Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Sounds like NHL Expansion is not in the immediate future for the NHL.

Hopefully this means no expansion teams for the 2015 Draft.

http://www.sportsnet...re-down-in-nhl/

Scroll down for video.

Never ever believe what is said on these types of things until it's final. If Bettman starts saying it's going to happen then he can't milk the expansion fee more.

this gave me a chuckle

http://www.buffaloru...ll-be-enforced/

lol this was my favorite part:

Lindy Ruff, when informed of the decision to enforce the minor penalty, was guarded in his response. “I don’t want to get fined but I think that Gary Bettman is a flaming ######. I didn’t know until now that he could actually count to eight.”

Time after time, Tortorella has been given teams that coaches dream of having, and time after time, he screws it all up. It's a miracle that he won in Tampa.

I think Torts has just lost his touch. He was great with the Amerks, then in TB...

He has been awful since. Time to stop coaching.

Time after time, Tortorella has been given teams that coaches dream of having, and time after time, he screws it all up. It's a miracle that he won in Tampa.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I think Torts has just lost his touch. He was great with the Amerks, then in TB...

He has been awful since. Time to stop coaching.

I do believe he has won more playoff series in the past 10 months than Lindy Ruff has in the past 7 years????

I also feel he will be in the playoffs this year and Ruff will not.

I also feel he will be in the playoffs this year and Ruff will not.

Will be a really tough hill to climb. Down four points, three more games played, injuries to a few of your best players, unreliable goaltending, drama... I'd be shocked if Vancouver made it.

Will be a really tough hill to climb. Down four points, three more games played, injuries to a few of your best players, unreliable goaltending, drama... I'd be shocked if Vancouver made it.

He eats that stuff up. There are others alive for the playoffs....my bet would be that both Dallas in the playoffs AND Vancouver out will not happen. The Lindy Shriners are out in force because Dallas is right above the Mendoza Line after floating between 7th and 12th all season. Sounds familiar. I didn't see many people calling the Rangers a "team a coach would dream to have" the past few seasons. If anything people were calling them a farce, overrated, poor puck possession, etc. They did manage to grab a #1 seed and win 3 series the past 2 years.

The Kesler drama is a concern that things aren't right, but I trust Torts to pull it off.

How exactly does the new playoff format work with the wild cards? If those two wind up as teams from different divisions, do they automatically stay within their own division for the first round or does the higher #1 seed get the worst of the wild card teams?

The east standings right now are the perfect example of my question. Boston is currently the top #1 seed, with 1 more point than Pittsburgh. The wild cards are Montreal (77 points) and Philly (73 points). If the season ended today, would Boston get Philly (lowest points) or Montreal (within the division)?

I'd rather see it stay within the division, but I'm guessing that's not how it works.

How exactly does the new playoff format work with the wild cards? If those two wind up as teams from different divisions, do they automatically stay within their own division for the first round or does the higher #1 seed get the worst of the wild card teams?

The east standings right now are the perfect example of my question. Boston is currently the top #1 seed, with 1 more point than Pittsburgh. The wild cards are Montreal (77 points) and Philly (73 points). If the season ended today, would Boston get Philly (lowest points) or Montreal (within the division)?

I'd rather see it stay within the division, but I'm guessing that's not how it works.

The wild cards play the top team from each division. The second wild card plays whoever has the most points regardless of division and then the other wild card plays the winner of the other division.

Then the two and three seeds from the divisions play each other. You don't leave your division until the conference finals aside from the potential of a wild card team making a run.

I believe they do get the lower wild card. Could be more of a problem in the West. Say Anaheim get the Predators. That's a lot of travel for a supposedly easy schedule

He eats that stuff up. There are others alive for the playoffs....my bet would be that both Dallas in the playoffs AND Vancouver out will not happen. The Lindy Shriners are out in force because Dallas is right above the Mendoza Line after floating between 7th and 12th all season. Sounds familiar. I didn't see many people calling the Rangers a "team a coach would dream to have" the past few seasons. If anything people were calling them a farce, overrated, poor puck possession, etc. They did manage to grab a #1 seed and win 3 series the past 2 years.

The Kesler drama is a concern that things aren't right, but I trust Torts to pull it off.

I'm honestly not sure why you have faith in Torts to pull it off. The players ran him out of NY, his bone headed goaltending decision in the Heritage Classic caused them to go from Luongo to Lack, and his style has caused Kesler to ask for a trade. I'd say these blunders should mean more than one good playoff run two years ago.

The wild cards play the top team from each division. The second wild card plays whoever has the most points regardless of division and then the other wild card plays the winner of the other division.

Then the two and three seeds from the divisions play each other. You don't leave your division until the conference finals aside from the potential of a wild card team making a run.

From my understanding, this is correct, and its why they are called "Wildcard" teams, because their divisional alignment doesn't matter. They could end up with 2 teams from the same division in the Wild Card, or one from each, either way the #1 seed in the conference plays the #2 Wildcard, and the #2 seed faces the #1 Wildcard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.