OT: Explosions at the Boston Marathon

spndnchz

Oof, my prayers go out to the people. While I cannot watch the TV, too many scary memories from 911 and the sniper crap in DC, while I was there in the Capitol as well as all the other terrorists stuff in DC during those years. Still peace to those who are suffering because of someone's misguided attempt at whatever they think is there violent political agenda...

PS, Normally I photograph the NYC marathon, though it was cancelled this year because of the hurricane and the peak is at some point after the amateur runners start backing up trying to get through the finish line and get photographed usually about an hour or so after the professional runners finish at about the 3:30 to 4 hour mark.

My gosh... This is so sad to see. It will be dreadful to see how the sport changes in order to react to this nonsense.

If I had finished the Buffalo Marathon seven seconds faster last May, I would have been racing there today.

Prayers...........................

I know and I'm sure that was calculated. It also went off at a peak time for runners, so it was very well planned out. I heard some stuff originally that was trying to play it off as amateurish, but that's definitely not the case.

It would have been much worse if it had been placed in Hopkinton where all the runners would have been bunched up (at the starting line, rather than the finish).

It would have been much worse if it had been placed in Hopkinton where all the runners would have been bunched up (at the starting line, rather than the finish).

Yeah but you're probably not going to be able to sneak around over there as easily. If it was about pure numbers, they would have gone for Fenway today. This is as much about the image of the finish line and the urban area as it is anything else.

Bruins home game tonight canceled. I'd expect the Sabres' game there Wednesday to be played. That'll be one nervous trip to Boston, and not for the usual reasons.

My future in laws were flying into Boston from Aruba today. I don't even want to know how that experience was. Who knows if and when they were even aware of it

Yeah but you're probably not going to be able to sneak around over there as easily. If it was about pure numbers, they would have gone for Fenway today. This is as much about the image of the finish line and the urban area as it is anything else.

Not to mention the VIP stands and all the national flags on display. Very well thought out from an imagery perspective. Gross.

Not to mention the VIP stands and all the national flags on display. Very well thought out from an imagery perspective. Gross.

True but couldve been so much worse, didn't see that many runners bunched up they are just after the finish line or a little later when there are many more coming down the road in large packs.

None of it is great, but I finally watched between periods of the Dal Chi game a clip probably edited, but it appears the spectators were the targets more than the runners. If is was the runners it couldve just been lucky there wasn't a big pack together as is so often the case in NYC at certain points and I mean over a couple of hundred runners to the point they make us stop taking photos for a while and clear the area behind the finish line.

The fact they picked a spot where they knew cameras would be focused, and media would be concentrated, suggests Al Qaeda. So does the symbolism of two explosions. Remember that some of the planes on 9/11 left from Boston. Still wouldn't be surprised if it was a lone wolf or some domestic nutjobs.

The fact they picked a spot where they knew cameras would be focused, and media would be concentrated, suggests Al Qaeda. So does the symbolism of two explosions. Remember that some of the planes on 9/11 left from Boston. Still wouldn't be surprised if it was a lone wolf or some domestic nutjobs.

There are cameras at just about every angle at that finish line. Anything in that area was going to get filmed.

Terrible day for Boston. Hopefully, the Feds will step in and take the heavy lifting away from the Boston PD - I wouldn't trust Beantown cops to find the ocean there. Remember this - the Mooninite "terrorism"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

Their "crack" detectives apparently had no idea what Aqua Teen Hunger Force was, or that Light-Brite signs weren't bombs. The same police commissioner, Ed Davis who at the time in 2007 didn't strike me as particularly sophisticated or intelligent, is still the commissioner. Guy comes across as a walking poster child for the "Peter Principle".

Terrible day for Boston. Hopefully, the Feds will step in and take the heavy lifting away from the Boston PD - I wouldn't trust Beantown cops to find the ocean there. Remember this - the Mooninite "terrorism"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

Their "crack" detectives apparently had no idea what Aqua Teen Hunger Force was, or that Light-Brite signs weren't bombs. The same police commissioner, Ed Davis who at the time in 2007 didn't strike me as particularly sophisticated or intelligent, is still the commissioner. Guy comes across as a walking poster child for the "Peter Principle".

The FBI took over hours ago.

"Amateur" or "pro"? You have to be kidding me. ~ 140 casualties, every major city in the USA on high alert, the Whitehouse and Congress locked down, wall-to-wall coverage on every network with the capability to do so; uhhhhhh, looks like what ever the status of the bomber, they're going down in history with this one.

I'm guessing it was the act of a lone nut job, not to down play the damage that was done, but I think if it was a terrorist group such as Al Qaeda, the power of the devices would of been much greater.

I'm guessing it was the act of a lone nut job, not to down play the damage that was done, but I think if it was a terrorist group such as Al Qaeda, the power of the devices would of been much greater.

You could also make the argument that this was done on Patriots Day (a day in which Bostonians celebrate the beginning of the American Revolution, obviously a very defining moment in our country's history), which would be another symbolic gesture at the US.

Everything we say is all speculation. Like SwampD & d4rksabre alluded to...I'll sit back & wait until we get more solid, confirmed reports. Heck, even at 9:00pm last night, the authorities didn't want to confirm an 8-year-old was killed.

All of that said, I just have no words. I said this after the Sandy Hook incident - I don't know why and will never understand why such violence is necessary in our country. If this is a domestic incident, it further enhances my lack of understanding. I'm sad for those who were killed and I pray for everyone injured to recover.

Can't argue with that.

Because it's much more reliable and has much greater journalistic integrity than most other papers, including the NY Times and the Boston Globe.

Let me propose an experiment: let's see how long it takes the NYT to identify the person who's been arrested as a Muslim.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Let me propose an experiment: let's see how long it takes the NYT to identify the person who's been arrested as a Muslim.

If they do I would hope that they would, not that it would carry any sort of weight, equally as vigourously point out that in point of fact the "Muslim" is in name only. And that they are a warped and misguided person that is not following the teachings of the faith.

Excuse me for not holding my breath for that to happen.

You could also make the argument that this was done on Patriots Day (a day in which Bostonians celebrate the beginning of the American Revolution, obviously a very defining moment in our country's history), which would be another symbolic gesture at the US.

Everything we say is all speculation. Like SwampD & d4rksabre alluded to...I'll sit back & wait until we get more solid, confirmed reports. Heck, even at 9:00pm last night, the authorities didn't want to confirm an 8-year-old was killed.

All of that said, I just have no words. I said this after the Sandy Hook incident - I don't know why and will never understand why such violence is necessary in our country. If this is a domestic incident, it further enhances my lack of understanding. I'm sad for those who were killed and I pray for everyone injured to recover.

I will also pray for whomever did this. If there is anyone who ever needed prayin' for, it's that tortured soul(s).

Archived