The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I did a slow enjoyable 30 miles on my 1966 English 3-speed (that weighs 50 lb.)  Sometimes the stiff breeze helped, sometimes not.  It was about 70 degrees.... perfect.

Flooding over the low water crossing

10269057_910183095697248_149735593506727

Soon, "Edwards Ranch" will be nothing more than the name of a development.  But not yet.

12377649_910183089030582_810353374970041

And lunch on the way back home....this new place is only 2 blocks from my house.

10687331_910183079030583_442511887766321

That probably cancels out 30 miles of riding, huh?  :unsure:

And there's no way those two tiny packets of ketchup are going to be enough for that pile of fries.

You were correct.  He's just starting out, I'm willing to cut him a break.  He nailed the essentials.

As for the pita-to-meat ratio, what you see there is the tip of the iceberg.  There was plenty of meat; any more would have been too much. 

Funny how this is a fitness thread and everyone zeroes in on the food.

Looks like a lot. It can be a bit much, to my taste anyway.

It was $5.

This type of constructive criticism should be saved when at a fancy-smancy place. When, let's say, the price exceeds $7.

BTW TBJ, that looked good. 

Beef or Lamb?

Because if it's lamb and a $5 plate, that's beyond bargain.

Looks like a lot. It can be a bit much, to my taste anyway.

It was just right.  Any more would have been too much.  I think it was lamb, but not sure.  I'll ask next time.

Another 27 miles on the old 3-speed today.  I've passed by this wall thousands of times and the vines have always been just green.  Today, on Christmas Eve, is the first time I've seen them bearing fruit.

12376098_910780128970878_769964297343517

And if you're curious what I look like riding that beauty, imagine something like this:

Edited by The Big Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

I have 5 bikes.  The one above is a mostly original 1966 English 3-speed.

My two newest bikes are a 2009 Schwinn fixed gear bike (single speed, you can't coast; if the rear wheel is spinning, so are the pedals) and a 1994 Nishiki hybrid that I've done some mods on.  My bikes are mostly cheapish and I do mods (usually on the cheap) to make them what I want.  The '94 Nishiki is my most modern bike, probably comparable to a Surly Long Haul Trucker touring bike (which is a current model). 

If you're looking to get into cycling I'd think you can get a decent new bike for about $600-1000.  Basically most bicycle shops carry different brands and you can look ant the range, usually one of Trek or Specialized, and you can find something that fits your needs.  It kind of depends on what you want to use the bike for- road cycling where you get all dressed up in fancy clown outfits and ride 100 miles for fun, or just getting a fixie to ride from one pub to the next.

If you want a ton of good advice from people smarter than me, join BikeForums.net and ask around there.  They can direct you to the right forum (road cycling, touring, fixed gear, hybrids, etc.) and then the people there can help you get to know what's out there.

The MOST important thing is to get a bicycle frame size that fits you.  The rest of it you can adjust but if the frame is too big or too small you're outta luck.

Okay, so... here are my bikes:

1966 Raleigh DL-1 3-speed ($30 at a garage sale)

1000521_531142280268000_364520120_n.jpg?

1983 Raleigh Marathon (free out of a dumpster).  It's a two-speed runabout now but it started out at as a 12-speed tourer before it sustained some damage

486558_486285451420350_2092551169_n.jpg?

1983 Raleigh Super Course ($50 at a pawn shop).  Probably my fastest bike.  I've made some modest mods to tailor it to my tastes

10906288_753751834673709_523149274465282

1994 Nishiki Sport XRS (garage sale $100)... this is the bike I use for commuting when I ride to work.  This bike is heavily modded from its original form.

65872_463128580402704_1417367831_n.jpg?o

And my newest bike, my 2009 Schwinn Cutter fixed gear bike.  My wife got it new at a bike shop for about $300 (my Christmas present in 2009).

12227168_896427567072801_694859696446417

My bikes are more like a baseball card collection than a systematic approach to cycling, so I might not be the best person to ask for advice.  :wacko:

Edited by The Big Johnson

All of you New Year resolution people, please take note:  Your resolution doesn't mean a thing if you quit it in the first three weeks, other than pissing off other people at the gym.  So either be serious (I'M HOPEFUL) or GTFO (not what I'm rooting for).

All of you New Year resolution people, please take note: Your resolution doesn't mean a thing if you quit it in the first three weeks, other than pissing off other people at the gym. So either be serious (I'M HOPEFUL) or GTFO (not what I'm rooting for).

I have no significant plans for the gym as Cody keeps me exhausted but I do plan on removing soda, beer and cookies from my diet.

In the making lemons out of lemonade department, I'm dealing with an injury I gave myself at the gym (I think; I'm old and could easily have hurt myself in many other ways) last week.  Hopefully by the time I'm back, all resolutions will have been broken and things will be peaceful at the ol' athletic club. 

In the meantime, ouch. 

All of you New Year resolution people, please take note:  Your resolution doesn't mean a thing if you quit it in the first three weeks, other than pissing off other people at the gym.  So either be serious (I'M HOPEFUL) or GTFO (not what I'm rooting for).

I think I speak for all gym regulars in saying that we dread the "New Years Resolutionists" who clog up the gym for the first couple of weeks of January every year then disappear.

I have 5 bikes.  The one above is a mostly original 1966 English 3-speed.

My two newest bikes are a 2009 Schwinn fixed gear bike (single speed, you can't coast; if the rear wheel is spinning, so are the pedals) and a 1994 Nishiki hybrid that I've done some mods on.  My bikes are mostly cheapish and I do mods (usually on the cheap) to make them what I want.  The '94 Nishiki is my most modern bike, probably comparable to a Surly Long Haul Trucker touring bike (which is a current model). 

If you're looking to get into cycling I'd think you can get a decent new bike for about $600-1000.  Basically most bicycle shops carry different brands and you can look ant the range, usually one of Trek or Specialized, and you can find something that fits your needs.  It kind of depends on what you want to use the bike for- road cycling where you get all dressed up in fancy clown outfits and ride 100 miles for fun, or just getting a fixie to ride from one pub to the next.

If you want a ton of good advice from people smarter than me, join BikeForums.net and ask around there.  They can direct you to the right forum (road cycling, touring, fixed gear, hybrids, etc.) and then the people there can help you get to know what's out there.

The MOST important thing is to get a bicycle frame size that fits you.  The rest of it you can adjust but if the frame is too big or too small you're outta luck.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I've got a full suspension 15 year old store bought mountain bike. Even though all it's used for right now is long trips, I like having the ability to take it wherever I can go. I'd like to for something in between a dual sport and a full out trail bike. Judging by price I could be persuaded to stay away from full suspension and go with a hardtail. That way some of that money could go towards a little better quality hardware.

I like the pics of yours. That's cool you're putting on 20+ mile trips on a bike that's 50+ years old.

Can I steal this and turn it into one of those motivational posters they hang on the wall? :D

Hey TBJ! Where would be my best shot at finding a rigid mid 1990s mountain bike, like a trek 820 or something similar. I'm feeling nostalgic and I want my childhood bike back. I would buy a new one except for the fact that they all come with suspension now. I strongly dislike bikes with shocks. They never felt right to me.

I figure eBay is my best chance, just wondering if you knew of any place else I should be looking?

Hey TBJ! Where would be my best shot at finding a rigid mid 1990s mountain bike, like a trek 820 or something similar. I'm feeling nostalgic and I want my childhood bike back. I would buy a new one except for the fact that they all come with suspension now. I strongly dislike bikes with shocks. They never felt right to me.

I figure eBay is my best chance, just wondering if you knew of any place else I should be looking?

Around here it's craig's list.

People do the garage sale/estate sale thing every weekend then post their *finds*.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.