Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I forgot that Tim Connolly ever scored 30 goals in a season. I forgot that he did it twice as Skinner is about to. Give me a break.

If you want a team of talented but useless players by all means assemble one.

Edited by d4rksabre

Something stinks in Edmonton. Losing 8-1 to that Flames team should have alarm bells going off in N.H.L. offfices. This is possibly the worst disguised tank job ( at least Buffalo has the excuse of no top end talent ) in league history. Are they trying to get the #1 pick overall 4,5,possibly 6 years in a row. Pathetic. That G.M. should be shitcanned.

Something stinks in Edmonton. Losing 8-1 to that Flames team should have alarm bells going off in N.H.L. offfices. This is possibly the worst disguised tank job ( at least Buffalo has the excuse of no top end talent ) in league history. Are they trying to get the #1 pick overall 4,5,possibly 6 years in a row. Pathetic. That G.M. should be shitcanned.

The players and fans are trying to sell it. Hard. It looks like a rummage sale out there. For the second time this season, a fan tosses their jersey out on the ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD1JksflupE

Meanwhile, Taylor Hall throws a tantrum, smashing his water bottle down on the bench, which sprays Dallas Eakins with water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBqq6fuSac

Then TSN just goes ahead and lays it on thick anyways.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I was thinking a similar thing about the Sabres. The only good thing they had going was some decent goaltenders. After Miller was traded Enroth and Neuvirth played outstanding and were suddenly "injured?" If Hackett and Lieuwen continue to play well will they suddenly end up "injured?"

If you want a team of talented but useless players by all means assemble one.

We'd end up as were under Regier and no one wants that.

Didn't they just fire their GM last year? In any event I really don't think they're trying to tank, they've just been grossly incompetent for years.

I highly doubt Enroth would pretend to be injured in order to tank. Neuvirth, I don't know what happened to him. But I did read on other forums from Caps fans that he is rather notorious for having phantom injuries and sicknesses. Whether that is true or not, I'm not going to hold against him. But in all seriousness, BFLO has very little talent on the ice, but they did so by making legitimate trades that the NHL approved. The Oilers on the other hand have a team of upper 1st round (if not 1st overall) picks and a ton of talent. They have yet to improve for several years now. They have a coach who looks like he isn't even capabale of handling a cub scout meeting much less a pro hockey team.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Have you seen the Hurricanes roster lately?

You are who you ice.

So then you are saying what you implied? If the Sabres get Skinner then they must build their roster EXACTLY how Carolina has. Shoot. I don't want him, then, I guess.

So then you are saying what you implied? If the Sabres get Skinner then they must build their roster EXACTLY how Carolina has. Shoot. I don't want him, then, I guess.

Skinner is an offensively talented forward. He is also a major commitment and investment at $6 mill a year ($5.725 cap hit) that you are placing in one of your "top six" forwards positions. That means the other five "top six" forwards are going to have to compensate for Skinner's short comings. I for one am tired of this franchise forcing limited players into the "top six." If you believe that Skinner can stretch his game over the entire 200 feet of ice than I'd be with you. I have doubts at this point Skinner has that in him. The flip side is he is only 21. I just wouldn't take that gamble on this player. I'd rather take that gamble on a player like Eberle that was previously discussed.

Skinner is an offensively talented forward. He is also a major commitment and investment at $6 mill a year ($5.725 cap hit) that you are placing in one of your "top six" forwards positions. That means the other five "top six" forwards are going to have to compensate for Skinner's short comings. I for one am tired of this franchise forcing limited players into the "top six." If you believe that Skinner can stretch his game over the entire 200 feet of ice than I'd be with you. I have doubts at this point Skinner has that in him. The flip side is he is only 21. I just wouldn't take that gamble on this player. I'd rather take that gamble on a player like Eberle that was previously discussed.

How is he limited? He's a scorer, don't tell me he needs to hit.

Nevermind, this isn't really thread related.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This whole notion of top 6 is driving me batty. Innthe Cap era what you are looking for is really a top 4 and then have players on the rest of your roster capable of playing with them. Some years that may be a veteran on a one or two year deal, some years an up and comer who may eventually replace a top 4 it be dealt off to acquire more talent when you can't afford him.

As for Skinner, how is he any different then Kessel who you continue to salivate over?

Edited by tom webster

I guess we will agree to disagree with this then. I don't understand why people think there aren't players like this, or even more "waify" than Skinner on a ton of successful teams. Teams don't just build a top six of Callahan's and Toews. It simply can't happen. You can't just go out and get six Toews, he's one of maybe 10 players in the league that can actually be capable of scoring 30+ goals in a season while be a 200ft player. So you have to supplement; take some skill players like Skinner, Kane, etc. with the grit players like Shaw, Gaustad's, Girgs, etc. The Blackhawks are nearing a dynasty (I'd consider them one if they win this year) with this exact model.

$6 million/year is large, but it is nowhere near the type of financial commitment that will cripple your team. Like I said, balance. Pittsburgh has two players at over $8.5 million/year, Chicago has three at ~$6 million/year, and that's not even counting the d-men. Skinner is 21 years old and will hit the 30 goal mark for the second time in his very short career. How many players have done that twice in the first 4 years of their career?

I can see this quickly becoming the Kassian vs. Hodgson 2.0

Edited by WildCard

Jeff Skinner, Tyler Ennis, Cody Hodgson. Striking fear into the hearts of the enemy.

This whole notion of top 6 is driving me batty. Innthe Cap era what you are looking for is really a top 4 and then have players on the rest of your roster capable of playing with them. Some years that may be a veteran on a one or two year deal, some years an up and comer who may eventually replace a top 4 it be dealt off to acquire more talent when you can't afford him.

As for Skinner, how is he any different then Kessel who you continue to salivate over?

Kessel is a better player than Skinner and produces at a higher level. Kessel is one of the premier players in the NHL.

Jeff Skinner, Tyler Ennis, Cody Hodgson. Striking fear into the hearts of the enemy.

You can group them based on physical play and defensive coverage, but you can't compare them based on offensive production, it's not even close.

Kessel is a better player than Skinner and produces at a higher level. Kessel is one of the premier players in the NHL.

But he's the same kind of player Skinner is, just at $2 million/year more for around 7 goals/year more

Exactly

Edited by WildCard

I don't think anyone thinks those three players would be your top 3 forwards and most of us realize that you can not have both Ennis and Hodgson on the team

Edited by tom webster

You can group them based on physical play and defensive coverage, but you can't compare them based on offensive production, it's not even close.

But he's the same kind of player Skinner is, just at $2 million/year more for around 7 goals/year more

Exactly

Actually Kessel is much more than that. He is game has matured and he has gotten much better defensively.

Actually Kessel is much more than that. He is game has matured and he has gotten much better defensively.

Who's to say Skinner won't do that in 5 years? He's locked up for that long.

I'll admit I don't watch much of Kessel, can anyone confirm or deny this?

I know he's not Ovechkin bad, but he isn't Datsyuk either

Edited by WildCard

Who's to say Skinner won't do that in 5 years? He's locked up for that long.

I'll admit I don't watch much of Kessel, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Kessel has become one of the leagues better, more dominant forces but nobody confuses him with Frank Selke. He is more mature and at least knows where the defensive zone is.

He was, however, just like Skinner when Boston dealt him to the Leafs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.