Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

If the Sabres use a CBO, then the market is not there to trade for a buyout candidate and to buy him out. Even the Islanders did not trade away DiPietro, but buy him out themself.

This year everyone has 2 buy outs, so all the machinations with trades generally weren't going to happen. Next year, a few teams (Philly) will have none left, and some teams (Philly) will have a horrible contract on the books that they need to get rid of. That's kinda when you'll see the action (if any, so far it's all speculation). That being said, the cap will reportedly go up by a bunch.

Now we are just down to why does Gerbe get bought out 24 hours after Darcy said none would be used,

Chz's proffer of efforts to trade the guy seems like a fair explanation.

and why can't you have the common decency to let a lifelong Sabre know at least 20 minutes ahead of time so he doesn't have to have his livelihood killed through the press?

The agent said he had no idea it was coming. We'll see what DR and the player himself have to say.

Which brings me to this: When did Gerbe delete his Twitter? #BeGreat

Tropp already counts in the total player list so that would have no meaning in using a compliance buyout for Gerbe.

There were only three spots left. Now there's four. Risto should get a contract so now there's three again. Some of the new guys won't need contracts just yet but a couple free agents and you're all full up.

There were only three spots left. Now there's four. Risto should get a contract so now there's three again. Some of the new guys won't need contracts just yet but a couple free agents and you're all full up.

Do you have a current list? I thought they were at least 5 or 6 away from the 50 contract limit, even after all the RFA's are accounted for. Maybe I have lost count.

chz's suggestion that waiving gerbe helped with having a more manageable # of contracts (and, in part, helped carve out a spot for tropp in the franchise) is also persuasive.

what i still want to see (and i'm not sure i've been able to create) is a compare/contrast of a CBO/RBO in this case.

what i still want to see (and i'm not sure i've been able to create) is a compare/contrast of a CBO/RBO in this case.

With all due respect, I submit that, with this organization, it doesn't matter.

BOOM goes the Gerbe dynamite.

"I think we need to do a better job of supporting guys. I think confidence is 95 percent of this game. It really is. As an organization you can’t squash guys’ confidence every single day, and I think you’ve got to realize that everyone in this room, if they’re confident, you’re going to have a good team. You guys see a stretch of someone having confidence, and then you see a stretch of someone not having a confidence, and it’s a world of difference in a player. It’s not a different player, it’s confidence in the game. That’s so important to each individual. We’ve got to do a better job of that.

"If guy’s playing well, reward them. If they don’t, talk to them. Don’t just call them out. Everyone sees it in every sport. Confidence is far beyond anything you can imagine.

"I try to stay as positive as I can and as confident as I can, but sometimes you need the support around you to help."

-Gerbe to Vogl before today

We have a ton of cap space and the richest owner in the league. Add to that a ton of draft picks and prospects (4 first round picks over the past 2 years). It'll take a while, but we're in pretty good shape in the long-run.

Thanks to Darcy...just thought I'd remind everyone.

BOOM goes the Gerbe dynamite.

"I try to stay as positive as I can and as confident as I can, but sometimes you need the support around you to help."

meh. gerbe gave vogl a condensed version of his (gerbe's) #BeGreat view of sports, life, the world. that team last year did lack confidence.

what i disagree with is gerbe's apparent suggestion that it's really just confidence that separates the great teams from the good teams from the bad teams -- that had there been better management of the players' confidence in themselves, each other -- then the team would've played like (and been) a playoff team.

that team just wasn't very good. teams that aren't good enough tend to lack confidence. it's not a chicken-egg analysis, IMO. if you want to have a confident team, then you need to have a certain level of talent (size, speed, skill, smarts, tenacity, etc.) and then manage it properly.

[/size]

meh. gerbe gave vogl a condensed version of his (gerbe's) #BeGreat view of sports, life, the world. that team last year did lack confidence.

what i disagree with is gerbe's apparent suggestion that it's really just confidence that separates the great teams from the good teams from the bad teams -- that had there been better management of the players' confidence in themselves, each other -- then the team would've played like (and been) a playoff team.

that team just wasn't very good. teams that aren't good enough tend to lack confidence. it's not a chicken-egg analysis, IMO. if you want to have a confident team, then you need to have a certain level of talent (size, speed, skill, smarts, tenacity, etc.) and then manage it properly.

Yup. I'm not very confident in my golf game. It has nothing to do with my confidence, but rather, I'm not good at golf and no number of pats on the back will change that.

Darcy is also the reason we have to focus our optimism on 4 years from now rather than this season.

Actually it is Pegula. He's the guy who thought he could build a Stanley Cup contender through free agency. Darcy (always a 'yes' man) tried to do what Terry wanted. Now they're doing it the right way (although missing out on Nichushkin was a real gaff).

Actually it is Pegula. He's the guy who thought he could build a Stanley Cup contender through free agency. Darcy (always a 'yes' man) tried to do what Terry wanted. Now they're doing it the right way (although missing out on Nichushkin was a real gaff).

Actually, the right way is probably a mix between the two.

They already tried drafting their way to success once, and all that got us was "the core".

I have zero trust in Regier's ability to do either, though.

Archived