Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

He did not literally say the words "I am not interested..." but he did literally seek out the media after his best game in two seasons to let them know that he didn't like doing what he did and that no one should expect it to be a regular thing. This is, amazingly, what he wants everyone to know about him as an NHL hockey player. And, true to his word, it was not a regular thing and he went back to being the same flat tire he's been most of his career.

What kind of competitor is eager to tell the media he's not up to doing everything he can to help his team win every single game?

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant. But, that's my interpretation.

He's the last of Darcy's "projects".

It started with Tim Connolly, then extended into the the dreaded "core" years.

Essentially, when Darcy has a "project", he's hellbent on sticking with it, no matter the cost or no matter how it hurts the team.

Now, I don't think he does this because he's a bad person, I just think he's overly stubborn, and not very good at identifying when players don't have what it takes to compete every night, at the top level.

He genuinely feels he can turn these players around, because obviously, they're talented - Surely, the rest can be taught!

At least that's how it seems from the outside, looking in.

From the outside looking in I see the same thing. Maybe thats why Pegula likes him ? He fits into the loyalty to a fault thing TPegs preaches with his sticking with good people philosophy. In my opinion you sometimes have to cut good people loose for their own good and for the good of the company. Some people just can't live up to the expectations placed on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for him. Always felt he got more crap than he deserved. Always was criticized for his size because we were tired of small players. Reality is he has more skill than 80% of the clowns on the ice for us right now. Cut Gerbe at 1m but keep Stafford at 4m. Typical.

This is right. Gerbe is closer to being a top six forward than 11 of the forwards the Sabres dress on a given night.

Drew Stafford seems like the invisible man this year. Every once in a while you see the number "21" and realize Stafford's out there. Hasn't really hurt the team, yet, and hasn't really helped the team

I suppose the lack of contribution might be excusable/acceptable for an Amerk call up making $100k, - but a 7 year veteran making millions of dollars a year?

Just found this hilarious http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-10-11/jordan-staal-nathan-gerbe-hurricanes-what-is-corsi-close-nhl-advanced-stats?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Gerbe goes to a new organization gets in the top 6 & starts flourishing......An absolute joke how all it took was leaving this regime. Rebuilding can't start until we have true NHL centers that can compete with the best right now I'm not so sure we have any

Gerbe is also playing for a team with much more top end and depth talent. Carolina is in year 3 of it's rebuild and they are starting to get it together. I see them as contenders next year to some extent. There is a lesson for Sabres fans here, be patient.

Bingo.

Archived