The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I'm running a 5K tomorrow. At least I've told myself — and a lot of others, including SabreSpace — that I am. I think I'm announcing it so I put some pressure on myself not to bail out. I am nervous as hell. Not sure why. It'll be timed, but it's for fun and for a good cause. Anybody have any tips? I've already read about running your own race and not getting caught up in the hoopla and other runners. I'm going to try and pace myself the first mile, go a little slower than I have been, then try to "turn it on" toward the end. We'll see. If I finish in under 29:00 I'l be happy.

Don't drink too much water at the water stations.

Find a running cadence that works and stick with it.

That's all I got. I get the red mist and have to pass as many people as I can at all costs. I'm a terrible distance runner :lol:

I'm running a 5K tomorrow. At least I've told myself — and a lot of others, including SabreSpace — that I am. I think I'm announcing it so I put some pressure on myself not to bail out. I am nervous as hell. Not sure why. It'll be timed, but it's for fun and for a good cause. Anybody have any tips? I've already read about running your own race and not getting caught up in the hoopla and other runners. I'm going to try and pace myself the first mile, go a little slower than I have been, then try to "turn it on" toward the end. We'll see. If I finish in under 29:00 I'l be happy.

The best advice is not to worry about your time, try find someone who you feel comfortable keeping pace with and have fun.

Jeff Galloway gives the best advice, he says there are three important things to do when finishing a race

Finish Upright, with a smile on your face and with the desire to do it again.

From a personal note I ran a 13.1 about a year ago and with about a half of a mile left started to pass other runners with ease as I had done a good job pacing myself, and I saw a guy who looked to be 50 pounds overweight lumbering in front of me. I looked and realized he was the only person left between me and the finish line, (mine you that over 200 runners had already finished prior to this point), I figured pass him and I am golden. The second I pulled even with him, he kicked it into a higher gear and absolutely smoked me the rest of the way. I learned never to judge a book by its cover while running a race that day.

Have fun and good luck PA

Edited by BRAWNDO

With a Bloody Mary I hope.

Well, my morning just changed for the better.

I'm allowing that indulgence only because I played hockey three times this week and woke up this morning only one pound away from my goal weight (I wanted to be sub 210 from +240).

Good luck PA. That's pretty awesome.

The best advice is not to worry about your time, try find someone who you feel comfortable keeping pace with and have fun.

Jeff Galloway gives the best advice, he says there are three important things to do when finishing a race

Finish Upright, with a smile on your face and with the desire to do it again.

From a personal note I ran a 13.1 about a year ago and with about a half of a mile left started to pass other runners with ease as I had done a good job pacing myself, and I saw a guy who looked to be 50 pounds overweight lumbering in front of me. I looked and realized he was the only person left between me and the finish line, (mine you that over 200 runners had already finished prior to this point), I figured pass him and I am golden. The second I pulled even with him, he kicked it into a higher gear and absolutely smoked me the rest of the way. I learned never to judge a book by its cover while running a race that day.

Have fun and good luck PA

Your story reminds me of one my friend told me when we were up in Whistler for the Ironman Canada...

This guy was a college rugby player turned triathlete/marathoner. He was just having an off race on some marathon, going along, doing fairly well, and not pushing himself too hard, despite his slower than normal time. The final 3 miles were on an uphill section up to the finish. So he's pushing along, coming up on these final 3 miles uphill, it's 85+ degrees, he's passing people. Earlier on he had passed a rather out of shape girl in a neon yellow halfshirt with sorority stuff on the back and regular athletic short shorts.  Everyone else in this race had streamlined kits on/pro gear. She's struggling mightily on the flat road and just doesn't seem to belong there. He didn't think a thing of it other than she kinda stuck out. 

Well, he started running out of steam on that uphill when he hears another runner. It's yellow shirt, who says "hi!" as she easily jogs by. They hit that hill and she must have had some kind of amazing hill endurance, because, as he put it "fat rolls and all, she powered up those last 3 miles out of sight." So now, whenever he's having a rough race or something, his wife (12 time Ironman finisher, including Kona) just starts teasing him about Yellow Shirt. 

But good luck PA! I can't run worth a crap but I admire mightily those who can :D 

Don't drink too much water at the water stations.

Find a running cadence that works and stick with it.

That's all I got. I get the red mist and have to pass as many people as I can at all costs. I'm a terrible distance runner :lol:

Trust me. NEVER take this guy to a "fun run". My company participated in a Color Run. Let's just say I was having feminine difficulties the day of the race and couldn't move particularly quickly. Which is fine... it's a race where super out of shape people and little kids and people with STROLLERS can amble along and have some fun. 

Nope. d4rk was in GO MOOODE BLEAAHHGHHH and I could barely hobble... "JO PEOPLE ARE PASSING US! THEY'RE BEATING US!" I couldn't go any faster unless I wanted to experience my own color run. We spent the "happiest 5k race" screaming at each other.

You butt. Never again. 

Trust me. NEVER take this guy to a "fun run". My company participated in a Color Run. Let's just say I was having feminine difficulties the day of the race and couldn't move particularly quickly. Which is fine... it's a race where super out of shape people and little kids and people with STROLLERS can amble along and have some fun.

Nope. d4rk was in GO MOOODE BLEAAHHGHHH and I could barely hobble... "JO PEOPLE ARE PASSING US! THEY'RE BEATING US!" I couldn't go any faster unless I wanted to experience my own color run. We spent the "happiest 5k race" screaming at each other.

You butt. Never again.

And this reminds me of why the wife and I no longer play bar league beach volleyball.

I've improved a lot in the last 10 years, but I will never take losing well. Nope, never! I don't even let my son win at Monopoly. Earn it, kid!

Well... it was a show and a half. I thought I paced myself pretty well for the first mile, but suddenly not far into the second mile I just succumbed to the desire to walk for a few minutes, as has happened so many times the last couple of months. Then I was screwed. It was run, walk a bit, run, walk a bit from there. I finished in 32 something.

I'm disgusted with myself. Run-walk was how I started in the spring. By summer I was running the whole 5K distance in about 28 minutes, but then I got greedy and tried to go faster and flamed out. That led me to start running intervals of various times, which is fine, but it got me used to the wanting to stop, the wanting to sit down.

One thing I learned is not to overdress. It was in the low 40s and blustery, so I had a knit cap on and a hoodie over a t-shirt. I would have been fine with shorts and a tee. They say to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer. Good advice.

I shouldn't be too upset. I came a long way this year, but it was a crappy way to end it. There's just no reason to stop. Mommy indeed whipped up a pot pie! Running is a mental battle, and from here on out, I intend to win it. That is why people at whatever level run, I think.

Well... it was a ###### show and a half. I thought I paced myself pretty well for the first mile, but suddenly not far into the second mile I just succumbed to the desire to walk for a few minutes, as has happened so many times the last couple of months. Then I was screwed. It was run, walk a bit, run, walk a bit from there. I finished in 32 something.

I'm disgusted with myself. Run-walk was how I started in the spring. By summer I was running the whole 5K distance in about 28 minutes, but then I got greedy and tried to go faster and flamed out. That led me to start running intervals of various times, which is fine, but it got me used to the wanting to stop, the wanting to sit down.

One thing I learned is not to overdress. It was in the low 40s and blustery, so I had a knit cap on and a hoodie over a t-shirt. I would have been fine with shorts and a tee. They say to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer. Good advice.

I shouldn't be too upset. I came a long way this year, but it was a crappy way to end it. There's just no reason to stop. Mommy indeed whipped up a ###### pot pie! Running is a mental battle, and from here on out, I intend to win it. That is why people at whatever level run, I think.

I'm kinda sad you were running intermittently. If you made it like 2.75 running and had to walk the rest, we could have dubbed it the Ryan Miller 5K run. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Well... it was a ###### show and a half. I thought I paced myself pretty well for the first mile, but suddenly not far into the second mile I just succumbed to the desire to walk for a few minutes, as has happened so many times the last couple of months. Then I was screwed. It was run, walk a bit, run, walk a bit from there. I finished in 32 something.

I shouldn't be too upset. I came a long way this year, but it was a crappy way to end it. There's just no reason to stop. Mommy indeed whipped up a ###### pot pie! Running is a mental battle, and from here on out, I intend to win it. That is why people at whatever level run, I think.

You've won round 1, the hardest round to win. Last year at this time the thought of doing a 5k was non existent. But here you are today the finisher of a 5k. Not as good as you where hoping, but it was your first and doing something for the first time very rarely if ever is done well.

You're already playing how you're going to come out fighting in round 2. 

OUTSTANDING!

You've won round 1, the hardest round to win. Last year at this time the thought of doing a 5k was non existent. But here you are today the finisher of a 5k. Not as good as you where hoping, but it was your first and doing something for the first time very rarely if ever is done well.

OUTSTANDING!

+1

This.

OUTSTANDING!

Perspective. Insight. Grateful. (That's my N'eo impression.)

It really is awful. I've had several avid runners agree. A few talk about the runners high and all that. But I'm guessing that almost universally it's not something done for pleasure, unlike a good brisk walk.

So true. I walk a minimum of two miles a day and often a lot more, and it is usually a joy. Just got back from five sunny miles in the woods and it will probably be the highlight of my day.

Running, unless it is combined with something mentally engaging like ball hockey or tennis has always been nothing but work.

So true. I walk a minimum of two miles a day and often a lot more, and it is usually a joy. Just got back from five sunny miles in the woods and it will probably be the highlight of my day.

Running, unless it is combined with something mentally engaging like ball hockey or tennis has always been nothing but work.

If you have ever watched the movie *A Quiet Man* with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara they coined a phase for a 5 mile walk through the woods... A good stretch of the legs.

Can't say as that they are not one of the best ways to relieve stress and enjoy an afternoon myself. 

I've never known a tennis player that liked running.  Well, there were two of them on our tennis team, but they were runners first.

Edited by qwksndmonster

You can let your mind go and think about whatever? Because all I think about is the fact that I'm running and when can I stop.

For the most part yes, I find it very therapeutic. Where do you run? I find location to matter for me. I have a couple of parks I run at and it's great, but around the neighborhood I find it harder to get in a zone.

Running on a treadmill is the worst. But outside? Glorious. Nothing I enjoy more than a run in nice weather.

One of the MANY things I love about running is the feeling of you being in your own world. Great way to get away from everything. Dread the day I'll have to cut back on running due to getting old and the body "breaking down." 

• 2 weeks later...

Running is the most insidious activity I know.

Thank goodness for bicycles.  If not for them I'd be even fatter.  I did 27 miles tonight.  Met some friends, we stopped by the local Fiesta Mart, picked up some canned goods, dropped them off at a collection box at the T&P Tavern, had dinner and a beer and pedaled home.  Getting a bit chilly at 42 degrees.  (SO much better than 108 in the summer!)

My ride for the night- 1983 Raleigh Super Course

12342449_901584099890481_855907838332074

Edited by The Big Johnson

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.