The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Yep, I'm in Austin TX, and for a few months per year it's either run at 6am or don't run at all. Longer-distance races are like November through April here (because of weather), so a lot of runners I know will bike more over the summer.

Also, the cycling outside of Austin (in virtually any direction) is phenomenal. Long farm-to-market roads and whatnot. Longer rides of 40mi to 100mi round-trip are great.

Guest Sloth

Yep, I'm in Austin TX, and for a few months per year it's either run at 6am or don't run at all. Longer-distance races are like November through April here (because of weather), so a lot of runners I know will bike more over the summer.

Also, the cycling outside of Austin (in virtually any direction) is phenomenal. Long farm-to-market roads and whatnot. Longer rides of 40mi to 100mi round-trip are great.

Yeah, I should've said a time when I mentioned running in the evening. You literally need to wait until after 7 or 7:30. I went for a run yesterday shortly after 5 and it was way too hot. What's crazy is you notice it to a certain extent when you're running, but you don't get a real idea of how hot your body is until you stop. It hits you all at once. That's what I experience. May be different for everyone.

Yeah, I should've said a time when I mentioned running in the evening. You literally need to wait until after 7 or 7:30. I went for a run yesterday shortly after 5 and it was way too hot. What's crazy is you notice it to a certain extent when you're running, but you don't get a real idea of how hot your body is until you stop. It hits you all at once. That's what I experience. May be different for everyone.

Yeah. Here it'll hover around 95F until midnight or so before dropping off, so there's not a huge difference between, say, 5pm and 9pm.

I will agree with the bolded comment. Once you stop and stretch, then the sweat starts pouring out like a waterfall.

It was a tough adjustment when i moved down here (2.5 years ago). An early April 10k at 9am in 83F and sunny was without a doubt the most miserable race I've ever run. To compare, last year's Buffalo Marathon (Memorial Day Weekend) was 40F at the start, maybe 44F at the end, and partly cloudy; ideal race weather!

No other place to put this. Two power point presentations today. I hate public speaking. Already completed the first, my shirt soaked with sweat upon completion. Second one at 2pm. I've been a disaster at public speaking forever. I melt in the public eye and cringe at the thought of it. Worst part, only one person in the room has authority over me and I'm not worried about impressing him. It's just the sheer volume of people that gets me.

Unfortunately, the only thing that gets you through the phobia is doing a lot of public speaking. You have to approach that which you are afraid of. I was petrified of public speaking for years, so much so that I even avoided courses where I had to give a presentation as an undergrad. Years later I somehow ended up in a profession where I public speak all the time. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get and the more comfortable you feel.

Re: the sweat issue, wear a suit coat. You can always chalk it up to wanting to look professional when you speak. And, a dark suit coat will hide the pits well.

Also, if you get nervous, I recommend you don't try to stay stationary. Move around. It'll allow you to release some of the nervous energy.

As well, I always try to know beforehand what I am going to say on the first few slides. If you get off to a good start, you'll relax and will do great the rest of the way!

Guest Sloth

Yeah. Here it'll hover around 95F until midnight or so before dropping off, so there's not a huge difference between, say, 5pm and 9pm.

I will agree with the bolded comment. Once you stop and stretch, then the sweat starts pouring out like a waterfall.

It was a tough adjustment when i moved down here (2.5 years ago). An early April 10k at 9am in 83F and sunny was without a doubt the most miserable race I've ever run. To compare, last year's Buffalo Marathon (Memorial Day Weekend) was 40F at the start, maybe 44F at the end, and partly cloudy; ideal race weather!

Wish I could adjust. I've been living in Mississippi for 20 years and I still haven't gotten used to the heat. Running in cool weather is awesome. I always enjoyed the last few weeks of cross country. Start of the season was brutal. Too hot. Still loved it, but the races were more fun when the temps began to cool off.

Unfortunately, the only thing that gets you through the phobia is doing a lot of public speaking. You have to approach that which you are afraid of. I was petrified of public speaking for years, so much so that I even avoided courses where I had to give a presentation as an undergrad. Years later I somehow ended up in a profession where I public speak all the time. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get and the more comfortable you feel.

Re: the sweat issue, wear a suit coat. You can always chalk it up to wanting to look professional when you speak. And, a dark suit coat will hide the pits well.

Also, if you get nervous, I recommend you don't try to stay stationary. Move around. It'll allow you to release some of the nervous energy.

As well, I always try to know beforehand what I am going to say on the first few slides. If you get off to a good start, you'll relax and will do great the rest of the way!

I find that the best thing to do is practice repeatedly until you know what you are going to present stone cold. and keep your hands in front of you and moving. goes back to the nervous energy you mentioned.

I find that the best thing to do is practice repeatedly until you know what you are going to present stone cold. and keep your hands in front of you and moving. goes back to the nervous energy you mentioned.

For me, I've found that asking people you trust to give honest feedback afterwards helps. I was told that I talked way too fast, and in thinking about fixing one small thing during a presentation, it's helped me forget that I'm in front of x number of people. I think it's kind of like a golf swing in that focusing on one little piece helps the entire thing?

Every presentation can't be geared like this, but I've also found that starting out by saying you are happy to do Q&A during the talk helps make it flow better and feel more informal. Lastly....before you speak ask yourself the main points you're trying to get across and make sure you reinforce them.

Keep getting your reps and you'll feel better up there. It's rare for people to like public speaking, but I respect people even more when I know they're conquering a fear to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running every other morning, biking with d4rk on the weekends, and doing lots of squats/situps/round the house stuff (you can laugh, but dancing games for the Kinect are a helluva workout when you want to stay in air conditioning) and have really worked on eating better. I miss my chocolate, though.

In the last 2 1/2 weeks or however long it's been since this thread motivated me, I've lost 1.5 inches in the waist (36-26-36... let's see if I can get down to the "perfect" 24), 4 pounds, and things are slowly toning up.

I'm hoping the biking and running improves my stamina so I can skate a little better when my summer hockey session starts up mid July.

So thanks, guys and girls, for starting this thread and reminding me to get my ass in shape. :thumbsup:

I've been running every other morning, biking with d4rk on the weekends, and doing lots of squats/situps/round the house stuff (you can laugh, but dancing games for the Kinect are a helluva workout when you want to stay in air conditioning) and have really worked on eating better. I miss my chocolate, though.

In the last 2 1/2 weeks or however long it's been since this thread motivated me, I've lost 1.5 inches in the waist (36-26-36... let's see if I can get down to the "perfect" 24), 4 pounds, and things are slowly toning up.

I'm hoping the biking and running improves my stamina so I can skate a little better when my summer hockey session starts up mid July.

So thanks, guys and girls, for starting this thread and reminding me to get my ass in shape. :thumbsup:

only if you're 5'3"

How you doin'? ;)

only if you're 5'3"

Now here's my scandal.

and I'm 5'5". :(

:clapping:

And good on you, Jo! I've managed to stick with my new morning (except on the weekend) workout routine for 19 consecutive days now. Although I haven't seen any major changes yet on the outside, I do feel stronger and my goal for now is to make this a permanent habit and step up the intensity as I go, so I'm happy about that.

:clapping:

And good on you, Jo! I've managed to stick with my new morning (except on the weekend) workout routine for 19 consecutive days now. Although I haven't seen any major changes yet on the outside, I do feel stronger and my goal for now is to make this a permanent habit and step up the intensity as I go, so I'm happy about that.

Thanks!

And that's what it's about. I read somewhere it takes 2 weeks to form a habit and something like 14 to break it. Well, working out is kind of both- the first 2 weeks are great.... then there's those remaining 12 to break the habit of NOT working out and making it routine. 19 is a good number- that's the better part of a month! Woo!

We're MACHINES here. (please read that in brock samson's voice)

BrockSamson.gif

I'm late to this thread. Competitive cyclist here. It's tough to compare running to biking miles, intensity is #1. Running is always better bang for buck calorie wise, but running sucks. A lot of guys use fixies (track bikes) in the winter to maintain fitness, build leg strength, and burn calories in zone 2-3. They are fun and beautiful to look at, hence the hipster love, but probably not a good spot for a new cyclist to start.

I rode my single speed for a year, started to break spokes, built a fixed gear wheel and rode it as fixie ever since. I just put some new tires on it.

14488197675_043f8758ac_z.jpg

White tires by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

Same as the previous set I just wore out, but bling-ier.

For motivation - 1 - goal setting - pick a race or charity ride 3 months out and use that deadline to get yourself out of bed. 2 - technology - STRAVA is a fantastic free GPS based app for droid/iphone (or garmin) that times you over user created segments. You can compare your times to other users or just yourself. Makes it fun to have mini-goals during a workout like set a best time on a hill or over a certain segment of the canal path, etc.

Ack, I hate charity rides. And I'm no racer. For the most part, I start all my rides from my house, so that cuts out most charity rides (they're too far away to ride to).

What got me riding was work - my office changed for a while and my house was only 7 miles from work. For the two years I worked there, I rode to work most of the time. When my office changed again (to 17 miles each way) I rode far less frequently, but by then I was in the habit of cycling. Down here it can get to be 100-110*F for the ride home, and when it is I can't really do the commute. There's a group in town call the Night Riders and they do what they say - ride their bikes at night. Especially during the summer months, waiting till after dark helps make the ride more tolerable.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on stumbleupon, had a ton of information that i wasn't aware of / totally clear on. Solid resource for beginners and fitness freaks alike! If you have the time this baby covers everything from body types, diet, nutrition, anaerobic and aerobic exercises! It's a great read, and I figured this would be a good place to share it.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/31JdSm/6qAO_jLZ:PcSND00a/simplesciencefitness.com

• 1 year later...

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to ask if anyone here does the whole "gym membership" thing. I'm dying to get more exercise and I've never been a gym rat, but hockey is just too expensive for me to be playing more than once a week. Is the $10/mo for Planet Fitness worth it? I'm mostly interested in equipment like upright bikes, rowing machines, leg machines, squat racks...

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to ask if anyone here does the whole "gym membership" thing. I'm dying to get more exercise and I've never been a gym rat, but hockey is just too expensive for me to be playing more than once a week. Is the $10/mo for Planet Fitness worth it? I'm mostly interested in equipment like upright bikes, rowing machines, leg machines, squat racks...

I pay for a Planet membership and typically go on my way to work every morning (or close to).  I do a multitude of things there, the only thing  I don't do is run on the treadmills.  There are tons of equipment including cables and some free weights.  I change my workout up every 4 - 5 weeks to try new things so I don't get bored.  I love it, and it's much cheaper than other memberships around, and it's literally right on my way to go to work. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.