The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Here I am last night after a 5-mile run in Rochester, Day #2 of marathon training.... This will be my first time training completely through the Rochester winter, since moving back here from Texas last February.  It is horribly frustrating.  Maybe the comedic value of this post can provide at least some form of justification that living in this kind of climate is worth it...

5miRunInSnowSmall.jpg

Were you and your twin brother separated at birth?

You look suspiciously like another Saberspacer here. (The one who, not surprisingly, was the very next one to post after you.)

Here I am last night after a 5-mile run in Rochester, Day #2 of marathon training.... This will be my first time training completely through the Rochester winter, since moving back here from Texas last February.  It is horribly frustrating.  Maybe the comedic value of this post can provide at least some form of justification that living in this kind of climate is worth it...

Nice work.  Running in winter temps and scenery is great, the footing though...sucks.  My wife has those trax things for her sneakers, seems to help her.  I'm too stubborn.  

Oh and my bro is CMU alum, early 90s.

Nice work.  Running in winter temps and scenery is great, the footing though...sucks.  My wife has those trax things for her sneakers, seems to help her.  I'm too stubborn.  

Oh and my bro is CMU alum, early 90s.

Anyone tried running snowshoes? I'm not a runner, but I've run very short distances in my regular snowshoes and it's not that unnatural.

Whoa... Cereal is bad-ass.

Anyone tried running snowshoes? I'm not a runner, but I've run very short distances in my regular snowshoes and it's not that unnatural.

Not running, but tried hiking in them for the first time yesterday!  Good stuff. 

32 miles last night, our usual Sunday night pub crawl.  It was a small group of experienced riders so the leader decided to kick some ass between stops.  So we all hung on his tail and had a pretty vigorous 5 mile sprint into the teeth of a 16 mph headwind.  Then I had to rode home from there by myself, another 11 miles mostly into the wind.  I was, well, winded, when I got home.  ;)

Tonight was significant in that it was the first ride this year on my fixed gear bike.  I wasn't planning to ride, but that 3rd period put me in a foul mood and I needed to burn some calories to get out of it.  The wind shifted, so the early part of the ride was into the wind and the ride home was at my back.  Much easier to deal with.  Tonight was a shorter ride, too, only 16 miles.

Oh, and between riding and counting calories, I'm down 10 lb. for the year so far.

My fixie

1917542_925582134157344_2938184064375950

Edited by The Big Johnson

Whoa, usual Sunday night pub crawl??  Good on you my friend.  Also, great work being down 10 pounds!  I'm still sticking with my plan.  Frustratingly only down about 3 pounds but I feel much better and had to notch up a loop in my belt.

Ignore the numbers.  They only serve as something to fixate on.  If you're feeling better and you've tightened that belt, you're on the right track.  Just keep working at it and everything will take care of itself.

Whoa, usual Sunday night pub crawl?? Good on you my friend. Also, great work being down 10 pounds! I'm still sticking with my plan. Frustratingly only down about 3 pounds but I feel much better and had to notch up a loop in my belt.

Good. Slower weight loss is usually a sign you've made sustainable lifestyle changes.

Whoa, usual Sunday night pub crawl??  Good on you my friend.  Also, great work being down 10 pounds!  I'm still sticking with my plan.  Frustratingly only down about 3 pounds but I feel much better and had to notch up a loop in my belt.

There's a group here in Fort Worth called the Night Riders.  We ride twice a week.  In 6 years I think we've only missed one ride (as a group, me, not quite so diligent), and that was when New Year's Eve was on a Sunday.  Sundays are a pub crawl.  We meet up at a bar, then ride to two other bars, then return to the start.  The Sunday ride is usually about 10-12 miles at an easy pace, plus I ride two and from the start (8+ miles each way) which typically gives me about 30 miles on a Sunday night.

Wednesday ride is more of a "fitness ride" where we ride pretty hard, usually for about 16-20 miles (plus my to-and-from) so I usually get in about 35 miles.  We ride at night because when summer comes it's too damned hot to ride during the day.

Our mayor has ridden with us, and gave us a proclamation when we reached 500 rides.

As long as you're losing weight, it's all good.  I'd probably be about the same, except the riding gives me extra calories burned.

More riding today.  Did 29 miles; the winds were 20+ mph out of the south which beat me up on the homeward leg.  But that's part of the territory around here.  Oh... the temps were in the mid 70s though, which almost cancels out the wind.

Stopped and checked out a new place along the river.  Until a few years ago, this land was a working cattle ranch (and there are still sections where cattle graze).  This restaurant is in the same building as Mellow Johnny's, the bike shop that Lance Armstrong started in Austin.  I believe this is the second location.  But back to the restaurant...

12417636_927239967324894_256903792099691

12647063_927239923991565_566876050734049

This was today's steed:

12508732_927261647322726_601671393071911

Edited by The Big Johnson

Must be nice to live somewhere where there is a nice selection of places to eat.

I used to view Ft Worth as a land of chain restaurants. I started looking around and noticed there are a lot of local places too. If your local newspaper has a food critic, follow him on Facebook. It's a good way to see what's around.

I used to view Ft Worth as a land of chain restaurants. I started looking around and noticed there are a lot of local places too. If your local newspaper has a food critic, follow him on Facebook. It's a good way to see what's around.

I find a couple of hidden gems here and there, but most of the decent stuff isn't in my general area. Certainly not something close enough to bike to on a casual ride.

I find a couple of hidden gems here and there, but most of the decent stuff isn't in my general area. Certainly not something close enough to bike to on a casual ride.

Fort Worth isn't known as particularly bike friendly, but I can ride 10 miles or so in most directions and do so in relative safety.  The nice thing is that the neighborhoods flow from one into the next I can take side streets most of the way.  Within that radius there's a pretty good mix of restaurants ranging from those run by cable-famous chefs (like Tim Love, although I'm not much of a fan of his), to Taco trailers where you can get a taco for a buck or so.

12249653_896461073736117_461799968264613

12122643_883846978330860_208126756308801

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.