The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I made it to the gym four nights in a row this week. Feels good. I've really never focused on upper body in my life so I'm making an effort this winter to try to put some muscle on. My legs are trunks compared to the rest of me. I'm like a poor man's velodrome racer.

Goals, eh, thunder thighs? 

8a40fd043322ade1dedffcf390849e64.jpg

D4ark forget upper body, get on bike and join us here: http://www.gvccracing.com/ Sounds like you have a body type advantage.

Derrico - nice work!  Swimming is great. And sounds like you have the calorie control down.  It's not easy.  Takes time to get the motor up and running strong, then burning higher/hotter every day, then month 2-3 stuff starts to come off more easily.  I know there's exceptions, but it is all math.  Calories in / calories out.  Watch Survivor to see it in action.  Myfittnesspal is a good tool.  I like the higher frequency weighing like TrueBlue & Josie.  Daily when I'm training.  That way a super salty meal (water retained) or bad weekend (boozing and garbage plate, necessary to maintain sanity) don't discourage you.  My weds/thurs numbers are my go to.  Down about 3-4#s since Nov (bike, run, try not to over eat).  Getting way harder as age goes up. Alcohol and chocolate are my killers. Mixing in more vodka and whiskey over IPA to get better mileage  :beer: .

D4ark forget upper body, get on bike and join us here: http://www.gvccracing.com/ Sounds like you have a body type advantage.

Derrico - nice work!  Swimming is great. And sounds like you have the calorie control down.  It's not easy.  Takes time to get the motor up and running strong, then burning higher/hotter every day, then month 2-3 stuff starts to come off more easily.  I know there's exceptions, but it is all math.  Calories in / calories out.  Watch Survivor to see it in action.  Myfittnesspal is a good tool.  I like the higher frequency weighing like TrueBlue & Josie.  Daily when I'm training.  That way a super salty meal (water retained) or bad weekend (boozing and garbage plate, necessary to maintain sanity) don't discourage you.  My weds/thurs numbers are my go to.  Down about 3-4#s since Nov (bike, run, try not to over eat).  Getting way harder as age goes up. Alcohol and chocolate are my killers. Mixing in more vodka and whiskey over IPA to get better mileage  :beer: .

I assure you that any body type advantage will be offset by the age and weight of my bike. But those little circuits look like fun. I might have to try this out. 

I assure you that any body type advantage will be offset by the age and weight of my bike. But those little circuits look like fun. I might have to try this out. 

Nice!  Yeah bike matters.  Should be less than 20 pounds for sure (most are 15-17).  There's less formal but equally hard stuff on Saturdays starting in spring if you don't want to invest in a license and stuff. 

I just took my jeans off without unbuttoning or unzipping. Actually, I didn't even take them off.  I took off the belt, the jeans started to fall.

I bought these jeans at least ten years ago.  I was kinda fit then.

I am movin' on up to the East Side!

I just took my jeans off without unbuttoning or unzipping. Actually, I didn't even take them off.  I took off the belt, the jeans started to fall.

Wait........ are you flouncing too?

Really went hard on myself in the gym this week trying to get my legs back in shape for playing goalie on Sunday nights. Had a brutal outing last Sunday but tonight was much better. Looking forward to keeping things going. I want to pitch a shutout in a few weeks.

I just took my jeans off without unbuttoning or unzipping. Actually, I didn't even take them off. I took off the belt, the jeans started to fall.

I bought these jeans at least ten years ago. I was kinda fit then.

Ten year old jeans? I don't think I've ever had a pair last that long.

Really went hard on myself in the gym this week trying to get my legs back in shape for playing goalie on Sunday nights. Had a brutal outing last Sunday but tonight was much better. Looking forward to keeping things going. I want to pitch a shutout in a few weeks.

Ten year old jeans? I don't think I've ever had a pair last that long.

At least ten years.  Maybe twenty.  I'm not kidding.

I don't get to wear jeans often though.

At least ten years. Maybe twenty. I'm not kidding.

I don't get to wear jeans often though.

My "concert jeans" were purchased when I was in 10th grade. That was the 2000/2001 school year. They still fit. Even though they have more holes in them than Jesus.

So far this counting calories and riding the bike a bit seems to be working.  Historically the first week I start a diet is pretty successful and this week was no exception - lost 4 lb.  And I got in 25 miles on my "fast" bike tonight.

My bike (with me in the background).  I took a picture with the bike leaned up against one of the glass towers downtown.

12495218_919107928138098_451227773044316

Last week I decided to get back into things after missing a couple weeks due to being out of town by attempting to go much faster on the treadmill than I usually do.  I don't know why this is always my plan, but it left my legs hurting quite a bit this weekend.  I enjoy that kind of pain though when you know that you earned it, as opposed to it just being from getting older. 

Friday night though, I was moving carrying my empty bin for Christmas decorations down the stairs and I slipped down a few.  I tweaked something in my knee, but like I said earlier in the thread, no excuses this year.  I'm going to get right back to it after work today.  I'll use an elliptical for my warmup instead of a treadmill, but otherwise, no changes.

Running is like...the worst thing for knees. 

I'll take resistance training with the bike or recumbent and then just do unweighted or lightly weighted high rep sets of squats. 

I'll second this.  As mentioned, I'm usually in the pool for cardio workouts.  Just started to add running to my workout regime as well and holy my knees are feeling it.

I'll take resistance training with the bike or recumbent and then just do unweighted or lightly weighted high rep sets of squats.

When I run, it's always on a grassy hill about a mile from my house. It is FAR easier on the knees than running along the roadside. Been doing it, when conditions allow - pretty much late March - November, the past couple of years and haven't had any joint issues.

It's also better for conditioning than just running on more level terrain.

I'm going with, the jeans finally got their chance at freedom from your naughty bits and took full advantage.

So far this counting calories and riding the bike a bit seems to be working.  Historically the first week I start a diet is pretty successful and this week was no exception - lost 4 lb.  And I got in 25 miles on my "fast" bike tonight.

My bike (with me in the background).  I took a picture with the bike leaned up against one of the glass towers downtown.

Old school cool rig right there. And thank you for staging it in the big ring.

I'll second this.  As mentioned, I'm usually in the pool for cardio workouts.  Just started to add running to my workout regime as well and holy ###### my knees are feeling it.

Just cut it right back out. No point in torturing yourself.

When I run, it's always on a grassy hill about a mile from my house. It is FAR easier on the knees than running along the roadside. Been doing it, when conditions allow - pretty much late March - November, the past couple of years and haven't had any joint issues.

It's also better for conditioning than just running on more level terrain.

I agree. I like trail running, or hiking, or running in the snow, or snow shoeing, anything where I can get the cardio and the leg workout without the impact. 

I really don't mind it most of the time.  It's usually just a fairly short warmup period for me and I tend to like the treadmills more for that.  I'll probably go for the lower impact elliptical this week though since I've learned quickly to not mess with a knee if it's hurting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.