Pominville to Minnesota Wild UPDATE: offered extension.

spndnchz

• 3 weeks later...

Matt Hackett

http://bleacherrepor...hl-draft/page/7

Johan Larsson

http://bleacherrepor...l-draft/page/14

Just stumbled onto this and found it interesting that 2 guys we now have were mentioned.

As much as I despise Darcy, I absolutely love the Pommer trade. Was never a fan of Pommer's game. It remains to be seen how these guys will pan out at the NHL level, but if we end up with 3 solid NHL players (assuming the #16 pick this year pans out eventually) for a good-but-not great player then it is an exceptional trade IMHO.

BTW - Goose for Zemgus (with an assist from Calgary)? Looking better and better too...

Ya the rebuild began trade deadline 2012 and is a promising start. I also want Darcy gonzo. Having said that, I like the sound of these two kids and pulling off the trade for Goose, Pommers, Leo and Reghr varied from good to unreal. We have some youth comming in Armia, Pysyk, McNabb, Grigs, Girgs and whatever this draft (4 picks in first 2 rounds) amounts to. The Hodgson trade was also needed for this rebuilt and is panning out well.

I know Minni did not anticipate the injury to Pommers late in the season but I bet they wish they had that trade back.

I know Minni did not anticipate the injury to Pommers late in the season but I bet they wish they had that trade back.

Not to keep bagging on Pommer (which I've done enough of over the years on this board), but he wasn't a difference maker down the stretch for the Wild. He scored, yes. But, the team's trajectory didn't substantially change after adding him. I assume the Wild will sign him to a contract extension. If not then the trade doesn't look good for them.

Not to keep bagging on Pommer (which I've done enough of over the years on this board), but he wasn't a difference maker down the stretch for the Wild. He scored, yes. But, the team's trajectory didn't substantially change after adding him. I assume the Wild will sign him to a contract extension. If not then the trade doesn't look good for them.

Agreed. The team was in 3rd in the conference when they made that trade and ended up in 8th by hanging on to that last playoff spot on the final day of the season.

Yet he was their best player in that period. Weird

Man - that is weird. Maybe the lack of swagger (call it ... what, the sackage sag?) that arguably came to define his captaincy managed to infiltrate the Wild's locker room?

I'm kidding, really. Mostly.

Agreed. The team was in 3rd in the conference when they made that trade and ended up in 8th by hanging on to that last playoff spot on the final day of the season.

While I agree that it was a good trade, let's be fair. They were third because they were first in a terrible division. They had lost three in a row before he joined him and he did get 9 points in the 10 games he played.

Is anyone ready to open next season with Hackett and Enroth as our combo in net?

That's why stats don't tell the whole storey....

Of course not. But surely they tell some of the story, no? It's not like he was getting points on the 5th goal in 6-1 blowouts. I don't know how recording points in close games is somehow being downplayed as meaningless. My guess is at this time next year many Sabres fans are going to be wishing we had an additional 60-point player.

Of course not. But surely they tell some of the story, no? It's not like he was getting points on the 5th goal in 6-1 blowouts. I don't know how recording points in close games is somehow being downplayed as meaningless. My guess is at this time next year many Sabres fans are going to be wishing we had an additional 60-point player.

Sure they tell a piece of the storey. However, you see guys all the time that rack up points in the regular season but don't always contribute to the team winning (I'm thinking of guys like Derek Roy). Now I don't know how many game winners or whatever Pomm scored but I saw the team drop in the standings since they got him. Not saying the losing was all his fault. My original point was that I believe Minn regrets that trade. I still feel my point holds true regardless of whatever number of points he got.

Sure they tell a piece of the storey. However, you see guys all the time that rack up points in the regular season but don't always contribute to the team winning (I'm thinking of guys like Derek Roy). Now I don't know how many game winners or whatever Pomm scored but I saw the team drop in the standings since they got him. Not saying the losing was all his fault. My original point was that I believe Minn regrets that trade. I still feel my point holds true regardless of whatever number of points he got.

I dunno, in the Wild's three wins Pommer played in following the trade, he had multiple points in all three and had two points in a 3-2 SO loss to Columbus. Sure he didn't rocket them to the top of the standings or score every single game, but there's a reasonable argument to be made that they don't even make the playoffs without him.

I dunno, in the Wild's three wins Pommer played in following the trade, he had multiple points in all three and had two points in a 3-2 SO loss to Columbus. Sure he didn't rocket them to the top of the standings or score every single game, but there's a reasonable argument to be made that they don't even make the playoffs without him.

So is losing in 5 games to Chicago worth giving up your first round pick (16th overall), next years second and those two prospects? I'm not saying he didn't play well, I'm saying I can't imagine they make that trade again. I questioned why a young, developing team that has a good core and is probably a couple of years away would make that splash when they did. Maybe they felt guys like Koivu were getting too old and had to do something now. I still don't think it's worth the price they paid to get in 5 playoff games.

So is losing in 5 games to Chicago worth giving up your first round pick (16th overall), next years second and those two prospects? I'm not saying he didn't play well, I'm saying I can't imagine they make that trade again. I questioned why a young, developing team that has a good core and is probably a couple of years away would make that splash when they did. Maybe they felt guys like Koivu were getting too old and had to do something now. I still don't think it's worth the price they paid to get in 5 playoff games.

If Pommer was a pure rental, I'd agree with you; although if he was a pure rental, the return also would have been less. But they still have him for another year, and have a really good prospect pool to absorb the loss of futures. Hackett was passes on the depth chart and Larsson was only their 4th or 5th best prospect. I think the pieces were a bigger gain for us than loss for them, if that makes sense.

Archived