Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

A couple of notable CBO buyouts for next offseason(unless you can only use one per offseason)...

Stafford and Leino

Instead they waste it on Gerbe who if nothing else would have been a heck of a useful player for Rochester this coming season. That is if he had to clear waivers, and did so successfully.

But let us not be hasty in relinquishing the idea that young Nathan was sent packing because he was caught inflagrante delicto with a Pegula girl.

What's funny is that in her picture, and the google pics of Gerbe and his dog, every distinguishable marking is covered up the way he is positioned with her. Pretty sweet.

We just need the moving company from FWS to verify they delivered that exact couch to Gerbe's house......

This isn't some Ironsides stretch here.....these are all facts.

Somehow I can't connect the dots you're laying out to build some sinister picture. Sometimes cutting a guy off the roster is just cutting a guy off the roster.

Au contraire. Based on the formula posted at CapGeek, the buy-out savings on an RBO would have been $1,541,666 (that is the amount of actual salary due to him ($1,850,000) less one of the two annual payments due to him ($308,333)); cap hit would have been $1,450,000. By my math, there was a $91,666 cap credit to be had.

Again, unless I am missing something or my math is off.

yeah, used wrong number. That credit is nothing. He's gone because he doesn't fit and is taking a roster spot.

He has posted the name of every single player placed on waivers, so clearly listing Gerbe shows that he has some in with the Sabres front office. :rolleyes: :doh:

Certain people just see whatever they want to see whenever anything happens. Meanwhile tin foil stocks are soaring.

Aud mentioned it and it makes sense.

It doesn't stop the other things from being true.

This is small potatoes anyway...no pun intended. I have no clue why you buyout a guy making less than half the league average salary however.

I'd much rather have Tropp at 1.5 than Gerbe.

What forwards are knocking at the door that causes them not to be able to make room for both of them? The amazing duo of Porter and Flynn? A Cody McCormick or Matt Ellis resurgance? Bob Corkum farewell tour?

A couple of notable CBO buyouts for next offseason(unless you can only use one per offseason)...

Stafford and Leino

Instead they waste it on Gerbe who if nothing else would have been a heck of a useful player for Rochester this coming season. That is if he had to clear waivers, and did so successfully.

I think I'm one of the few on this board who actually likes Leino. His salary is a bit high, I'll give you that. But, if he is (1) healthy and (2) put on one of the top 2 scoring lines (not Lindy sticking him with checking line guys), I think he can help this team since he is one of the few puck possession types we have on the roster.

What forwards are knocking at the door that causes them not to be able to make room for both of them? The amazing duo of Porter and Flynn? A Cody McCormick or Matt Ellis resurgance? Bob Corkum farewell tour?

With Hecht and Gerbe gone, who is going to be Hamilton's whipping boy this year?

I'd much rather have Tropp at 1.5 than Gerbe.

I think we all would, but Tropp would have been Buffalo long before Flynn and likely before Porter got called up last season -- Gerbe was still here. And w/ Hecht retiring... IDK. If this was really about that, let them battle it out in camp and see who sticks. I'd rather have Tropp than Gerbe, no question, and for the record I didn't think Gerbe would be here next year (I thought AHL). But if we're buying out players to make room for Tropp on July 3rd, I guess we're not planning on adding any free agents lol

Fair point if that is the case. Still doesn't change the other instances, but if it is that easy to see, then quite possible.

And again, I'm fine with letting Gerbe go. Not sure why the buyout angle was needed, but I guess we wait to hear.

Perhaps it's a wrinkle of the new CBA. This may end up being a common practice going forward.

Too many contracts. If they just waive him down to Amerks it's still a contract on the books. CBO and his contract's gone.

this is why i don't believe there being a nexus between the gerbe buyout and the plan for tropp. i think it's just that gerbe wasn't good enough.

my bigger question remains what this would've looked like had it been an RBO. i'm still not sure i understand that one.

No actually. I do have a brain of my own.

Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. The fact that Hamilton posted Gerbe-for-Tropp 20 minutes before your post to the same effect, coupled with the fact that the theory struck me as so odd/left fieldish, led me to infer that you'd seen Hamilton's suggestion and agreed.

[/size]

They are facts. Believing they are related takes a little too much LSD for me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And they aren't in this case if McKenzie gets access to the waiver wire en masse and it hit before he broke the news. Now we are just down to why does Gerbe get bought out 24 hours after Darcy said none would be used, and why can't you have the common decency to let a lifelong Sabre know at least 20 minutes ahead of time so he doesn't have to have his livelihood killed through the press?

We have a ton of cap space and the richest owner in the league. Add to that a ton of draft picks and prospects (4 first round picks over the past 2 years). It'll take a while, but we're in pretty good shape in the long-run.

The architect....it's all about the architect.

Archived