The other sports thread

Eleven

True, but most strikeout kings don't have that OBP

Aren't strikeouts an overrated bad stat?

These are both fair enough. But from what I've seen Judge likes to keep the bat on his shoulder a bit too much, and seems to have a bad eye / understanding of the strike zone. I mean, Jose Altuve is hitting .347 with not even half the strikeouts or walks. Granted, situations are different, but the ability to put the bat on the ball reliably seems to something that eludes Judge. Now, he could keep doing this and keep putting these numbers up, but I suspect he'll need to change his approach and improve his eye or else he'll get eaten up going forward.

Full disclosure: I hate the Yankees and never want them to have anything good. Some of this might be wishful thinking. It is a possibility though.

These are both fair enough. But from what I've seen Judge likes to keep the bat on his shoulder a bit too much, and seems to have a bad eye / understanding of the strike zone. I mean, Jose Altuve is hitting .347 with not even half the strikeouts or walks. Granted, situations are different, but the ability to put the bat on the ball reliably seems to something that eludes Judge. Now, he could keep doing this and keep putting these numbers up, but I suspect he'll need to change his approach and improve his eye or else he'll get eaten up going forward.

Full disclosure: I hate the Yankees and never want them to have anything good. Some of this might be wishful thinking. It is a possibility though.

I think he has a very good eye of the strike zone. I think he has a very bad ability to put bat on ball in the strike zone 

So Judge's swinging strike% is 13.9%

Harper's is 11.9%, with a similar OBP as Judge (.412 to .415)

This tells me that Judge just swings and misses a lot. I watch the Yankees a ton, he just swings and misses

So Judge's swinging strike% is 13.9%

Harper's is 11.9%, with a similar OBP as Judge (.412 to .415)

This tells me that Judge just swings and misses a lot. I watch the Yankees a ton, he just swings and misses

It could very well be the small sample size I've actually seen plus me interpreting the numbers backwards. 

2017 there are an average of 8.25 SO / game. In 1939, Williams' rookie season, there was an average of 3.44

I'd like to see ol' Teddy hit 100mph followed by a 88mph slider. 

Well then, how about we compare them based on their strikeout ranks in their own season?  Ted Williams, 8th.  Al Rosen, 19th.  Aaron Judge, 1st. :P

Well then, how about we compare them based on their strikeout ranks in their own season? Ted Williams, 8th. Al Rosen, 19th. Aaron Judge, 1st. :P

Next let's compare them based on the amount of black and Hispanic players they faced. :p

Edited by ubkev

I like Steph Curry, more today than yesterday.

It's his perogative, just like it was Tim Thomas' a few years back.

Feel bad for any of his teammates that weren't on the last championship team & actually wanted to go to the White House. They may never have the chance present itself again and now it isn't an option this year.

Feel bad for any of his teammates that weren't on the last championship team & actually wanted to go to the White House. They may never have the chance present itself again and now it isn't an option this year.

it's the nba, it's already a foregone conclusion that they'll have the chance the next three years in a row :P

The fragile disinvited the WHOLE TEAM?  

That was my understanding.

"Going to the White House is considered a great honor for a championship team.Stephen Curry is hesitating,therefore invitation is withdrawn!"

I can see your reading of that, but I would be inclined to read that as Stephen Curry is uninvited.  Looks like a "You can't quit, you're fired!" sort of tactic. Bizarre.

"Going to the White House is considered a great honor for a championship team.Stephen Curry is hesitating,therefore invitation is withdrawn!"

I can see your reading of that, but I would be inclined to read that as Stephen Curry is uninvited.  Looks like a "You can't quit, you're fired!" sort of tactic. Bizarre.

Apparently the Warriors also understood the tweet as a rescission of an invite to the White House for the full team. So, whichever was intended by the original tweet, the outcome is GS will not go to the WH.