Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

Yea, I'm not sure how they could hope to acquire another top-4 defenseman while keeping their already thin forward corps in tact. Obviously Legwand or Fisher would be great, but I can't see either of those happening. Hornqvist is another guy I'd love to have; he wouldn't solve the size problem, but he's not a soft player and is more than willing to get his nose dirty around the net for goals. Again though, I don't see the Preds moving him.

The trade market is likely unreasonably high right now for a top 4 D--- and any forwards worth acquiring from Nashville should be off limits as far as Poile is concerned because they really can't afford to take one step forward and two steps back. There are actually a few interesting names out there in FA, but I'm not sure any of them are high end material worthy of pairing with Weber, like Michal Rozsival Pavel Kubina or Chris Campoli.

Trotz mentioned they'd look for a top 4 D to pair with Weber via trade. So, another potential trade partner, and one with whom we have recently done business. Unfortunately, their forward stock is as bare as any in the league--- I suppose there's no chance in hell they'd be willing to move Legwand, eh?

I think Trotz is planning on pairing Roman Josi with Weber and pairing Ryan Ellis with Hal Gill. So my take is he would want to find someone to pair with Kevin Klein (he of the awesome playoff mohawk haircut) if possible.

The Preds have several good young fowards. Colin Wilson, Patric Hornqvist, Craig Smith, and Gabriel Bourque can all play. I really like Bourque. Kid gives 100% on every shift.

I think Trotz is planning on pairing Roman Josi with Weber and pairing Ryan Ellis with Hal Gill. So my take is he would want to find someone to pair with Kevin Klein (he of the awesome playoff mohawk haircut) if possible.

The Preds have several good young fowards. Colin Wilson, Patric Hornqvist, Craig Smith, and Gabriel Bourque can all play. I really like Bourque. Kid gives 100% on every shift.

Oh sure--- I definitely don't mean to denigrate the Preds' roster, because clearly they have a good group, although I don't know them as well as you do. I think the only forwards that could net a top 4 D would be giving up too much due the inflated prices, is all. I'd be pleased to see them go a different route, as you suggest.

I've grown pretty affectionate for the Predators over the years, despite my general dislike of non-traditional hockey markets (that's changing for me, although I still want to rip the Hurricanes out of Carolina and plant them back in Hartford or Quebec City) and that affection was certainly given a boost by the Weber/Suter situations--- it hit a little too close to home as a Bills/Sabres fan. Nashville crowds are some of the most fun crowds to watch during the playoffs.

Archived