OT: Explosions at the Boston Marathon

spndnchz

The NS provincial government, on behalf of all Nova Scotians, has made a donation to the Childrens Hospital in Boston.

http://atlantic.ctvn...bings-1.1240574

We Nova Scotians, especially us in Halifax, have strong and emotional ties to Boston. Obviously, I was not around when the great people of Boston came to the aid of the people of Halifax in 1917, but we all remember it.

The NS provincial government, on behalf of all Nova Scotians, has made a donation to the Childrens Hospital in Boston.

http://atlantic.ctvn...bings-1.1240574

We Nova Scotians, especially us in Halifax, have strong and emotional ties to Boston. Obviously, I was not around when the great people of Boston came to the aid of the people of Halifax in 1917, but we all remember it.

You guys are like seafood sisters!

Nice gesture.

Journalism is dead. Sensationalism is alive and kicking. The networks have lost all integrity in a desperate attempt for ratings. Yes, this is nothing new however it has gotten much worse in recent years. The only way to stop it is to stop watching it. The MSM has become an absolute joke and this country has become a laughing stock in this regards. Set your standards low and everything will be fine.

The AP reported it. That is the gold standard....it was fair game and probably is true.

In an organized war effort, media gets embargos and hushed up on plenty of things. This is a chaotic real time investigation. Two CNN reporters had multiple law enforcement sources at local and federal levels saying it and the AP was reporting it....

And I now agree with people that say Harrington and the Buff News sports reporters are dolts. He's comparing a terrorist attack and possible international war scenario to a Jason Pominville trade. What's the last bit of relevant info the Buff News has dealt with? They could see Jennifer Smith crawling from under a desk with matted hair and still have no clue what is going on.

I agree the AP is the gold standard but as refined as they are, they still have the instinct send the "news" out first. Not taking sides...just an observation.

Don't be shocked if they call off the hockey game at the last second. Courthouse is eveacuated, hospital just was evacuated......crazy stuff.

I'm not seeing any reports locally about any hospital being shut down. They are talking about the courthouse though.

Edit: Sounds like a hoax bomb threat.

I agree the AP is the gold standard but as refined as they are, they still have the instinct send the "news" out first. Not taking sides...just an observation.

Oh, I agree that the new technology craze has made for very shoddy information confirmation. I can't tell you how many times I see things out of the WSJ or major publications that have horrible spelling or grammar....and I am not one to care for that....but really....it's all about timing.

This is such a huge developing story that I give them a break. I mean....we have multiple photos and videos floating around the internet from regular people doing their homework.....and there is some stuff that could make sense. Me speculating Tyler Myers may have Marfan gets a few chuckles and maybe a person or two actually asks some questions or looks into it themselves......but that is about a podunk hockey player in a small city, not a terrorist attack. The public working together on major events is much better than the actual "media" these days thanks to technology. In the days leading up to the financial crisis in '07 and '08 there was no zerohedge yet, a place where insiders and pros could bring together information and warn of the realities of what was happening. Now people who may care know where to go.

Just look at the dialogue and brainpower on this message board. If I had to staff 6 writers at the News, 6 people at GR, for the hockey team a GM and 5 scouts, a law and accounting team, and some marketing......I am confident after seeing people in action over the years we could pull that off as well or better than what is actually in there.......that's what's crazy about technology. The pros get exposed by those who have no conflict of interest, or just outworked by pure numbers.

As much as I think technology has killed polite society, it can empower as well.

I'm not seeing any reports locally about any hospital being shut down. They are talking about the courthouse though.

Edit: Sounds like a hoax bomb threat.

The Women's hospital where a bunch of the press conferences had been. I guess that was just a car left at valet with a bunch of gas cans in it. Obviously it's a tense time.

Does this really need to be tense times? Aren't we as a society blowing this a little out of proportion? Do we really need to jump the gun and put everybody into a panic? Don't get me wrong, I'm not making light of this situation. It is a terrible incident on one of Boston's biggest days. Three people got killed and many got injured, whoever is responsible needs to be dealt with harshly and to the fullest extent. But, this isn't 9/11, this isn't a nuclear attack, this isn't a category 5 hurricane, etc. Everywhere you look, each town and city is in panic mode. They closed down a school here, they closed down a mall, they closed down a store......... hell they even put a courthouse in lockdown because of a 'suspicious package'. It turned out to be two paint cans that were left for the next day for some workers who have been busy painting the place for weeks. 300+ million people in the US, hundreds of thousands of places we can all go. There is bound to be something 'suspicious' almost everywhere you go. Sensationalism causes panic and unnecessary precautions. When you put people into panic mode too many times, eventually they're going to ignore it and it will bite them in the ass for the one time they really need to be prepared. Remember Hurricane Irene? Every meteorologist in the world knew wind damage was going to be minimal and floods would be the worst to expect. Apparently the MSM didn't care and everybody went into panic mode. Fast forward to Hurricane Sandy and many people were unprepared because they weren't going to be fooled like they were the previous year. Sure it's better to be safe than sorry, but a line needs to be drawn. Playing it too safe can have serious repercussions in an event where thousands could die.

Does this really need to be tense times?

Good rant. I attribute a lot of it to the anti-smoking movement. As Bill Hicks said: "Good theory. But guess what, if I don't smoke there's going to be secondary bullets coming your way, 'cause I'm that tense."

Of course, about the only good thing happening these days is the movement toward legalizing marijuana for personal use. The day that happens is the day people stop freaking out over lots and lots of things.

Good rant. I attribute a lot of it to the anti-smoking movement. As Bill Hicks said: "Good theory. But guess what, if I don't smoke there's going to be secondary bullets coming your way, 'cause I'm that tense."

Of course, about the only good thing happening these days is the movement toward legalizing marijuana for personal use. The day that happens is the day people stop freaking out over lots and lots of things.

I really need to learn to proofread before posting. :doh:

And I agree.

So...no suspect?

Need verification via butt tweet.

This is fascinating:

http://www.reddit.com/r/inthenews/comments/1chphe/boston_marathon_explosion_live_update_thread_8/c9gm9kv?context=3

I'll spare you the time it would take to go through that and give you this:

http://imgur.com/a/GcmCu

Really interesting.

Interesting how? There's nothing remotely out of place in those photos.

Just found out my friends who photograph the Boston Marathon are ok. JC luckily because he is always at the finish line just happened to be assigned 2 miles from the finish line, however his wife Heidi, who was 100 ft from the explosion at the finish line is physically ok, not so good upstairs right now. Say a prayer for her.

The grad student from BU that was killed was in the same department I came through. It's a pretty small group, so she had to have been in classes with some of the professors I worked with in recent years (worked on a bunch of projects that collaborated with BU).

Just found out my friends who photograph the Boston Marathon are ok. JC luckily because he is always at the finish line just happened to be assigned 2 miles from the finish line, however his wife Heidi, who was 100 ft from the explosion at the finish line is physically ok, not so good upstairs right now. Say a prayer for her.

Sent your/her way. Glad she's physically alright, and hopefully she'll be mentally better off soon.

Archived