OT: Explosions at the Boston Marathon

spndnchz

Is it really so hard to keep the tinfoil hat stuff out of here? At least Sizzle had the thoughtfulness to make his visible only to those who wanted to read it.

If your referring to me, sorry I didn't know how to hide it, but if you didn't want to read it you could have just as easily scrolled past it.

As a friend posted on FB, let's everyone just cool our jets. We know nothing yet other than it was apparently a man. Or maybe it was a woman in a radical feminist group dressed like a man to implicate the other gender. Whomever did this is very much off the reservation, probably even among his peers. Let's try to not use too broad a brush no matter who it ends up being.

Today's developments with the letters and who they are going to has me unnerved. I think this country is divided enough with agendas, and if there will be links and shaping to the marathon......just enjoy every day you can. Apple Pie and Ritchie Cunningham's America is gapping away.

No matter what, this entire situation blows.

Apple Pie America died for good in the mid '90s. We've been experiencing the slow transition from Olde Skool America to Modern People's Amerika ever since. I think this bombing here is a testament to that regardless of who did it.

Apple Pie America died for good in the mid '90s. We've been experiencing the slow transition from Olde Skool America to Modern People's Amerika ever since. I think this bombing here is a testament to that regardless of who did it.

Amen.

Scary thing is this either sets us up for more war.....or more domestic divide. Not good either way. You can be sure more poking and proding comes of this as well.

Also, the markets action in the days leading into and day of was very interesting. If this is a "global" incident, it could have been prudent to crush commodities ahead of any possible long term action that may take place. The Boston story was so big, the financial stuff sort of got burried. A once in 30 year move though hours before a dastardly once in 10 year attack does raise an eyebrow or two.

Is it really so hard to keep the tinfoil hat stuff out of here? At least Sizzle had the thoughtfulness to make his visible only to those who wanted to read it.

I have to answer this: yes. It is...REALLY fricking hard. The internal dialog after assessing the damage, human and otherwise, revolves completely around how this will affect society, which is heavily influenced these days by politics (if not vice-versa).

Am I a sicko for that? Maybe. But I find this country so f*cked up right now that I'm in permanent pragmatist mode when it comes to society and politics. Blame my genes, blame my upbringing, blame history, blame everyone...it's just the way it is.

In a way, I wish I could conform and be one with those who are still on the pedestal about this, but, I guess I wouldn't like myself very much then.

Amen.

Scary thing is this either sets us up for more war.....or more domestic divide. Not good either way. You can be sure more poking and proding comes of this as well.

I'm all for more domestic divide. Let's get that sh*t over with ASAP so my kids can be at peace on the other side. Let's do the second civil war, or let the aliens finally show themselves, or whatever, bring it on and get it over with.

Today's developments with the letters and who they are going to has me unnerved. I think this country is divided enough with agendas, and if there will be links and shaping to the marathon......just enjoy every day you can. Apple Pie and Ritchie Cunningham's America is gapping away.

Apple Pie was always kind of a falacy. Bombings have happened all along targetting people, children, and everything else.

Apple Pie was always kind of a falacy. Bombings have happened all along targetting people, children, and everything else.

Yeah, dad was still pinching the secretary's ass and money and power and war ruled the day, but you could live your life at a relaxed pace and focus on building a strong base. Now it's one giant whirly-bird.

I have one thing to comment on as far as the marathon site. While many are saying the finish line was chosen because there would be the most coverage there and the most people that would blend in, I am having a hard time seeing why that site would be chosen by someone who wanted to inflict maximum damage. The street is commercial and was packed far down. The selection of a site just feet away from a fully staffed medical tent with hundreds of doctors, EMTs, police, military, equipment, wheelchairs.....and a line of ambulances ready to go.......and the fact that the devices were crude and placed low to the ground where more lethal hits to the torso and head could be avoided......those things all say to me this was agenda driven, and not number driven. Almost as if they may have wanted to limit the actual casualties but have a grand enough event to capture the world.That scares me. Who or what agenda?....no clue.

It was almost certainly about visibility. They wanted to catch our eye and they did. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they wanted to limit casualties though. I don't think there was much thought in that. They just did what they're capable of.

His apple pie was likely Reagan Conservatism. It did indeed die in 1996 with the reelection of WJC. It made one last thrust to life from 2002-2006, but it was a shadow of it's former self.

I personally prefer cheesecake, so I'm OK with less pie. But I have grown to understand that losing something you have/had faith in, regardless of what that thing was, is one of the most traumatic experiences in life. I'm happy that the country has changed, but I have empathy for those who lost what they thought was/think is right.

I personally prefer cheesecake, so I'm OK with less pie. But I have grown to understand that losing something you have/had faith in, regardless of what that thing was, is one of the most traumatic experiences in life. I'm happy that the country has changed, but I have empathy for those who lost what they thought was/think is right.

For whom? Is there a segment of the population that lost its illusions about life or this country because of this bombing?

My statement is general and out of place in this thread. Has to do with several previous posts.

It's not out of place at all. You're just going with the flow of the conversation. And I completely understood what you meant (while completely disagreeing with your POV), and it's a valid comment within the context.

The conversation on this bombing is eventually going to sway from being nearly fully focused on the victims and heroes, to being focused on the suspect, the reasons, and the affects/effects. To deny that natural progression is to be contrived.

In other news....

So much for the togetherness amongst the people of Boston:

http://www.myfoxdc.c...s#axzz2QjtrdERJ

Unbelievable.

"According to my sources, the man can be seen placing the backpack on the ground and he is on a cell phone call at the time,” Orr said. “While he’s on the phone, I’m told, an explosion takes place at the finish line of the race course. As soon as that blast went off, this man then, according to my sources, can be seen leaving that area and kind of just mingling in the crowd."

I wonder if he looted after the bombs went off.

I would bet that the apartment they raided the other day was where at least one of the phone calls he made went to.

"According to my sources, the man can be seen placing the backpack on the ground and he is on a cell phone call at the time,” Orr said. “While he’s on the phone, I’m told, an explosion takes place at the finish line of the race course. As soon as that blast went off, this man then, according to my sources, can be seen leaving that area and kind of just mingling in the crowd."

I wonder if he looted after the bombs went off.

I would bet that the apartment they raided the other day was where at least one of the phone calls he made went to.

The apartment they raided was the residence of the injured Saudi man who was later exonerated. He allowed the search without a warrant. Talk about wrong place wrong time.

My guess is they have someone, but need time to get some info out of him to see who else is out there.

I'm sure the feds tell the networks to STFU when needed. Chris Cuomo drops "brown-skinned" out of nowhere as well and the other commentator did a WTF wave. :P

The bolded statement is true in general (and probably in this case as well).

Lol....yes any "good" news organization will run over their own mother to air, without confirmation, a half lead.

The AP reported it. That is the gold standard....it was fair game and probably is true.

In an organized war effort, media gets embargos and hushed up on plenty of things. This is a chaotic real time investigation. Two CNN reporters had multiple law enforcement sources at local and federal levels saying it and the AP was reporting it....

And I now agree with people that say Harrington and the Buff News sports reporters are dolts. He's comparing a terrorist attack and possible international war scenario to a Jason Pominville trade. What's the last bit of relevant info the Buff News has dealt with? They could see Jennifer Smith crawling from under a desk with matted hair and still have no clue what is going on.

Archived