The other sports thread

Eleven

WC, I've been an Expos / Nats fan since you were a wee little Charlie thought in your daddy's mind. I got an Expos sundae helmet at Ground Round (you have no idea what I'm talking about, child!) when I was like six, and I never looked back.

If there is one thing I know is true, it's this:  They'll be ###### in the playoffs.

EDIT:  I'll elaborate for you young'uns:  Ground Round was basically the Tully's of the 70s.  Dad could grab a couple of beers and a burger, and the child could have some fried shrimp or grilled cheese or something, and there were coin-op video games, like Pong and Pac-Man. Very sophisticated games. Dads would basically give quarters away so they could have more beers in peace.  (The beers were probably only 75 cents then, too.)  And at the end, the restaurant would serve a small ice cream sundae in a mini MLB batting helmet.  As a reward for being a good boy and letting Dad drink his beers while you played bad video games.

How could you forget the best f###ing parts: silent movies on a big screen (which was ok) & throwing f###ing peanut shells on the floor!?!?! (Which was f###ing awesome!)

How could you forget the best f###ing parts: silent movies on a big screen (which was ok) & throwing f###ing peanut shells on the floor!?!?! (Which was f###ing awesome!)

I don't think we had the silent movies on the big screen at the one near where I grew up.  We definitely had peanuts, and you threw shells on the floor, but how is that different than, I don't know, any other place that has shelled peanuts, ever?

Edited by Eleven

Go Tribe!

I noticed that the top 3 teams in run differential are all in the AL.  Indians, Yankees, Astros.  It's also only the 6th time in MLB history with 3 teams at 100+ wins.

1.  Tribe?  Really?  Get help.

2.  Asstros in the AL?  Who the hell decided to put the Asstros in the AL? (Probably the same idiot who put the Brewers in the NL.  I blame Trump.)

I don't think we had the silent movies on the big screen at the one near where I grew up.  We definitely had peanuts, and you threw shells on the floor, but how is that different than, I don't know, any other place that has shelled peanuts, ever?

That was the only place that us kids got to go into that would let us throw shells on the floor at each other ! :thumbsup: And ALL of them were like that! Even the ones out in Syracuse.

There's a bar in Greece that has that. Little hole in the wall. There's also a lot of places down south where they still have peanuts and throw the shells on the ground

1.  Tribe?  Really?  Get help.

2.  Asstros in the AL?  Who the hell decided to put the Asstros in the AL? (Probably the same idiot who put the Brewers in the NL.  I blame Trump.)

Annnnnddd banned

That was the only place that us kids got to go into that would let us throw shells on the floor at each other ! :thumbsup: And ALL of them were like that! Even the ones out in Syracuse.

Taro, you're older than me, and I know damned well that if you got peanuts at a Sabres game at the Aud, the shells went on the floor.

Edited by Eleven

Taro, you're older than me, and I know damned well that if you got peanuts at a Sabres game at the Aud, the shells went on the floor.

But you couldn't throw 'em at your cousin there! :p

And, though the word "place" was used, you know darn well that the word "restaurant" was implied.

But you couldn't throw 'em at your cousin there! :P

And, though the word "place" was used, you know darn well that the word "restaurant" was implied.

I could throw them at my sister, though, and that's even better.  

And countless restaurants; come on, man!  If there are peanuts, the shells go on the floor.  Even today.

And countless restaurants; come on, man!  If there are peanuts, the shells go on the floor.  Even today.

How many places have shelled peanuts, though? Growing up, that was definitely a defining feature of that place. And I honestly forgot about the silent movie until Taro mentioned it.

Swear to God, the only one that we went to back then that had shelled peanuts was TGR. We loved going to that place pretty much exclusively to throw the shells at each other.

Thought it was great when the Buffalo Brew Pub opened & there was now another place to do this.

How many places have shelled peanuts, though? Growing up, that was definitely a defining feature of that place. And I honestly forgot about the silent movie until Taro mentioned it.

Maybe my family was a little more low-brow than I had thought!  Shelled peanuts were not, umm, an uncommon thing.

Come to think of it, neither were trips to Lancaster Speedway.

It's a wonder that I'm not wearing a Jack Daniel's t-shirt tonight, I guess.

The Ground Round was the very first place I remember with shelled peanuts and expecting the shells to be thrown on the floor.  That, and the silent movies were the greatest charm of the place.

And eleven, your low brow upbringing is evident in everything you say.  Don't let that fancy title you are carrying let you think we don't see it.  :P

Maybe my family was a little more low-brow than I had thought!  Shelled peanuts were not, umm, an uncommon thing.

Come to think of it, neither were trips to Lancaster Speedway.

It's a wonder that I'm not wearing a Jack Daniel's t-shirt tonight, I guess.

You kidding? That place was the highest brow place we were allowed near!

You kidding? That place was the highest brow place we were allowed near!

We had two places that we went for dinner.  Ground Round and Burst Tavern and Grove on Broadway.  And the only reason we went to Burst's is because a family relation owned it.

Some place called Ripa's comes to mind.  I think it was in Cheektowaga.  It had one of those bowling games with the puck.

And special nights were at Swiss Chalet!

And breakfast after Mass was at McDonalds.  Don Luce signed my napkin when I was five.  I know I've told that story.

I also used to collect those Labatt bottle caps with the smilies on them.