The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Been struggling with motivation and fitting a regular workout routine into my schedule, but I found out the other week that my new employer has a fitness incentive plan!  You have to use an activity tracker and link it with a third party website, but basically if you're moderately to vigorously active for 30 min. at least 12 days out of every month, they pay you $25/month.  I caved and bought a Fitbit Charge HR, and although it's ugly and I dislike having to wear it all the time on my wrist, it works well and the Fitbit app is very user-friendly.  Using the combined work incentive and tracking to help me get into a routine.  So far, so good...

My company has had us wearing pedometers for years. They have different levels you earn during the year, and it goes to your Medical Spending Account; you can earn up to $600 in medical money toward deductibles and stuff.

We call them tracking devices.

My company has had us wearing pedometers for years.  They have different levels you earn during the year, and it goes to your Medical Spending Account; you can earn up to $600 in medical money toward deductibles and stuff.

Wow, that's pretty good!

Yeah, I know, invasion of privacy and all that, but I basically see it as a discount for getting up and being active, which if the company is paying for my health insurance, they have every right to ask for.

I should qualify my stance; I'm all for this kind of thing as long as it remains voluntary.  If my employer required it, I would not be happy.

I should qualify my stance; I'm all for this kind of thing as long as it remains voluntary.  If my employer required it, I would not be happy.

It's not required, it's incentivized.  I think it's pretty awesome on those terms.

No. They don't.

They don't require it, they ask for it.  If you don't do it, fine.  But people who do get cash back.  It's like taxing people for being lardasses.

It's not required, it's incentivized.  I think it's pretty awesome on those terms.

They don't require it, they ask for it.  If you don't do it, fine.  But people who do get cash back.  It's like taxing people for being lardasses.

Would kill for something like this from my health insurance company.

Would kill for something like this from my health insurance company.

I thought most insurers were doing something like this these days?  Mine gives my wife and I $350 a year each if we get a general health screening, do some other online health screenings, and track a few health goals that you can choose from a long list.  In my case, and I'm sure many others, I would question the data they're getting since I just tend to "get it done" as quickly (but not always as accurately) as possible  :angel:  :ph34r:

Oh and it's not required, it's voluntary.  And it's up to $350, since you can do some stuff but not other stuff if you choose.

I thought most insurers were doing something like this these days?  Mine gives my wife and I $350 a year each if we get a general health screening, do some other online health screenings, and track a few health goals that you can choose from a long list.  In my case, and I'm sure many others, I would question the data they're getting since I just tend to "get it done" as quickly (but not always as accurately) as possible  :angel:  :ph34r:

Nothing like that at all. Just a surcharge for smokers and age.

Agreed!

My company has had us wearing pedometers for years.  They have different levels you earn during the year, and it goes to your Medical Spending Account; you can earn up to $600 in medical money toward deductibles and stuff.

Psh that's awesome. We did the pedometer/fit bit thing and rigged a game where you'd battle enemies made by everyone in the office/progress with the steps you earned. It lasted a couple months. Getting video game people to walk more than they have to is pretty much impossible. 

Psh that's awesome. We did the pedometer/fit bit thing and rigged a game where you'd battle enemies made by everyone in the office/progress with the steps you earned. It lasted a couple months. Getting video game people to walk more than they have to is pretty much impossible. 

The problem is that you and like two other people in your office were getting about 500% of the exercise of everyone else. No one else could possibly compete with that.  :P

I don't really track speed, which means I'm slow I guess.  On ride of any length I usually average about 13-15 mph.

That doesn't seem slow. I probably should have just asked how long it takes to ride 32 miles. That's darned impressive, especially in the hot and humid conditions I am assuming you have to deal with on a regular basis.

Well the last ride was in 40-50 degree temps.  That was a "Critical Mass" ride, a ride where the intent is to show a presence of bicycles on city streets to raise awareness to drivers.  The group ride portion itself wasn't very fast, probably less than 10 mph (especially since we stopped when someone got a flat).  It was about 10 miles to the ride start.  After the ride I had dinner and a few beers before riding home, which was another 11 miles.  I'd like to live closer to where the rides start, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to moving closer into the city.  And frankly, having to ride an extra 8-10 miles each way to the starts of the group rides I do, is good because it gives me extra miles on every ride.

People with "real bikes" (the carbon fiber masterpieces with shifters integrated into the brake levers and such) go a lot faster than I do.

It ain't about how fast you get there, it's all about enjoying the ride.

Speaking of which...

Real Runners Do Take Walk Breaks

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/18/real-runners-do-take-walk-breaks/?_r=0

A guy told me today that his ex-wife walked a marathon. I had never until that moment considered the possibility. It's probably harder than it sounds.

Speaking of which...

Real Runners Do Take Walk Breaks

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/18/real-runners-do-take-walk-breaks/?_r=0

A guy told me today that his ex-wife walked a marathon. I had never until that moment considered the possibility. It's probably harder than it sounds.

Do what your body tells you to do. Not your preconceived notion of peer pressure winning.

My take on the article.

More than just runners need to have the same attitude. 

Good find.

It ain't about how fast you get there, it's all about enjoying the ride.

Exactly.  Well, except most of my rides head north and go south on the return trip, straight into the normal prevailing wind.  There's just no enjoying that.

I think I've probably done more to improve my fitness level riding 8 mph into a 25 mph headwind (uphill for sections) just getting home, than all the rest of my riding.

Edited by The Big Johnson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.