Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

According to someone at WGR, "The Hobby" is worth a couple hours of radio on Saturday mornings. :)

Back when the Rehaume thing was current, I remember a friend of mine gushing over it. She was a rock-star Field Hockey goalie and played on some Buffalo club ice hockey teams, but I don't know if she got very far with it.

Guess not, she's in the Air Force now. But this is pretty cool from her pictures:

67267_1623277300077_2323637_n.jpg

That's awesome!

'Round the NHL- Datsyuk out 3 weeks with bad knee. Zetterberg is out probably until the playoffs... But I'll be honest, Detroit is making it a close call to making the playoffs this year. Adjust your fantasy teams accordingly. :(

Are those guys the Hanson brothers?

I'm going to guess the French Connection

they really hate each other. I think Caps-Flyers is more of a true rivalry rather than the Caps-Pens manufactured rivalry.

well the only reason for the supposed 'Rivalry' between Washington and Pittsburgh is the media pushing "Crosby and Ovie, Whos the Best?"

So the NHL is no longer going to Penalize the Devils for the Kovalchuk contract...

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

NHL will award Devils with the 30th pick in the Draft instead of the 1st round pick as usually determined. Also forgiving $1.5 mil of fine.

maybe the Devils learned their lesson?

Ever happen as a kid that your parents punished you for doing something wrong, but just before you were finished with the punishment they did something to take the punishment away and say that they hope you learned your lesson?

hard to be tough on the Devils for that deal when Kovi ended up screwing them and ran back to Russia

This had to have been the plan all along. It never made sense that Lou kept the pick the year they went to the finals. Now it does.

No, the appeal didn't come until Kovy retired. I can't believe the league actually did this. The Devils cheated the system twice.

Yeah, that's ######. Kovy retiring in no way influenced the intent on the part of the Devils to circumvent the cap the first (or second) time. They're unrelated. Yet the NHL bought the argument that the situation had changed, and therefore so should the punishment for the infraction.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Yeah, that's ######. Kovy retiring in no way influenced the intent on the part of the Devils to circumvent the cap the first (or second) time. They're unrelated. Yet the NHL bought the argument that the situation had changed, and therefore so should the punishment for the infraction.

The Sabres should appeal to the league to lessen or eliminate Ehrhoff's early retirement recapture penalty.

Sorry that there's no link, but the Red Wings continue to show why they're the class of the NHL and all pro sports with the Lidstrom # retirement. I saw a picture of the dressing room before warm-ups -- where a #5 was hung for every player to wear -- and am off to watch the pre-game ceremony now on Youtube.

i realize Dom's a very different guy and situation, but the fact that we're inducting him into the Sabres HOF (but not yet retiring his #) within months of his first ballot vote into the Hockey HOF is weak. #39 should already be in our rafters.

also, when thinking of the red wings, i am mindful that they're the club whosxe billionaire owner managed to get what would become a bankrupt city to foot most of the bill for his gleaming new arena. which is to say: i'm conflicted on the role of pro sports in our society.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Sorry that there's no link, but the Red Wings continue to show why they're the class of the NHL and all pro sports with the Lidstrom # retirement. I saw a picture of the dressing room before warm-ups -- where a #5 was hung for every player to wear -- and am off to watch the pre-game ceremony now on Youtube.

i realize Dom's a very different guy and situation, but the fact that we're inducting him into the Sabres HOF (but not yet retiring his #) within months of his first ballot vote into the Hockey HOF is weak. #39 should already be in our rafters.

also, when thinking of the red wings, i am mindful that they're the club whosxe billionaire owner managed to get what would become a bankrupt city to foot most of the bill for his gleaming new arena. which is to say: i'm conflicted on the role of pro sports in our society.

In the Sabres defense, alot of that is on Dom, and the way he left.

Not only that, but the contract that the Devils got out of with Kovy wasn't even the one that brought on the punishment. There was nothing that could undo them putting together that contract. All the NHL has done here is encouraged teams to find more ways to circumvent. They're not going to punish seriously, so there is no reason not to do it.

I'm thinking Mike Gillis in Vancouver has to be on the hot seat. Torts might be the first domino to fall if Gillis feels the heat.

The first domino happened last year with the Schneider trade. He had to have been on the hot seat already long before yesterday's game.

And while we're on the topic of that team, what did Kassian do now?

Edited by shrader

Not only that, but the contract that the Devils got out of with Kovy wasn't even the one that brought on the punishment. There was nothing that could undo them putting together that contract. All the NHL has done here is encouraged teams to find more ways to circumvent. They're not going to punish seriously, so there is no reason not to do it.

The first domino happened last year with the Schneider trade. He had to have been on the hot seat already long before yesterday's game.

And while we're on the topic of that team, what did Kassian do now?

Ya I get what you're saying. But I meant specifically in management/coaching staff. Gillis started screwing up what that team had the day he was hired.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.