The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I pay for a Planet membership and typically go on my way to work every morning (or close to).  I do a multitude of things there, the only thing  I don't do is run on the treadmills.  There are tons of equipment including cables and some free weights.  I change my workout up every 4 - 5 weeks to try new things so I don't get bored.  I love it, and it's much cheaper than other memberships around, and it's literally right on my way to go to work. 

The one here in Amherst is somewhat out of my way but I could probably make it work. Is a locker rental or anything included with the membership? 

The one here in Amherst is somewhat out of my way but I could probably make it work. Is a locker rental or anything included with the membership? 

The one I go to doesn't allow you to store things there longterm.  You can use any open locker while you're there, and obviously put a lock on it, but any locks left on there over a certain amount of time will not be tolerated per their signage.  Not sure if that means they'll cut it off or what.  

If you get the black card there are other perks such as massage chair usage, discounted drinks, tanning, etc.  I only have a white card, so I get 24 hr usage and it's just the $10/mo (I actually paid for my membership all at once so it was only $99 on a special promotion).  The black card is slightly more expensive and you go to other locations and bring a guest I believe 

The one I go to doesn't allow you to store things there longterm.  You can use any open locker while you're there, and obviously put a lock on it, but any locks left on there over a certain amount of time will not be tolerated per their signage.  Not sure if that means they'll cut it off or what.  

If you get the black card there are other perks such as massage chair usage, discounted drinks, tanning, etc.  I only have a white card, so I get 24 hr usage and it's just the $10/mo (I actually paid for my membership all at once so it was only $99 on a special promotion).  The black card is slightly more expensive and you go to other locations and bring a guest I believe 

Hm. The Black card hardly seems worth it. Bummer that I'd have to bring a lock with me every time but that's the way it goes I guess haha 

Hm. The Black card hardly seems worth it. Bummer that I'd have to bring a lock with me every time but that's the way it goes I guess haha 

I just leave my lock in my bag for every day so I don't forget it.  In the morning when I go, I don't lock my locker anymore.  It's the same 10 people there every morning at 5AM, and if you're a new person, and you really want to steal my work clothes while I work out or shower, go for it.  I leave all my valuables locked in my car. 

Hey d4rk, for what it's worth... I go to World Gym in Rochester (well, Greece) for $10/month and it's VERY worth it.  That is a great price.  Using it twice/week means ~$1/visit.  Not sure what the prices would be for World Gym in Buffalo, but it looks like there are a few locations.  I think the quality of gyms can vary from location to location, so be sure to check it out before going all in.  My World Gym is full of meatheads, but it's not too busy to the point where I'm waiting for equipment.  It may also be worth it to give it a visit during the same time/day you would typically go to work out, to get an appropriate idea of how busy it is.  Dennis is right about the padlock.. just leave one in your gym bag, no big deal.

I'll also recommend choosing a gym that is very close to home or work (on en route a la Dennis), if possible.  This ensures that you don't use commute time as an excuse not to go ;) Lastly, once you actually pay money for a gym, it forces you to actually use it!

Disclaimer: I only use the gym for upper body weightlifting once/week and lower body lifting once/week.  My World Gym has a ridiculous amount of cardio machines that I assume have never been used all at once.  Also... since I moved back from Texas earlier this year, I am terrified of not being able to exercise outdoors all winter.  Rock climbing is another way to get exercise in, but can be a little expensive (Red Barn climbing gym at RIT is cheap though!)  XC Skiing is a cheap option, I think, too.

--

I completely forgot about this thread.  I want to brag just a little bit.... Today I received my email of acceptance for the Boston Marathon 2016!  I had been working toward qualifying for and running the race since Fall 2010, so it will have been a 5.5-year adventure by the time the race comes around in April.  I qualified with a sub-3-hour time in May.  w00t!!!

Hey d4rk, for what it's worth... I go to World Gym in Rochester (well, Greece) for $10/month and it's VERY worth it.  That is a great price.  Using it twice/week means ~$1/visit.  Not sure what the prices would be for World Gym in Buffalo, but it looks like there are a few locations.  I think the quality of gyms can vary from location to location, so be sure to check it out before going all in.  My World Gym is full of meatheads, but it's not too busy to the point where I'm waiting for equipment.  It may also be worth it to give it a visit during the same time/day you would typically go to work out, to get an appropriate idea of how busy it is.  Dennis is right about the padlock.. just leave one in your gym bag, no big deal.

I'll also recommend choosing a gym that is very close to home or work (on en route a la Dennis), if possible.  This ensures that you don't use commute time as an excuse not to go ;) Lastly, once you actually pay money for a gym, it forces you to actually use it!

Disclaimer: I only use the gym for upper body weightlifting once/week and lower body lifting once/week.  My World Gym has a ridiculous amount of cardio machines that I assume have never been used all at once.  Also... since I moved back from Texas earlier this year, I am terrified of not being able to exercise outdoors all winter.  Rock climbing is another way to get exercise in, but can be a little expensive (Red Barn climbing gym at RIT is cheap though!)  XC Skiing is a cheap option, I think, too.

--

I completely forgot about this thread.  I want to brag just a little bit.... Today I received my email of acceptance for the Boston Marathon 2016!  I had been working toward qualifying for and running the race since Fall 2010, so it will have been a 5.5-year adventure by the time the race comes around in April.  I qualified with a sub-3-hour time in May.  w00t!!!

Hey Congrats!! That's awesome!!

I plan on running my second half marathon next spring.  I ran one back in 2013 but haven't run in one since.  I'm itching to get back into it.  

Cereal you are a monster. Only one who hates themselves can run that much.

I just got a 1 year membership at planet fitness on the same deal Dennis did. Going for the second time tonight. Although apparently having a jug full of water is deemed a "lunk" thing to do. Are they kidding?

Pfft if a gym has a problem with me crushing a G then maybe I don't want to go there.

Hey d4rk, for what it's worth... I go to World Gym in Rochester (well, Greece) for $10/month and it's VERY worth it. That is a great price. Using it twice/week means ~$1/visit. Not sure what the prices would be for World Gym in Buffalo, but it looks like there are a few locations. I think the quality of gyms can vary from location to location, so be sure to check it out before going all in. My World Gym is full of meatheads, but it's not too busy to the point where I'm waiting for equipment. It may also be worth it to give it a visit during the same time/day you would typically go to work out, to get an appropriate idea of how busy it is. Dennis is right about the padlock.. just leave one in your gym bag, no big deal.

I'll also recommend choosing a gym that is very close to home or work (on en route a la Dennis), if possible. This ensures that you don't use commute time as an excuse not to go ;) Lastly, once you actually pay money for a gym, it forces you to actually use it!

Disclaimer: I only use the gym for upper body weightlifting once/week and lower body lifting once/week. My World Gym has a ridiculous amount of cardio machines that I assume have never been used all at once. Also... since I moved back from Texas earlier this year, I am terrified of not being able to exercise outdoors all winter. Rock climbing is another way to get exercise in, but can be a little expensive (Red Barn climbing gym at RIT is cheap though!) XC Skiing is a cheap option, I think, too.

--

I completely forgot about this thread. I want to brag just a little bit.... Today I received my email of acceptance for the Boston Marathon 2016! I had been working toward qualifying for and running the race since Fall 2010, so it will have been a 5.5-year adventure by the time the race comes around in April. I qualified with a sub-3-hour time in May. w00t!!!

Coming back to your post, there's a World Gym on Sheridan drive right near my office. That just might work.

Cereal you are a monster.  Only one who hates themselves can run that much.

I just got a 1 year membership at planet fitness on the same deal Dennis did.  Going for the second time tonight.  Although apparently having a jug full of water is deemed a "lunk" thing to do.  Are they kidding?

I bring my Nalgene (1 liter) and just refill it after a bit.  Never had anything said to me. 

i'm an avid cycle-baller.   went to the world championships in Japan, that's me on the bike.

I started out laughing but now my mouth is just agape in admiration. I wouldn't make it through the opening warmup. Which one are you?

Fourth goal... top shelf where we hid the atom bomb! Too soon?

Congrats to the marathon runners. Cereal, that is amazing.

I have enough trouble getting through a 5k distance, let alone 26+ miles. I set up my own 5k course and after doing the run-walk thing, I was able to run the entire distance starting back in June. After doing that about 15 times and getting down to about a 9:00 mile pace, I got greedy. The next time out, I ran the first mile in 8:00. There was no second mile. After the mental letdown of pulling up short, I haven't finished the course since. I lost the pacing that was working.

So instead of getting frustrated I started running intervals, a quarter mile in 1:30, half mile in 3:30, mile in 8:00. Now I'm trying to put it back together again. I started out running a quarter mile in 2:00, then walking a quarter mile, and so on. Then I added 20 seconds to the run, then 40, then 60 and so on. The other night I ran 3:20 and walked the remainder of the second quarter mile, rinse and repeat. But, again, at that 8:00 mile pace, I was really struggling with less walk time to recover.

I think I need to find a middle ground, maybe shoot for a 2:10 quarter mile, which would eventually be a total time of just under 27 minutes. Not bad.

I started out laughing but now my mouth is just agape in admiration. I wouldn't make it through the opening warmup. Which one are you?

Fourth goal... top shelf where we hid the atom bomb! Too soon?

No kidding, that's pretty impressive. That being said, I'd love to see it on a bigger field with more riders.

Y'all are inspirational. That cycle ball stuff is awesome. And to those of you who run, I tip my hat. I don't wear a hat, but, close enough. 

I know it's a cop out but I wish I had more time/wish I was a better morning person. I am at the point where in order to improve/break the plateaus in both of my physical activities, I need to train. I need to drop some extra weight/increase flexibility for aerials and strengthen my legs/increase stamina for hockey. I just moved up a level in both... and really need to get running again. I'm just so damn tired working 3 jobs. 

For the first time in my life I have upper body strength- the circus stuff has made a difference in my hockey stick handling/shots too. It's neat, but I'm pretty weak/slow otherwise. 

I'm motivated by guilt more than anything. I've tried all the "leave your workout gear out in the morning" and even managed to get a routine going for a while of running in the morning half the week and night the other half. Then I got off rhythm and damn, I can't run a mile to save my life. How do y'all do it? I guess I lack willpower/running ability. I get discouraged easily. 

Y'all are inspirational. That cycle ball stuff is awesome. And to those of you who run, I tip my hat. I don't wear a hat, but, close enough. 

I know it's a cop out but I wish I had more time/wish I was a better morning person. I am at the point where in order to improve/break the plateaus in both of my physical activities, I need to train. I need to drop some extra weight/increase flexibility for aerials and strengthen my legs/increase stamina for hockey. I just moved up a level in both... and really need to get running again. I'm just so damn tired working 3 jobs. 

For the first time in my life I have upper body strength- the circus stuff has made a difference in my hockey stick handling/shots too. It's neat, but I'm pretty weak/slow otherwise. 

I'm motivated by guilt more than anything. I've tried all the "leave your workout gear out in the morning" and even managed to get a routine going for a while of running in the morning half the week and night the other half. Then I got off rhythm and damn, I can't run a mile to save my life. How do y'all do it? I guess I lack willpower/running ability. I get discouraged easily. 

I've read that if you do something for 3 weeks, it becomes a habit. I only worked out regularly a few times in my life, and only for a month or two at a time. Otherwise, I'm lazy. I did walk for half an hour this morning, which I suppose is something.

I've read that if you do something for 3 weeks, it becomes a habit. I only worked out regularly a few times in my life, and only for a month or two at a time. Otherwise, I'm lazy. I did walk for half an hour this morning, which I suppose is something.

Yeah, same here. It seems unless I'm scheduled to be there, like a class situation, I'm reaaaallly good at talking myself out of it. I guess this is why people have gym buddies. 

Yeah, same here. It seems unless I'm scheduled to be there, like a class situation, I'm reaaaallly good at talking myself out of it. I guess this is why people have gym buddies. 

I have a gym buddy.  My mom (laugh all you want) goes to the gym every morning before work (she's a middle school science teacher now) and guilts the out of me if I don't show up.

oh yeah, did I mention she's retired Army reserve - 35 years of service...still going strong every morning  :worthy:

• 1 month later...

I'm running a 5K tomorrow. At least I've told myself — and a lot of others, including SabreSpace — that I am. I think I'm announcing it so I put some pressure on myself not to bail out. I am nervous as hell. Not sure why. It'll be timed, but it's for fun and for a good cause. Anybody have any tips? I've already read about running your own race and not getting caught up in the hoopla and other runners. I'm going to try and pace myself the first mile, go a little slower than I have been, then try to "turn it on" toward the end. We'll see. If I finish in under 29:00 I'l be happy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.