Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

While I think Vanek was simply making a money-grab, I also would not doubt he saw the writing on the wall regarding the Sabres once he knew Drury and Briere were gone.

If he was going to be with a miserable team, at least he could make good coin being there. Who wouldn't do that given the same circumstances?

This really should be that difficult for you to understand. You have really been off your game lately.

No one is blaming Vanek for taking the money. Let's just not pretend that Vanek didn't want to leave Buffalo for the money and was willing to leave the Sabres in a bad spot considering what else happened that summer.

While I think Vanek was simply making a money-grab, I also would not doubt he saw the writing on the wall regarding the Sabres once he knew Drury and Briere were gone.

If he was going to be with a miserable team, at least he could make good coin being there. Who wouldn't do that given the same circumstances?

Vanek very well could have seen the writing on the wall...but I think that's completely irrelevant to his decision. If Edmonton was offering him twice what the Sabres were (hypothetically, of course we don't know the details), he's signing that offer sheet even if Briere and Drury stay put.

Vanek very well could have seen the writing on the wall...but I think that's completely irrelevant to his decision. If Edmonton was offering him twice what the Sabres were (hypothetically, of course we don't know the details), he's signing that offer sheet even if Briere and Drury stay put.

I agree with this.

I agree with this.

Me too.. Two guys turning down 10m each is a more interesting topic to debate. 10m is some serious coinage. Their motives are clearly not just about the money when 10m is on the table.

This really should be that difficult for you to understand. You have really been off your game lately.

No one is blaming Vanek for taking the money. Let's just not pretend that Vanek didn't want to leave Buffalo for the money and was willing to leave the Sabres in a bad spot considering what else happened that summer.

Misery, misery.

Pronounced differently.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

More mtngs expected in Nashville as owners decide whether or not to match Weber offer sheet. Many around NHL don't think Preds can.

I still don't understand how the Preds could have had the money to offer Suter $90+ million, and presumably offer Weber basically a matching contract to keep them both, but can't afford to match a $110 million offer for one of them. Even if you take into account bonus money, the Weber deal should only be a few million more per season than Weber and Suter both on expensive (but evenly distributed) contracts. Plus they have to spend roughly $12 million this year to get to the cap floor. This is unfathomable if they don't match.

I still don't understand ...

Maybe the structure of the deal is significantly different? The offer sheet has Weber getting paid $80M over the first six years. That's a shitload of money, $13.3M per year to start. If you put both Suter and Weber on $90M/14 year contracts and evenly distributed the pay, it'd be about $12.8M, and that's for two players, or $6.4M each per year.

Maybe the structure of the deal is significantly different? The offer sheet has Weber getting paid $80M over the first six years. That's a shitload of money, $13.3M per year to start. If you put both Suter and Weber on $90M/14 year contracts and evenly distributed the pay, it'd be about $12.8M, and that's for two players, or $6.4M each per year.

Right, the key is probably that it would have been for two players as opposed to one. But still, losing Weber and Suter at once would have to have a devastating effect on ticket sales and merchandise, and thus on concessions, box sales, advertising revenue, and so on. I can't imagine how those losses coupled with another $12 million on mediocre players just to reach the cap floor is a better financial alternative than just biting the bullet and matching.

Either way it's a risk. We'd all like Nashville to pull up to the big boy table and play the game, but keep in mind that they were in serious financial shittery as recent as four years ago when Boots Del Biaggio was allowed to buy 27% of the team immediately before he declared Chapter 11 and was sentenced to 8 years in assrapetown for pilfering the money to buy that stake. Now you're talking about paying one guy 64% of what the sale price was for the franchise five years ago.

Shocked at the due diligence they're giving the contract, I am not. We went through these times, just like Nashville. Another visible example of how the progression from bankruptcy to Golisano to Pegula granted us stability and financial firepower. Praise Jebus.

Hell, some are calculating that a one-year sign and trade would cost the Preds $26M. Yikes.

Guest Sloth

If Philly manages to sign Weber, they have to be considered a top 4 Cup contender. Sure, they just lost Matt Carle and their defense could still be questioned when it comes to depth, but this is Shea Weber. The guy has a cannon from the point and he can flat out hit. He's 6'4 and weights 234 lbs. Wish he was a Sabre.

If Philly manages to sign Weber, they have to be considered a top 4 Cup contender. Sure, they just lost Matt Carle and their defense could still be questioned when it comes to depth, but this is Shea Weber. The guy has a cannon from the point and he can flat out hit. He's 6'4 and weights 234 lbs. Wish he was a Sabre.

Definitely.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

More mtngs expected in Nashville as owners decide whether or not to match Weber offer sheet. Many around NHL don't think Preds can.

I still don't understand how the Preds could have had the money to offer Suter $90+ million, and presumably offer Weber basically a matching contract to keep them both, but can't afford to match a $110 million offer for one of them. Even if you take into account bonus money, the Weber deal should only be a few million more per season than Weber and Suter both on expensive (but evenly distributed) contracts. Plus they have to spend roughly $12 million this year to get to the cap floor. This is unfathomable if they don't match.

Weber made it clear he wants out of Nashville as he doesn't think their ready to compete, that is no doubt a factor. $110mill can buy a lot, maybe it's time to get more good players rather than 1 staR player.

EDIT: Whoops.

Weber made it clear he wants out of Nashville as he doesn't think their ready to compete, that is no doubt a factor. $110mill can buy a lot, maybe it's time to get more good players rather than 1 staff player.

My perception is that Dreger is pretty much anti-Nashville, and anti-Southern U.S. team for that matter. Personally, I think Weber wants $110 million more than a particular playing location. The Preds will match if they can do it financially. If not, it tells the rest of the league an awful lot about how poor of a financial shape the team is in.

BTW - People forget that Nashville was 5th overall in the NHL last year and actually finished with more points than Philly.

Weber made it clear he wants out of Nashville as he doesn't think their ready to compete, that is no doubt a factor. $110mill can buy a lot, maybe it's time to get more good players rather than 1 staff player.

If Nashville doesn't match, they have to have an agreement with Philly to trade back the four 1sts for actual players. I can't imagine a scenario where they let Weber walk and just get four picks that will be at the back of the 1st round.

My perception is that Dreger is pretty much anti-Nashville, and anti-Southern U.S. team for that matter. Personally, I think Weber wants $110 million more than a particular playing location. The Preds will match if they can do it financially. If not, it tells the rest of the league an awful lot about how poor of a financial shape the team is in.

BTW - People forget that Nashville was 5th overall in the NHL last year and actually finished with more points than Philly.

Well yea, he's Canadian ;)

I do feel bad for Nashville, I really liked the way the team was put together. Another top-6 forward or two and they'd have been an absolute force.

If Nashville doesn't match, they have to have an agreement with Philly to trade back the four 1sts for actual players. I can't imagine a scenario where they let Weber walk and just get four picks that will be at the back of the 1st round.

Well yea, he's Canadian ;)

I do feel bad for Nashville, I really liked the way the team was put together. Another top-6 forward or two and they'd have been an absolute force.

If Columbus are starting again they could use the picks, plus teams like the Islanders are always looking to offload salary for picks. Hell Detroit might be interested in the picks for some of their players.

All I'm saying it I'm not going to be surprised by anything.

Archived