Pominville to Minnesota Wild UPDATE: offered extension.

spndnchz

So is losing in 5 games to Chicago worth giving up your first round pick (16th overall), next years second and those two prospects? I'm not saying he didn't play well, I'm saying I can't imagine they make that trade again. I questioned why a young, developing team that has a good core and is probably a couple of years away would make that splash when they did. Maybe they felt guys like Koivu were getting too old and had to do something now. I still don't think it's worth the price they paid to get in 5 playoff games.

Pommers didn't play in 3/5 games and played injured in the last 2. I don't think he was the reason they lost. I don't think they planned on almost missing the playoffs. They only got in due to the tie breaker.

The team was in freefall around/after the deadline. I'm not too sure why. When they made the deal they probably thought it would be mid-20s pick, Hackett lost the starting job in the AHL and larsson, although a good leader/team guy, will probably be an upper 3rd liner. The second rounder isn't for another year as well. In return they have a 60 point 2 way winger.

If you want a 60 point two way winger, you pay for it. I think they do make the deal again. he was almost a ppg player for them before being injured

If you want a 60 point two way winger, you pay for it. I think they do make the deal again. he was almost a ppg player for them before being injured

This is a good conversation to have and respect yours and TrueBlue's opinion but I still respectfully disagree. Derek Roy was also a near point a game player for us and fans ran him out of town and he didn't win anything for us. The scoring is obviously nice but I still very much question his leadership (captain of last years team pre trade v.s post trade supports this) and his physical abilities come playoff crunch time. Guys can score points late in the season and guys show up in the playoffs when it matters. I know he didn't play much for them due to injury but I've sure seen him play here. Time will tell on this deal for sure and I think the only way it ends up being close to a fair deal is if they re-sign Pommers. Not only re-sign him but get him to a cap friendly deal and not a Rick Nash albatros.

This is a good conversation to have and respect yours and TrueBlue's opinion but I still respectfully disagree. Derek Roy was also a near point a game player for us and fans ran him out of town and he didn't win anything for us. The scoring is obviously nice but I still very much question his leadership (captain of last years team pre trade v.s post trade supports this) and his physical abilities come playoff crunch time. Guys can score points late in the season and guys show up in the playoffs when it matters. I know he didn't play much for them due to injury but I've sure seen him play here. Time will tell on this deal for sure and I think the only way it ends up being close to a fair deal is if they re-sign Pommers. Not only re-sign him but get him to a cap friendly deal and not a Rick Nash albatros.

Reasonable people can reasonably disagree, even on the Internet!

Now, where is Freeman to defend Rick "quantum leap better than Vanek" Nash following his 2 assists in 7 playoff games :P

Thanks for that. :thumbsup: I will now be unable to say that I did not learn anything new today. :)

It's also the traditional spelling for the number of levels of a building: This building is sixteen storeys high, not sixteen stories high. But the spellings are becoming conflated.

• 2 months later...

well, I guess its obvious what this means.....

We have insiders here that know exactly how front offices feel and the Wild obviously regret the deal to acquire Pominville and would never do this deal again..........

Or and this is just a crazy idea... they want to sign him to an extension to maximize selling those assets for him.

Or and this is just a crazy idea... they want to sign him to an extension to maximize selling those assets for him.

I think you have been hanging around Darcy and the Sabres front office to long, thinking that teams will extend a player they regret giving up assetts for after playing with them for about a dozen or so games just so they won't look bad that they give up picks and prospects.

I think you have been hanging around Darcy and the Sabres front office to long, thinking that teams will extend a player they regret giving up assetts for after playing with them for about a dozen or so games just so they won't look bad that they give up picks and prospects.

Which is not at all what LGR4GM said.

Part of the value that they got in the trade was the right to negotiate an extension with him a year before anyone else could (i.e., before he becomes a UFA next June.) Using that value to sign him to extension would, in fact, maximize the return that they got for what they gave up, regardless of whether or not, in retrospect, they feel Pominville (for the end of last year, all of next year and a potential long-term deal) was worth the price that they paid.

Which is not at all what LGR4GM said.

Part of the value that they got in the trade was the right to negotiate an extension with him a year before anyone else could (i.e., before he becomes a UFA next June.) Using that value to sign him to extension would, in fact, maximize the return that they got for what they gave up, regardless of whether or not, in retrospect, they feel Pominville (for the end of last year, all of next year and a potential long-term deal) was worth the price that they paid.

Worth the price if they get him to sign an extension. I don't think he does. I think he would rather be in Montreal.

Worth the price if they get him to sign an extension. I don't think he does. I think he would rather be in Montreal.

Any intel on the Montreal preference? Just curious. The francophone players to the habs rumors always seem like media wishful thinking to me as they rarely pan out.

Any intel on the Montreal preference? Just curious. The francophone players to the habs rumors always seem like media wishful thinking to me as they rarely pan out.

Well, he was born just outside of Montreal and lives there during the summer with his family so...

Well, he was born just outside of Montreal and lives there during the summer with his family so...

But also naturalised American and played for the US internationally not too long ago I think.

I think Pommer either resigns with Minny or takes the fattest deal he can get in UFA. And likely in a warm weather, tax-favourable state.

EDIT: my British nephew's ipad autocorrected my American spelling.

I will expand so you don't miss the point.

If you trade for player A who has a year left on his deal and give up player B+C plus Picks 1+2 than you are naturally going to offer player A an extension because it would MAXIMIZE the use of those assets instead of it being for a year and half worth of said player. I have no idea what Minn thinks of Pominville up to this point in regards to the trade but right now resigning Jason Pominville to a 5yr deal or longer means that those assets were used for 1playoffs plus 6(?) years of Jason Pominville.

I don't know about all the Darcy Regier ###### you spewed. They obviously like Pommers otherwise I doubt they offer the extension. He was one of their best players after arriving.

Jason Pominville, undervalued while he was here, undervalued still after he is gone.

I will expand so you don't miss the point.

If you trade for player A who has a year left on his deal and give up player B+C plus Picks 1+2 than you are naturally going to offer player A an extension because it would MAXIMIZE the use of those assets instead of it being for a year and half worth of said player. I have no idea what Minn thinks of Pominville up to this point in regards to the trade but right now resigning Jason Pominville to a 5yr deal or longer means that those assets were used for 1playoffs plus 6(?) years of Jason Pominville.

I don't know about all the Darcy Regier ###### you spewed. They obviously like Pommers otherwise I doubt they offer the extension. He was one of their best players after arriving.

Jason Pominville, undervalued while he was here, undervalued still after he is gone.

my point was that there were some here saying how the Wild regret making this trade and how Pommers did nothing for them, actually they got worse with him.

If they didn't like him, or they regret making the trade because he wasn't what they expected, why would they be trying to make him an offer now instead of waiting to see what he does with a full year?

Signing the guy just so it might make a trade look somewhat better is something a moronic GM would do who only cares about himself and how he looks (i.e. the Darcy reference)

my point was that there were some here saying how the Wild regret making this trade and how Pommers did nothing for them, actually they got worse with him.

If they didn't like him, or they regret making the trade because he wasn't what they expected, why would they be trying to make him an offer now instead of waiting to see what he does with a full year?

Signing the guy just so it might make a trade look somewhat better is something a moronic GM would do who only cares about himself and how he looks (i.e. the Darcy reference)

One poster. One. posted the idea that Minny will regret the trade. Same guy mentions Minny's record post-trade.

Archived