OT: Explosions at the Boston Marathon

spndnchz

Sadly, this looks as if it maybe a continuation of the senseless violence and destruction that can be found daily in this country as well as all over the world. When I first saw the reports I was actually hoping for it being a careless accident with a propane tank or something stupid like that.

Not that this is the only case of domestic violence in this country in our history, or even in modern times to be specific, but in these last few years these types of acts seem to be escalating, not necessarily in brutality, although they are intense, but more so in frequency. I could go on for a long time about this, but suffice it to say that this nearly exponential growth of these could point to some very troubling things for us, as sad as that is.

NY Post is reporting a lot of things. They're either way ahead of the pack or just making stuff up.

Yeah nearly every other news station I've seen has the death total at 2 and the injured at around 23, not 12 and 50, what a stretch if that's false.

Not that this is the only case of domestic violence in this country in our history, or even in modern times to be specific, but in these last few years these types of acts seem to be escalating, not necessarily in brutality, although they are intense, but more so in frequency. I could go on for a long time about this, but suffice it to say that this nearly exponential growth of these could point to some very troubling things for us, as sad as that is.

Yeah nearly every other news station I've seen has the death total at 2 and the injured at around 23, not 12 and 50, what a stretch if that's false.

Well, now the Boston Globe is saying 100+ injured.

Also, even if they're right about the "Saudi National" suspect, just remember that suspect doesn't mean "guilty." It means suspect.

People should keep Richard Jewell in mind when they're sorting through this.

It's amazing how quickly the rumor mongerers start going crazy. I was listening to local radio on the call home and the dueling stories from self-proclaimed eye witnesses is embarrassing. It's constant calls from "I know so and so at the hospital" and none of the stories match up. Do people really have to be such attention whores?

Also, even if they're right about the "Saudi National" suspect, just remember that suspect doesn't mean "guilty." It means suspect.

With the one picture I saw on CNN with the big ball of fire off the side of the street, there sure as hell is well over 100+ injured. That's a very packed area. The hospitals are going to be packed. And now just seeing a video of the explosion, yeah, I'm so glad I'm not an MGH employee anymore.

We have seen it before ... After an incident like that there will be tons of rumors out there. We will know more in a couple of days. As of now let's hope that not many people have been injured or that not many people have died.

I hate how people post pictures on twitter and/or facebook where you can see someone walking somwhere with a dark jacket and a cap and people are like "OMG THIS COULD BE THE GUY WHO PLACED THE BOMB. POLICE GO AND GET HIM"

Honestly, I was saddened when I heard the first suspect they "had" was a "Saudi National." On the on hand, if he's really in custody, it's their job to report it, so well done. But if he's not, and it's looking like that report may be fabricated seeing as the injury totals don't match up, then the media's merely profiling a potential suspect, one who will create a "juicy" caption with his nationality. If this isn't a true and they created it to draw headlines, I'm disgusted.

OTOH, even if it is true, I'm still upset. Firstly, your right, this could just be another Jewell here where the authorities happen to just nab someone close to the scene; in this case based on his ethnicity. Secondly, if the report is true, and the authorities haven't profiled a suspect but have indeed captured the right man, it just adds to the slew of middle-eastern tensions imbued in this nation. Not that there are any preferable suspects in this case, obviously it's preferable if it never happened, but I can't help but be upset when another, "classic," for lack of a better term, case of terrorism happens to inflame these tensions again.

Honestly, I was saddened when I heard the first suspect they "had" was a "Saudi National." On the on hand, if he's really in custody, it's their job to report it, so well done. But if he's not, and it's looking like that report may be fabricated seeing as the injury totals don't match up, then the media's merely profiling a potential suspect, one who will create a "juicy" caption with his nationality. If this isn't a true and they created it to draw headlines, I'm disgusted.

OTOH, even if it is true, I'm still upset. Firstly, your right, this could just be another Jewell here where the authorities happen to just nab someone close to the scene; in this case based on his ethnicity. Secondly, if the report is true, and the authorities haven't profiled a suspect but have indeed captured the right man, it just adds to the slew of middle-eastern tensions imbued in this nation. Not that there are any preferable suspects in this case, obviously it's preferable if it never happened, but I can't help but be upset when another, "classic," for lack of a better term, case of terrorism happens to inflame these tensions again.

Perhaps there's a reason for these tensions.

Perhaps there's a reason for these tensions.

I'm not saying there isn't, perhaps I used the wrong choice of words. 911 was horrible, and the wars we've had over there and the men/women we've lost are definitely worthy of creating a level of tension with these countries and terrorist groups, but not an irrational hatred for another person merely because they look similar.

All i'm saying is that I would like for them to end, as I would with tensions with any nation/people, because war sucks. Obviously it's a deal harder for that to happen when you get attacked like 911 and acts of terrorism happen so when another potential act like this happens, it just sucks because it means we're that much further away from ending all this.

I'm not saying there isn't, perhaps I used the wrong choice of words. 911 was horrible, and the wars we've had over there and the men/women we've lost a definitely worthy of creating these tensions. All i'm saying is that I would like for them to end, as I would with tensions with any nation/people, because war sucks. Obviously it's a deal harder for that to happen when you get attacked like 911 and acts of terrorism happen so when another potential act like this happens, it just sucks because it means we're that much further away from ending all this.

Can't argue with that.

I just wonder why people even bother to mention anything that tabloid publishes.

Because it's much more reliable and has much greater journalistic integrity than most other papers, including the NY Times and the Boston Globe.

Let me propose an experiment: let's see how long it takes the NYT to identify the person who's been arrested as a Muslim.

Thats because the bomb was placed at street level.

I know and I'm sure that was calculated. It also went off at a peak time for runners, so it was very well planned out. I heard some stuff originally that was trying to play it off as amateurish, but that's definitely not the case.

Well the police out here just flat out rejected that story so who knows why they're running with it.

I don't think I'm a whack job conspiracy theorist or anything, but having worked in the heart of DC for a decade, I feel comfortable that the "official" report rarely matches the truth when it comes to matters of terrorism or national security.

I heard some stuff originally that was trying to play it off as amateurish, but that's definitely not the case.

I disagree. Although, I guess it could depend on your definition of professional, and when it comes to IEDs who's to say what that is. But my guess is that it was amature(s).

This reminds me of people following Twitter feeds at the trade deadline. Probably just about as reliable, too. I'll wait until tomorrow to find out what happened. If anyone needs me, I'll be watching the Weather Channel.

This reminds me of people following Twitter feeds at the trade deadline. Probably just about as reliable, too. I'll wait until tomorrow to find out what happened. If anyone needs me, I'll be watching the Weather Channel.

I think I'm just going to sit on the deck and have a cigar. Ugh. The world.

I know and I'm sure that was calculated. It also went off at a peak time for runners, so it was very well planned out. I heard some stuff originally that was trying to play it off as amateurish, but that's definitely not the case.

What makes the timing the "peak?"

I think "peak" would have been when and where the race started, where you have thousands of people grouped together under the national TV spotlight, not hours after the winners crossed the finish line where the runners are scattered. At the beginning of the race would have been the headline grabber, a bigger statement. That's part of the reason I question if it was a "pro".

They said it was at the time right around here the bulk of the runners are completing the race. So you're going to have them approaching the line and also have friends/family waiting at the line for them.

Hank, the starting area is far more rural. You're not going to have the buildings and mass chaos like you would at the finish.

Archived