2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

Oh, but it's the other four you'd so much rather have for a non-insane price.

---

Stafford and #8 to Carolina for #5? I'd do it hard. Twice.

Long ago in this thread I floated Sekera and #8 given Carolina's team needs. Rock solid top-4 D on a bargain contract? Seems perfect if the Canes are willing to move back.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl6m

General Manager Darcy Regier tells Sabres' website that trade market, including Vanek and Miller, is "a pretty quiet area right now."

The opposite of what everybody else is saying...

This is Regier trying to prep everyone to not freak out too much when he doesn't get anything done this weekend.

Terry Pegula thinks this man is a genius for some reason.

This is Regier trying to prep everyone to not freak out too much when he doesn't get anything done this weekend.

Haha I actually was thinking the same thing.

Could be:

1. What you just said.

2. He's posturing.

3. His phone isn't ringing because GMs hate him and don't want to deal with him so he thinks it's "quiet."

4. He forgot to charge his phone.

Could be:

1. What you just said.

2. He's posturing.

3. His phone isn't ringing because GMs hate him and don't want to deal with him so he thinks it's "quiet."

If this is his attempt at "posturing", he's doing it completely wrong.

If you're trying to sell something, you don't grab a bullhorn and declare that no one is interested in what you're trying to sell. Try selling a car. You always want it to sound like you have a few interested buyers when you're negotiating a price.

There are definitely teams in this league that want Vanek and Miller. But how much should they want to pay when Regier is publicly saying that no one is that interested in them? Would that make you desperate to get Regier on the phone and get a deal done? Would it make you think you're going to have to give up something good to get them?

Regier is a bad GM, but I'm starting to think he's also a scumbag. He's only interested in trades that make him look good (i.e. trades he "won") and not so much in building an actual team. And his public statements are more about covering his own ass and not putting the team in a good place.

And Pegula is letting him handle the "rebuild" we're pretending to do.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl6m

General Manager Darcy Regier tells Sabres' website that trade market, including Vanek and Miller, is "a pretty quiet area right now."

The opposite of what everybody else is saying...

Could be:

1. What you just said.

2. He's posturing.

If you're trying to sell something, you don't grab a bullhorn and declare that no one is interested in what you're trying to sell. Try selling a car. You always want it to sound like you have a few interested buyers when you're negotiating a price.

There are definitely teams in this league that want Vanek and Miller. But how much should they want to pay when Regier is publicly saying that no one is that interested in them? Would that make you desperate to get Regier on the phone and get a deal done? Would it make you think you're going to have to give up something good to get them?

Regier is a bad GM, but I'm starting to think he's also a scumbag. He's only interested in trades that make him look good (i.e. trades he "won") and not so much in building an actual team. And his public statements are more about covering his own ass and not putting the team in a good place.

Psssst-------------------> http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21964-place-your-bets-vanek-miller-trade-edition/

I totally agree I think it's about Darcy winning trades and I'm guessing most GM's don't want much to do with him because of that. All I know is Miller better be gone before the start of the season. Not that I don't like him but if we are moving forward with the rebuild I would much rather get picks/ prospects or something of decent quality to start the season.

Well there are different ways to posture. He COULD be posturing with Vanek/Miller's agents (doubtful). But by saying there isn't much interest he could be trying to at least get them to start talking extension. If there isn't interest in trades then maybe there won't be in free agency. (This is obviously a LONG shot, but just a thought).

But I don't think he's posturing. Just an option.

I had suggested Stafford + 8th for Edmonton's 7th, but I like your trade better.

I don't think Stafford gets us much more than a move up to Edmonton. I like your idea. I'd LOVE the Carolina idea, but no way he's enough to move up that far.

I think we COULD get somebody to give us a second for Stafford.

And I disagree. Darcy is a good GM IMO and he is very smart. Whatever there is to be had, I trust Darcy will get it done.

I heard some nitwit say that Darcy is the worst GM in the league. I guess he's never heard of Feaster or Holmgren. Just think about how the fans would be wailing if those guys were running the Sabres!

And I disagree. Darcy is a good GM IMO and he is very smart. Whatever there is to be had, I trust Darcy will get it done.

I heard some nitwit say that Darcy is the worst GM in the league. I guess he's never heard of Feaster or Holmgren. Just think about how the fans would be wailing if those guys were running the Sabres!

Ooof....Yeah, I'd hate having gone to the Cup in the past 3 years and having Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Reade, Pronger, Briere, Couburn, and the Schenns on my team. Give me Connolly, Roy, Pommers and Chief Marfan any day!

i guess the question to you is which would you rather have?/watch

Longterm? Vanek. But since Vanek isn't really a long-term option (at least it seems as such), I'd rather have the other package in a heartbeat.

Ooof....Yeah, I'd hate having gone to the Cup in the past 3 years and having Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Reade, Pronger, Briere, Couburn, and the Schenns on my team. Give me Connolly, Roy, Pommers and Chief Marfan any day!

And play musical chairs with your goalie after every season to the tune of a $23,000,000 buyout only to find you dropped the ball on a Vezina winner two years ago? I'm sure you and the Sabre fans would be cool with that, but the Flyer fans aren't. They are roasting Darcy for far, far less.

Does Nichushkin have a strong work ethic?

I feel like he does, but I've heard it on here that he refuses to play anywhere but the KHL or the NHL. Something along the lines of him believing that he already plays in the 2nd best league in the world, and he shouldn't be demoted to the AHL for the sake of an NHL club if he is drafted from the KHL.

I don;t know too much about him, but it'd be pretty sweet to get a Nichushkin jersey

Archived