Pominville to Minnesota Wild UPDATE: offered extension.

spndnchz

But also naturalised American and played for the US internationally not too long ago I think.

I think Pommer either resigns with Minny or takes the fattest deal he can get in UFA. And likely in a warm weather, tax-favourable state.

EDIT: my British nephew's ipad autocorrected my American spelling.

I think that under the new guidelines, we're supposed to report this or something.

What was he supposed to do, deny the captaincy? This place would've been all over him.

I know, damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

It's not his fault Ruff was out of options yet again.

And THIS is the root cause of that unfortunate situation.

I think that under the new guidelines, we're supposed to report this or something.

The NSA already knows, he has probably called or emailed his cousin so they know.

I hope they've improved their cavity search technique since last time.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely would. He's only making $800k more than Ryane Clowe's corpse.

To be clear -- if you could wave a magic wand, would you un-do the Pommer trade and sign him to that contract? So he'd still be the captain and the Sabres wouldn't have Zadorov, Larsson, Hackett and a #2 next year? Or are you just saying that you would give him that contract as a UFA?

He'll be 31 next month, BTW.

To be clear -- if you could wave a magic wand, would you un-do the Pommer trade and sign him to that contract? So he'd still be the captain and the Sabres wouldn't have Zadorov, Larsson, Hackett and a #2 next year? Or are you just saying that you would give him that contract as a UFA?

He'll be 31 next month, BTW.

Yea, I think I misread the intent of your original question (I was looking at it in general contract value terms, rather than particularly to the Sabres). If I was a team that planned on contending in the short term, the latter for sure. While I don't like long-term contracts for forwards in their 30s, if your window of contention is open, you do it (even in decline, a $5.6MM hit should be manageable with cap increases).

But as far as the Sabres go, no, I would not want to undo the trade and give him this deal. IMO the team simply isn't close enough to being good enough to sign 31 year olds to long term deals. I'd make an exception to this general rule for Vanek for a variety of reasons, but that's for another thread (and even then, I'm not overly enthusiastic about paying 35+ year old Vanek in the neighborhood of $8MM).

• 5 weeks later...

Minnesota is going to suck next year.

You can't win with Vanek and Pominville as your leaders.

#evenscottybowmanlostinbuffalo

We don't know that Vanek is going to Minny. And who is Zach Parise? Heard he is a decent leader. Not sure, though. Koivu? Maybe. Suter...

Archived