worth, I think Hasek is the best goaltender of all time and did it in a totally unique fashion. He deserves to be in the pantheon of NHL greats.

That was a joke for the old-timers here. Used to have a huge man-crush on TC :lol: (still do :bag: ). he was fun to watch before ECSF Game 2 2006.

I do agree with Hasek. He was my first "favorite" player. He would definitely be the ONE Sabre to consider getting a statue, but not yet -- think it would be cooler down the road.

Agreed. Statues are reserved for the most elite of the elite and even tho I love Hasek and Tim Connolly to death, I don't think they're quite on par with Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky, at least not yet. To be fair, neither are the French Connection, but I agree with Eleven's assessment about the existing statue -- it's a nice tribute. To put up statues of any other Sabres players who didn't win cups here would be wrong, and probably a little embarrassing (because you know people on twitter would be all over that.)

Eh, as Emily Lutella used to say: nevermind.

Though we really do need a 'wtf wave' smiley. ;)

I don't actually think that all of these guys deserve it. Just ideas.

I do think Hasek and Jeanneret deserve one eventually. The Knox Brothers maybe.

Whoever suggested Golisano: really? No.

And TP? Why? What has he done?

Golisano was a joke, it was the closest comparrison I could find for the Sabres and the jays who just unveiled a statue (with much criticism) of Ted Rogers outside their stadium. He was owner from 2000-2008, all pretty bad years, but he, his family and his company have the money to do what they want to honor him. They don't even have statues of players outside the place!

I also think it'd be fun and important to have a Rick Jeanneret statue. Sometime after he retires. Not necessarily front-and-center, but out front somwhere. Maybe him at a chair and desk, wearing ruler suspenders, yelling into a microphone or headset. Have a speaker blasting his highlight calls around game time for the crowd and/or a button you can walk up to and press to hear a different call any time.

Seriously, though -- this is a BANNER idea. It doesn't need to be a bronzed statute out on the plaza necessarily -- they could find a place for it within the center-arena. Shoot -- they should get on this NOW vis-a-vis the late great Ted Darling. Again, great idea. You really should inbox Black with that sort of thing (unless he reads about if here first -- HI, TED!).

Archived