The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Not sure, maybe 4 to 1? I think a century (100 miles on a bike) is roughly like a marathon. Endomondo (the tracking app) says I burned almost 7000 calories over 100 miles of riding.

Yesterday's ride was all fixed gear miles. If you don't know what a fixed gear bike is, it's basically a single speed that cannot coast; if the rear wheel is spinning, so are the cranks. So you're always pedaling.

I ride because I CAN'T STAND running.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Neuvirth, that's impressive! Is there such a thing as biker's high?

My question is about rest. I got a 35 pound weight and did some curls last night. I did 6-5-3 reps with the right arm and 3-3-3 reps with the left arm, with a two or three minute break between sets. I've been doing curls for a while now one day on one day off. Am I doing it right? Needing "rest" today after so few reps seems a little silly. Also, should I be doing curls more than once a day, maybe morning and evening?

And — does it sound like 35 pounds is too much right now? The thing is, I don't see how I progress without the challenge. I had hit the wall at 30 pounds.

My question is about rest. I got a 35 pound weight and did some curls last night. I did 6-5-3 reps with the right arm and 3-3-3 reps with the left arm, with a two or three minute break between sets. I've been doing curls for a while now one day on one day off. Am I doing it right? Needing "rest" today after so few reps seems a little silly. Also, should I be doing curls more than once a day, maybe morning and evening?

And — does it sound like 35 pounds is too much right now? The thing is, I don't see how I progress without the challenge. I had hit the wall at 30 pounds.

It's really just about knowing your body's limitations. If you think the weight is too much then it might be. I still recommend mixing weight at the moment, especially with the left arm which seems a little weaker.

Have you always rested that long between sets? I would say maybe shorten the rest period to a minute tops between sets. Try it with the lower weight if your muscles aren't recovering fast enough. Just don't hurt yourself or use bad form. If all you can get out is one rep after thirty seconds of rest then that is fine.

It's really just about knowing your body's limitations. If you think the weight is too much then it might be. I still recommend mixing weight at the moment, especially with the left arm which seems a little weaker.

Have you always rested that long between sets? I would say maybe shorten the rest period to a minute tops between sets. Try it with the lower weight if your muscles aren't recovering fast enough. Just don't hurt yourself or use bad form. If all you can get out is one rep after thirty seconds of rest then that is fine.

Yeah, I've always figured the rest break was too much. And it's actually longer than what I said, because I have only one weight. I curl the right arm, then it rests while I curl the left, then I take my break! It's sort of a mental barrier to break through. After doing both arms, I just feel like I deserve a break or something.

Yeah, I've always figured the rest break was too much. And it's actually longer than what I said, because I have only one weight. I curl the right arm, then it rests while I curl the left, then I take my break! It's sort of a mental barrier to break through. After doing both arms, I just feel like I deserve a break or something.

I would definitely just go from one arm to the next. That rest period while you work one arm should be enough unless you're not getting enough reps.

Another thing to note. If you do a particularly heavy workout and then on your next workout day think you're way too sore, don't skip the workout. Just do some maintenance sets at lower weights. Getting those sore muscles moving even with half the weight is still good for recovery and you won't feel as bad as you would if you tried to do your normal weight and could barely do a set. Your body just isn't ready to try that workout again for another day or two.

Yes. It's call the WEEEE factor. (I just made that up.) But you don't beat your body up as much riding a bike compared to running. Tonight will be more like this, when I do my weekly pub crawl ride.

13554458225_514f690345_c.jpg

Brian by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

Oh, and here's what the exercise did for me (pictures taken when I was getting random recognition things at work about a year apart):

11379020004_45ab05cebb_n.jpg

Before by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

11378970585_21b6998f0f_n.jpg

After by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

Thinking of starting to run again, haven't done any sport in over 6 years, so I'm packing 15kgm to much :D

Am not the person to watch his food or drinking , so i'll have to get me some running shoes again, maybe start playing some football again in the future.

Guest Sloth

If you've been sedentary for any length of time, don't think you can just exercise your way out of it. It takes both exercise and some level of watching what you take in.

Gotta love the 80/20 rule. You are what you eat. Physical fitness is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Now, exercise is still beyond important. People are told to exercise at least 3 times a week. In my opinion, it should be at least 4 times a week.

Gotta love the 80/20 rule. You are what you eat. Physical fitness is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Now, exercise is still beyond important. People are told to exercise at least 3 times a week. In my opinion, it should be at least 4 times a week.

Ich bin ein Berliner?

I got caught in a downpour while walking last night and ran the last half mile to the car. The thunder was getting louder and I have an irrational fear of being hit my lightning (OK, maybe that's rational). Running felt so good, and I was only somewhat out of breath at the car. I never run. Maybe I'll start working it in.

Guest Sloth

Ich bin ein Berliner?

I got caught in a downpour while walking last night and ran the last half mile to the car. The thunder was getting louder and I have an irrational fear of being hit my lightning (OK, maybe that's rational). Running felt so good, and I was only somewhat out of breath at the car. I never run. Maybe I'll start working it in.

Last summer I went for a 6 mile run on a "country" road. I went 3 miles out and made a turn around to complete the run. Shortly after turning around, a thunderstorm moved in. It was HEAVY. I didn't have a spot to take shelter, so all I could do was run hard/fast to get back to my car. W/ every flash and bang my heart jumped. I was literally scared. 15 minutes of horror. Now I check the weather before I go for a run.

Ich bin ein Berliner?

It's not that irrational. I've been indirectly hit twice- once it hit a fire hydrant nearby and then me- knocked me flat out. Felt buzzy and weird when I came to. The other time I was actually inside and it hit the house, and somehow came through the cable box. It hit my mum, the cat on her lap, and ended in me. Her socks were burned, the cat was woozy, and I had a soda can leave scars on my hands where it had burned me. Mum said the can actually glowed in my hand. I joke it's because of the metal in my heart.

Hardest I've ever run was a thunderstorm, too. Tornado sirens wailing, I was running to my car in full panic, in a dress and heeled sandals... and I tripped, broke the straps on the sandals, and managed to break both of my big toes' nails in half by slamming them into the asphalt as my shoes broke/came off my feet oddly. Bleeding everywhere I just flat out barefoot legged it across a flooding parking lot, got in my car, and just screamed my head off in pain.

Don't run in heels, boys. Don't run in heels.

Yesterday's ride was all fixed gear miles. If you don't know what a fixed gear bike is, it's basically a single speed that cannot coast; if the rear wheel is spinning, so are the cranks. So you're always pedaling.

Based on the pictures and this fixie statement, you may be the oldest known hipster in existence. :)

Don't run in heels, boys. Don't run in heels.

http://buffalorising.com/2014/05/the-stiletto-run-finds-a-new-home/

managed to break both of my big toenails
UNGH...things dealing with fingernails and toenails give me the heebie jeebies...I'd be easy to torture...

On topic: I recently got S Health for my Galaxy S4 calibrated and have recorded my Intake/Expenditure of calories and monitoring my protein. My main sources of exercise are Hockey, Road Cycling, Golf (always walk), Paintball and general walking for the day (includes walking the dogs and work).

By the end of the summer I want to be able to bike to my parents house, a hilly 26 mile trek. Currently averaging 10 miles a trip.

No other place to put this. Two power point presentations today. I hate public speaking. Already completed the first, my shirt soaked with sweat upon completion. Second one at 2pm. I've been a disaster at public speaking forever. I melt in the public eye and cringe at the thought of it. Worst part, only one person in the room has authority over me and I'm not worried about impressing him. It's just the sheer volume of people that gets me.

Edited by inkman

What is the conversion rate from bicycle miles to running miles?

I've heard from a cyclist:

10:1 road bike to running

5:1 mountain bike to running

I don't know about the fixie, but that's a really long ride on a fixie! So hipster you are :nana:

If you've been sedentary for any length of time, don't think you can just exercise your way out of it. It takes both exercise and some level of watching what you take in.

It's REALLY tough to get started on a daily/whatever exercise routine if you've been sedentary for so long. The first two to four weeks (from my experience) can be brutal, but after that it just gets easier each week!

I feel bad for people I see on the walking trail who are heavyset and really struggling. I tend to see them a few times, then they disappear. The corollary to that is the middle aged guy who is out running the first nice day in January/first nice day of spring. Beet red face, panting… Never to be seen again. (Unless of course I just happen to not be out when they're out, but that doesn't make for as good a story.)

I feel bad for people I see on the walking trail who are heavyset and really struggling. I tend to see them a few times, then they disappear. The corollary to that is the middle aged guy who is out running the first nice day in January/first nice day of spring. Beet red face, panting… Never to be seen again. (Unless of course I just happen to not be out when they're out, but that doesn't make for as good a story.)

I worry about them. Ever since my neighbor growing up had a coronary when out for a run a hot day, I keep an eye on the runners around my apartment complex. Seems to be a lot of people out there who think that just because they had been in shape (my neighbor was a wrestling coach/former football player) once when they were younger, they can/should run a decent distance on a thermometer spiking afternoon. On a whim. And then only do it once a month or so. I mean, good on you for getting out and exercising, but be smart about it!

My own father does this. He's not a heavy man, but he'll be 70 this year, and seems to think that he can just go run 5 miles without ever really working up to it. He comes back a freakish pall of clammy grey and red. Scares the ###### out of me.

Consistency/pacing- can't really have one without the other when you're starting out.

I've heard from a cyclist:

10:1 road bike to running

5:1 mountain bike to running

I don't know about the fixie, but that's a really long ride on a fixie! So hipster you are :nana:

I'm late to this thread. Competitive cyclist here. It's tough to compare running to biking miles, intensity is #1. Running is always better bang for buck calorie wise, but running sucks. A lot of guys use fixies (track bikes) in the winter to maintain fitness, build leg strength, and burn calories in zone 2-3. They are fun and beautiful to look at, hence the hipster love, but probably not a good spot for a new cyclist to start. FWIW Western NY/Finger Lakes provides some of the best cycling on the planet in my opinion. Tons of roads, wide safe shoulders, varying terrain, scenic.

D4rk if you are spinning out your 53x14 on flat roads you need to get yourself to France. The best amateur racers I know will TT at 26-28mph for 30-60 minutes in 53x16/15. Cadence should be 80-100/minute. Think "fast feet", no mashing.

For motivation - 1 - goal setting - pick a race or charity ride 3 months out and use that deadline to get yourself out of bed. 2 - technology - STRAVA is a fantastic free GPS based app for droid/iphone (or garmin) that times you over user created segments. You can compare your times to other users or just yourself. Makes it fun to have mini-goals during a workout like set a best time on a hill or over a certain segment of the canal path, etc.

Guest Sloth

I worry about them. Ever since my neighbor growing up had a coronary when out for a run a hot day, I keep an eye on the runners around my apartment complex. Seems to be a lot of people out there who think that just because they had been in shape (my neighbor was a wrestling coach/former football player) once when they were younger, they can/should run a decent distance on a thermometer spiking afternoon. On a whim. And then only do it once a month or so. I mean, good on you for getting out and exercising, but be smart about it!

My own father does this. He's not a heavy man, but he'll be 70 this year, and seems to think that he can just go run 5 miles without ever really working up to it. He comes back a freakish pall of clammy grey and red. Scares the ###### out of me.

Consistency/pacing- can't really have one without the other when you're starting out.

People that don't exercise regularly often don't know the dangers of running in hot weather. Love western New York. Always enjoy running there when I'm visiting family during the summer. I'm in Mississippi and the temps right now are insanely high. It literally is a major risk to run in the middle of the day. Heat index is often at 100'. Doesn't matter what type of shape you're in when it is that hot. When running in that type of heat, you're asking for a heat stroke. Yet, I occasionally still do it, so I can't really talk. The runs feel so much more difficult in the middle of the day. When I wait unit the evening to run, it feels like a walk in park. It's also a good idea to sip, not guzzle, water throughout the day. Running is fun. Dread the day I can't do it anymore. Don't care for biking. Everyone has their likes/dislikes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.