2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

checking in quick just to say, Twitter is blowing up with trade talks. NHL execs saying so many guys in play. Expect it to be a long night but nothing should happen til tomorrow. between 12 and 3 stuff may start to move but I think once 3 hits... well hold on to your seats folks, its going to be a crazy ride.

Seems like half the league is in play.

So I'm thinking, er hoping, Buffalo uses the first two picks and takes best player available after some horsetrading. They continue horse trading their subsequent picks to get more picks. Vanek and Miller are both Sabres Sunday night. My guess is Buffalo drafts 9-12 players They start picking wings and finish picking Dmen and 1 goalie.

I would not be surprised to see them flip either 8 or16 into additional picks.

I would prefer to see them trade down both 8 and 16 into later 1st and additional 2nd round picks or a 2014 1st.

The cupboards need to be restocked.

So I'm thinking, er hoping, Buffalo uses the first two picks and takes best player available after some horsetrading. They continue horse trading their subsequent picks to get more picks. Vanek and Miller are both Sabres Sunday night. My guess is Buffalo drafts 9-12 players They start picking wings and finish picking Dmen and 1 goalie.

I would not be surprised to see them flip either 8 or16 into additional picks.

I would prefer to see them trade down both 8 and 16 into later 1st and additional 2nd round picks or a 2014 1st.

The cupboards need to be restocked.

If the forwards are all off the board at 8, MAYBE trade down, but otherwise no chance. And even if they are, I'd add Nurse in a second. The cupboards don't need restocking. We have plenty of mid-level talent. We need some top-tier prospects.

ISS has us taking Horvat with only Lindholm left.

http://www.newsday.c...draft-1.5594227

Taking Horvat at 8 doesn't surprise me and may be something they actually do. Pegula talks about "hard working players" and that is Horvat in a nutshell.

At 16, I know they're in love with Santini, but how do you ignore Mantha?

Morin simply isn't a top-10 player in this draft.

At 8, Morin is too far from a finished project to take that risk. He's got a HIGH potential but he's a big risk.

If we're interested in Morin, then we'd want him at 16. Too many solid, safer prospects at 8.

The three best defensmen in recent history, Chara, Lindstrom and Karlsson where also not considered "top 10 talent" in their respective drafts. Who went 8th in those seasons? 2008 Mikkel Boedker, 1996 Johnathan Aitken and 1989 Jason Herter. I'm not saying to disregard pre-draft rankings all together. Just remember they are just another person's opinion.

What is that saying, no risk no reward. I would like the Sabres to be aggressive and draft these two kids who fit what the Sabres need and say "screw you" to the pre-draft rankings. These are two big kids with talent. Definitely on the raw side, isn't that exactly why Ron Rolston is the head coach? I thought his #1 qualification was his ability to work with young kids. Here are two kids with raw talent and size which you can not teach which should fit in with where the Sabres currently are. Both kids are going to be drafted in the first round and some teams are going to get a steal in the first round. I prefer it be the Sabres.

Interesting, I was think about later round pics. The Sabres have 5 more pics in the later round. The question at this point is that we have beaten all the first round guys to death. P.S. I like Laurant Dauphin with the 16th pick.... Needs to gain weight, but puck possession guy, great moves and vision. Goes hard to the net despite his lack of weight. Has height so he will grow into his size, but you can't teach skill sense and compete combo.

But later round guys are a big question. Teams find guys that end up being really good, anyone have any idea who may fall out of the first two rounds and yet should be considered by the Sabres later on?

The three best defensmen in recent history, Chara, Lindstrom and Karlsson where also not considered "top 10 talent" in their respective drafts. Who went 8th in those seasons? 2008 Mikkel Boedker, 1996 Johnathan Aitken and 1989 Jason Herter. I'm not saying to disregard pre-draft rankings all together. Just remember they are just another person's opinion.

What is that saying, no risk no reward. I would like the Sabres to be aggressive and draft these two kids who fit what the Sabres need and say "screw you" to the pre-draft rankings. These are two big kids with talent. Definitely on the raw side, isn't that exactly why Ron Rolston is the head coach? I thought his #1 qualification was his ability to work with young kids. Here are two kids with raw talent and size which you can not teach which should fit in with where the Sabres currently are. Both kids are going to be drafted in the first round and some teams are going to get a steal in the first round. I prefer it be the Sabres.

+1

I don't discount what you say. Certainly talent can be found through out the entire draft.

I do however believe, you over state Rolston's impact on these "young kids" as a qualification. The basic premise you are pushing forward here is that he should be able to mold that raw talent but the reality is far different than you make it appear. Rolston won't have an impact on those kids, as they will be in a system coming up through the A most likely, and that is where the coaching philosophy will have it's greatest impact for the organization, an impact completely devoid of Rolstons presence.

I don't discount what you say. Certainly talent can be found through out the entire draft.

I do however believe, you over state Rolston's impact on these "young kids" as a qualification. The basic premise you are pushing forward here is that he should be able to mold that raw talent but the reality is far different than you make it appear. Rolston won't have an impact on those kids, as they will be in a system coming up through the A most likely, and that is where the coaching philosophy will have it's greatest impact for the organization, an impact completely devoid of Rolstons presence.

Exactly, outside of the first few picks, most of these kids are destined to the American league at best. And the NHL draft is a crap shoot, of course great players can be found later but the odds are slimmer the higher the pick # gets.

Okay I am not quotes all I have read in this thread this morning but:

NIchushkin - had issues with the bike at combine, appears to not be in tip top shape. could indicate his work ethic outside of games is lacking, could be hes an 18yr old kid

Dauphin - I like him as well but he will not be taken in the first round from what I can gather. He could fall all the way to us at 52 but I would target him and Justin Bailey at 38.

1st round trade - Trading down is a terrible idea. The reason is this draft is going to be very unpredictable and those drop off points the sabres believe occur shortly after or at our picks

Horvat - I love him too. Monahan and Lindholm are competitors too and have higher ceilings. If 1 of them is available you need to pass on Horvat at 8. If I were Buffalo I would be trading Miller for #11 (and whatever else) and hoping Horvat is there (he should be). Shinkaruk and the defenders may occupy spots 9/10 so you could conceivably get him, I think he goes 12-14 personally.

Kevin Devine - indicated that Buffalo is looking at 6-3-1 roughly for Forwards, defenders, goalie. I think saying about goalie at 16 is a ploy to get Calgary's two picks 22/28 but we shall see

Activity - it's going to be legen... wait for it...

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 3m

Carolina has 3 offers for the 5th pick and expects to have 5 or 6 trade options to consider. Decision likely just before first selection.

I assume one of those offers is us... #8 plus?

Agreed....Was just about to post the same tweet.

Carolina apparently wants a top4 dmen... so the only one up in the mix would be myers... doubt sekera+8th would be enough

I don't like this deal myself, but Ehrhoff for five, straight across sure fits what Carolina needs.

And does everybody think the Sabres are angling furiously for Lindholm?

Or is it, God forbid, Nichushkin?

Somehow something in my stomach says we will end up with monahan

1 Nathan MacKinnon © Colorado Avalanche

2 Seth Jones (D) Florida Panthers

3 Jonathan Drouin (LW) Tampa Bay Lightning

4 Alexander Barkov Jr. © Nashville Predators

5 Elias Lindholm © Carolina Hurricanes

6 Valeri Nichushkin (RW) Calgary Flames

7 Bo Horvat © Edmonton Oilers

8 Sean Monahan © Buffalo Sabres

9 Zach Fucale New Jersey Devils

10 Darnell Nurse (D) Dallas Stars