Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

I wouldn't be surprised if Gerbe showed up on a team, Boston for example, that has the size in other players to make room for Gerbe's speed. The kid has talent and I wish him well.

As to the Sabres, I can't blame them for the move since Gerbe is everything they don't want to be any more. BTW, there was a tweet from Harrington that the agent was emailed Gerbe was being waived.

Why do we care what manner was used to remove a waste of a roster spot? It's not like anyone would be mad if it was Stafford instead of Gerbe.

Because we're only allowed 2 compliance buyouts, so it limits options next season? Limiting your future options for a contract with zero long-term implications is dumb.

Because we're only allowed 2 compliance buyouts, so it limits options next season? Limiting your future options for a contract with zero long-term implications is dumb.

Holy cow dude are you even reading the thread?

No one knows but that isn't stopping people from complaining about it.

Looks like it's a compliance buyout based on what i'm reading online.

If it is a compliance buyout, I have the same reaction as many: Why waste one of the two?

If it isn't and is a regular buyout: Good job, Darcy.

If it means anything, Capgeek has Gerbe listed as making $0 against the cap. A typical non-complaince buyout would have salary against the cap.

Sure but if they're going off of the same info we have then of course it'd say that.

Obviously I'm bummed out about this. However, even I can admit that these past two seasons have not been like the first. I loved the kid's hustle and definitely think he belongs in the NHL. He played best when he was placed on a line with two bigger forwards (Mancari and Gaustad come to mind). With that said, even his hustle this past season was lacking when he was in his own end. I was yelling at my TV when he was on D just standing around all the time.

I hope he takes this as a wakeup call and steps it up wherever he goes next.

Still a pretty dumb decision if we wasted a CBO on it... can't wait for the official word.

What are you even talking about? I acknowledged we shouldn't overreact without knowing for sure. Now I just wish you would admit using a compliance buyout on Gerbe is a total waste.

I already said it was. But since we don't know what kind of buy out it is the conversation is pointless.

What forwards are knocking at the door that causes them not to be able to make room for both of them? The amazing duo of Porter and Flynn? A Cody McCormick or Matt Ellis resurgance? Bob Corkum farewell tour?

Grigs, Armia, Girgs, Larsson, Tropp...

I still don't really see an issue one way or the other. Worst case scenario, depending on how they do this year, the two that stick out would obviously be Leino and Stafford. After this year Stafford will only have one year left on his contract, which leaves two options: Unless he absolutely tanks again, if he finishes with 20 goals, a team could be found to trade with to take him off our hands for the one remaining year OR if he does absolutely tank then he could be waived or bought out conventionally. The only other way I see BFLO needing a comliance buyout is with somebody that has a long term contract which leaves Myers and Ehrhoff, and that's not going to happen.

I already said it was. But since we don't know what kind of buy out it is the conversation is pointless.

I don't think he was implying that it was fact yet. He was telling you why it mattered because you said you didn't care as long as he is gone.

Where? All I've seen you say is it doesn't matter how or why he's gone, only that he is.

In my post agreeing with Aud.

I think we have our signals crossed. I'm referring to the supposedly cruel manner in which he was removed, not the type of buyout.

I still don't really see an issue one way or the other. Worst case scenario, depending on how they do this year, the two that stick out would obviously be Leino and Stafford. After this year Stafford will only have one year left on his contract, which leaves two options: Unless he absolutely tanks again, if he finishes with 20 goals, a team could be found to trade with to take him off our hands for the one remaining year OR if he does absolutely tank then he could be waived or bought out conventionally. The only other way I see BFLO needing a comliance buyout is with somebody that has a long term contract which leaves Myers and Ehrhoff, and that's not going to happen.

Yeah, that's just it. If management has no reasonable expectation of needing the buyout next year then better to use it now.

Perhaps I'm confusing things by saying that it doesn't matter what kind of buy-out it is. I'm saying that simply because it's the Sabres and they have a 16 year history of making incredibly bone-headed decisions that leave even moderately lucid fans stuplified.

OF COURSE, in the real world the kind of buy out it is matters, but the Sabres aren't operating there.

But it removes the possibility of the Sabres acquiring another player for the sole purpose of buying him out and thus acquiring another asset from a team.

But it removes the possibility of the Sabres acquiring another player for the sole purpose of buying him out and thus acquiring another asset from a team.

Good point, but is that going to be an option any team actually goes with?

Not saying you're wrong, just haven't seen it happen yet.

Archived