2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

Well Ladies and Gentlemen I am off. I doubt I will post again prior to the draft so I leave you with this video. We were once the feared and the hard working, the strong, and fast skating. After Sunday I have blind faith we will be on a path back to that, reiger willing.

Nice video, i just realize that i love the red jersey with the crossed sabres on the chest.

???

Anyways, I haven't been this excited for the nhl draft ever. I have been counting the days. We have a lot of good draft picks in a very deep and solid draft.

After being a fan since the beginning, I am now very pessimistic. I feel the chips are stacked against the Sabres. We Need some dominant players and I feel all we get every year are table scraps. Sure there's a chance that a #8 or a 16 might work out but I'm not hopeful the way that Regier has drafted these last 17 years. Not too many people are talking about the Red Wings coming into our division next year and that, along with Toronto on the rise with good management (finally), Montreal on the rise, Ottawa on the rise and also Tampa Bay getting the #2 pick...and Boston a perennial power...I feel we'll be irrelevant, mucking it out with Florida for last place. One of the only things I think that gives us an edge, strangely is Ron Rolston.

I just feel with Darcy in charge, we're doomed. He'll make all the wrong draft choices and if he makes a good one, it'll be an accident in the low rounds.

In conclusion I play this as a reminder of the essence of being a Buffalo sports fan...

I have no idea what this is. I don't have the proper plugin. Assuming it's spam?

My anit-virus software popped up, listing it as a potentially dangerous site. Stay away from the above site and if you did click on it run your anti-virus software.

After being a fan since the beginning, I am now very pessimistic. I feel the chips are stacked against the Sabres. We Need some dominant players and I feel all we get every year are table scraps. Sure there's a chance that a #8 or a 16 might work out but I'm not hopeful the way that Regier has drafted these last 17 years. Not too many people are talking about the Red Wings coming into our division next year and that, along with Toronto on the rise with good management (finally), Montreal on the rise, Ottawa on the rise and also Tampa Bay getting the #2 pick...and Boston a perennial power...I feel we'll be irrelevant, mucking it out with Florida for last place. One of the only things I think that gives us an edge, strangely is Ron Rolston.

I just feel with Darcy in charge, we're doomed. He'll make all the wrong draft choices and if he makes a good one, it'll be an accident in the low rounds.

I feel your pain, though I am not ready to jump off the cliff with the Sabres, as others have suggested, draft the best you can, don't give away draft picks and count on them sucking next year so that they can get the number 1 draft pick. My only fear is that Darcy makes dumb decisions. I hope he avoids guys with low compete levels, but is able to find guys with both skill, compete and acceptable size, the bigger the better but don't sacrifice size for skill, but make sure they have compete, otherwise pass. On defense compete means nastiness.

A certain someone on here might like this:

A goalie at No. 16? Sabres have some interest in Halifax's Fucale

To be honest I don't like it. No, I don't like it one little bit.

If the Sabres wanted to draft Fucale (my feelings are very well documented on this) they will either draft him at 8, or move up from 16. As the article pointed out there are a few teams ahead of them that are likely interested in drafting a goalie. I have serious doubts that Fucale will be still on the board at 16.

I know not many goalies go that high in the draft, but few goalies over the years project as good as Fucale. Now, he could be a bust, but my eyes tell me differently. I have watched him closely. Barring some unforseen disaster, or something, he will be an elite goalie in the NHL, IMO. Better then Miller ... we're talking Hasek, Roy or Brodeur, again IMO.

Guest Sloth

@adater

Starting to hear a little chatter from a few people that first pick may be in play for trade. Buckle up, could be a wild day

Personally, I think Avs will outsmart themselves by trading pick if they do. MacKinnon will be a superstar

If the pick really is on the block, Darcy should do whatever it takes to land it. If he does, that will show the Sabres are truly rebuilding and of course that would give a Buffalo a possible superstar. Go for it Darcy!

Not the end of the world if we don't draft Fucale. Good goalie prospects are available later, and in any case, goalies take longer to develop, which gives you time to possibly draft, develop, or trade for other better goalie prospects. Unless we're confident Fucale is THE MAN, like Marty Brodeur good, I'd rather burn seven 5th round picks on goalies than one 1st round pick. Maybe that's a credit to Jim Corsi.

Edit: This has been broken down before, here, and while I don't agree with everything there, I agree with the fundamentals: top goalies are developed more so than drafted.

If the pick really is on the block, Darcy should do whatever it takes to land it. If he does, that will show the Sabres are truly rebuilding and of course that would give a Buffalo a possible superstar. Go for it Darcy!

Don't get your hopes up:

@BuffNewsVogl

"Right now I expect that we will pick where we’re picking." - Sabres GM Darcy Regier regarding Nos. 8, 16 in draft. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/06/regier-expects-miller-vanek-to-remain-with-sabres-through-draft-weekend.html …

Don't get your hopes up:

@BuffNewsVogl

"Right now I expect that we will pick where we’re picking." - Sabres GM Darcy Regier regarding Nos. 8, 16 in draft. http://blogs.buffalo...-weekend.html …

To finish the quote:

"....and I say that only because there’s nothing that’s imminent or concrete. But like I said, there are a lot of conversations, and they will continue right until the draft starts and even beyond that."

I just want players with relentless motor. I'm sick of players who disappear for long stretches at a time.

As a Texans fan, JJ Watt showed me the light on this. If you're gonna suck, at least suck while trying.

At least try while sucking?

Archived