Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

Good point, but is that going to be an option any team actually goes with?

Not saying you're wrong, just haven't seen it happen yet.

e

1) No has as of yet

2) I have no problem with buying out Gerbe

3) Unless they are planning to be anywhere near the cap, it is a stupid move. Why use a possible ace in the hole if you don't need to?

I'll be interested to see where Armia, Girgensons, & Larsson play this year.

I have a feeling that at least two of them will be on the team to start the year, barring any big movement or injury that gets in the way.

That's nice. They make the kid play through a broken back then don't even have the nads to give him a heads up? W _ _ S _ L

Gerbe literally breaks his back for the guy....and he gets fired in a classless way. What a w_ __ s __ l. I don't disagree with the move, just the execution

I would have preferred a regular buy out, but I'm not too concerned about using a compliance. We'll save one for next year in case Ville is awful again, I don't see any other buyout candidates on the roster, and I think the idea of a team giving up a draft pick for us to buy out their player is probably far-fetched.

Man. So strange. I need to be edumacated on the rationale for going with a CBO. Like I said upthread, my math suggested that an RBO would've resulted in a cap benefit to the team (because buyout savings in year 1 looked to exceed cap hit in coming year). Darcy may be feckless, but he ain't stupid -- I am looking forward to a good explanation for why he went with a CBO.

name='That[/color] Aud Smell' timestamp='1372883917' post='494522']

that is the way it's been reported to this point -- for example

http://www.sbnation....ree-agency-2013

2 kinds of buy outs exist, regular and compliance. but before you can buy out a player (provided the player doesn't have a no-movement clause), you must first place that player on waivers. you can buy out the player once he clears waivers. i infer that there are specified kinds of waiver wires at this point -- waivers intended to assign a player elsewhere, waivers intended to allow for a buyout. in theory, i suppose a team out there could claim gerbe in order to realize the cap-benefit i theorized (but am not sure exists). but in order to achieve that benefit, the acquiring team would need to buy out gerbe (i.e., terminate him). i'm not sure the league would allow for that sort of thing -- claim a guy off waivers so that you can buy him out in order to realize a cap benefit.

I misunderstood what was being presented in the previous post; I didn't have a chance to exercise due diligence.

I understand Gerbe has to go on waivers first before he can be bought out.

If Gerbe clears waivers then it is safe to say that teams were not interested in Gerbe at his current salary based on his past performance.

Essentially, no team was willing to enter into trade negotiations for Gerbe leaving his options really thin.

If the Sabres buyout Gerbe then they assume responsibility for paying him his salary spread out over a number of years.

Consequently, Gerbe becomes a free agent and he may or may not ever play in the NHL again; however, if a team decides that they would like to retain Gerbe's services, then at that point a new contract is negotiated based upon what the new team feels is fair and equitable.

In the original post, That Aud Smell said: If the amount of Buy-Out "savings" in a League Year

is more than the original Averaged Amount for such League Year, then the amount of such excess is included in the Averaged Club Salary for such League Year as a "credit."

I misunderstood what was being presented; however, I did find it interesting that since a team can only exercise a limited number of compliance buyouts, then why waste it on Gerbe considering his contract is minimal?

I realize it's the offseason, but 4 pages on Gerbe? Yikes...

How do you like it, how do you like it more more more! How do you like it, how do you like it soup du jour! How do you like it how do you like it more more more! Sorry ;)

I would have preferred a regular buy out, but I'm not too concerned about using a compliance. We'll save one for next year in case Ville is awful again, I don't see any other buyout candidates on the roster, and I think the idea of a team giving up a draft pick for us to buy out their player is probably far-fetched.

Maybe the trade and buyout option is far-fetched, but why eliminate the option for absolutely zero benefit? Using a compliance on Gerbe saves almost nothing against the cap, and we're not anywhere near the cap ceiling anyway. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Darcy very clearly said Tuesday, he had no plans to use his buyouts.

1) Was he lying? And if so why?

2) Did something change? If so, what?

Darcy can be deliberately vague, but I don't recall him telling boldface lies and for no apparent gain.

So, I think something has changed, and the most likely change is, as posted above, an issue with the 50- contract limit.

I'd say chances are very good, he is expecting to add a few contracts in the very near future.

Darcy very clearly said Tuesday, he had no plans to use his buyouts.

1) Was he lying? And if so why?

2) Did something change? If so, what?

Darcy can be deliberately vague, but I don't recall him telling boldface lies and for no apparent gain.

So, I think something has changed, and the most likely change is, as posted above, an issue with the 50- contract limit.

I'd say chances are very good, he is expecting to add a few contracts in the very near future.

Still woulda bought out Stafford first IMO.

Why are people so outraged?

This is just a business decision on a fringe player on a non-playoff team. Don't get your panties in a twist over such a minor move. Gerbe wasn't good enough and he doesn't fit the mold of a bigger and tougher team to play against.

Maybe the days of acquiring tiny forwards is over for the Sabres. I hope so.

Archived