The other sports thread

Eleven

Yea amazing how Obama didn't disinvite the team for Thomas.

Oh ###### said something anti Trump, thread might get locked.

Quick distract! How about them baseballs teams. Hear the yanks made the playoffs

The ncaa is crazy corrupt. It's how the good teams stay good.

Had Thomas told the President the Bruins were going to vote on whether they should attend the White House invitation & there was a serious chance the team would decide to forego the invitation, perhaps the invite would've been withdrawn.

That was not the case; it was a single individual rejecting the invitation & there correctly was no indication that the Bruins as an organization might attempt to embarrass the President. The President properly did not rescind their invitation.

One hopes, of course, that there's another (or heck, several more) shoes to drop.

This is indeed going to get brutal. If Louisville doesn't get the "death penalty" after there are recordings of coaches making $100,000 payments to a recruit (I assume they'll get around to having the assistants involved agree to testify to avoid prosecution and finally end Pitino) then the NCAA needs to be torn down to the studs. It does anyway, and the fact that the NCAA was evidently unaware of what the FBI was doing this entire time means it just might happen; more to come.

Hilariously, I've read that the one major school wholly unimplicated in this is Kentucky. Which, if true is a twist-ending M. Night Shamalyn and O. Henry both agree is a bit ham-fisted.

I don't have interest in the FBI just taking down a couple programs because those are who were caught. The whole process is filthy, if they take out Louisville, then Kentucky and North Carolina should be right behind them. Everyone is getting paid, it's about time they blew the whole thing up.

I don't have interest in the FBI just taking down a couple programs because those are who were caught. The whole process is filthy, if they take out Louisville, then Kentucky and North Carolina should be right behind them. Everyone is getting paid, it's about time they blew the whole thing up.

I fully anticipate that this will get bigger and more hilarious.

If Penn State didn't get the death penalty for banging children and Baylor hasn't gotten the death penalty for raping every female student on campus then absolutely no school should get the death penalty for paying athletes.

The NCAA doesn't give a rats ass about the safety of it's students or the competitive balance. They care about their wallet. I've known many a D1 athlete, every single one of them (that I've known) has received impermissible benefits. Some more than others, but everyone gets a hand out.

If Penn State didn't get the death penalty for banging children and Baylor hasn't gotten the death penalty for raping every female student on campus then absolutely no school should get the death penalty for paying athletes.

The NCAA doesn't give a rats ass about the safety of it's students or the competitive balance. They care about their wallet. I've known many a D1 athlete, every single one of them (that I've known) has received impermissible benefits. Some more than others, but everyone gets a hand out.

True

Good points.

However, how many scandals can Rick Pitino survive? To pull a soccer analogy, does his accumulation of yellow cards finally get him out of Louisville?

Oh yeah, he's done.

He's still a damn fine basketball coach.

You say that, but this is exactly the type of corruption where I wouldn't be surprised at all if Louisville finds some thin stance to keep him on just so they can win basketball games. 

Anyone who says NCAA sports is about the athlete-students is lying to your face.

Nope.  Unpaid leave.

Return of the pedantic semantic?

If it's leave as of now, then I'd guess it's an involuntary unpaid leave in contemplation of terminating him. There's probably a contractual provision that makes it more cost-effective for the school to place him on leave and then s-can him after a certain period of time elapses.

I fully anticipate that it will be swept under the rug.

Let a boy dream for a bit. Sheesh.

Return of the pedantic semantic?

If it's leave as of now, then I'd guess it's an involuntary unpaid leave in contemplation of terminating him. There's probably a contractual provision that makes it more cost-effective for the school to place him on leave and then s-can him after a certain period of time elapses.

Or you could see it as Louisville leaving the door ajar, which is how I see it.

?

I'm confused. I'm saying there will be no death penalty for any schools involved. Eleven seems to be on the same page. No?

I know. You're both harshing my mellow. My fifteen-plus year hardon for smiting the NCAA is tantalizingly close to being satisfied (or at least tantalizingly close to seeing the process started). I can't have you two and your quite reasonable pessimism spoiling all my fun right now.

I know. You're both harshing my mellow. My fifteen-plus year hardon for smiting the NCAA is tantalizingly close to being satisfied (or at least tantalizingly close to seeing the process started). I can't have you two and your quite reasonable pessimism spoiling all my fun right now.

Ahh! Gotcha. Sorry bud. I hope nothing happens. Not for this nonsense, anyway.

You say that, but this is exactly the type of corruption where I wouldn't be surprised at all if Louisville finds some thin stance to keep him on just so they can win basketball games. 

Anyone who says NCAA sports is about the athlete-students is lying to your face.

Rick Pitino's been fired as a result of the investigation, allegations.

Color me surprised. Even if it is just unpaid leave, this is more than what I thought would happen given the way schools bend over backwards for big name coaches.

Or you could see it as Louisville leaving the door ajar, which is how I see it.

Per CBS:

Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino was placed on unpaid leave by the university on Wednesday in a move that means the Hall-of-Fame coach has been "effectively fired" his attorney told the Louisville Courier-Journal.

A source told CBS Sports' Gary Parrish that Louisville has no intention of ever allowing Pitino to coach the Cardinals again.

Per CBS:

Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino was placed on unpaid leave by the university on Wednesday in a move that means the Hall-of-Fame coach has been "effectively fired" his attorney told the Louisville Courier-Journal.

A source told CBS Sports' Gary Parrish that Louisville has no intention of ever allowing Pitino to coach the Cardinals again.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, Gary Parrish's opinion, man.

Why do you think the politics thread was closed down the day after the election?

Because this board was horrendous to read for the month leading up to it and peaked that night. 

For the record, the election took place on Nov. 8, and the thread was closed on Dec. 2 -- after an additional 53-odd pages filled with hysterical vitriol.  And while YMMV, I'd say the horrendousness achieved a sustained peak during that entire period.

As always, though, I appreciate the accusations.

For the record, the election took place on Nov. 8, and the thread was closed on Dec. 2 -- after an additional 53-odd pages filled with hysterical vitriol.  And while YMMV, I'd say the horrendousness achieved a sustained peak during that entire period.

As always, though, I appreciate the accusations.

A little misleading, innit? it was locked immedieatly after (or close enough for hyperbole's sake). It was then reopend much later, then shut down due to hystarics.

And can't you guys just come up with a bot that when it sees the word Trump in a post from Liger, it just deletes it so the grownups can talk?

Just a joke, Liger.

Edited by SwampD