Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

The Preds are having a 'Party in the Plaza' this afternoon, with an outdoor press conference at the arena. I'm heading down there. Will report if anything interesting is said (I expect to hear the standard "we're really excited to have Shea signed" kind of stuff).

The Preds are having a 'Party in the Plaza' this afternoon, with an outdoor press conference at the arena. I'm heading down there. Will report if anything interesting is said (I expect to hear the standard "we're really excited to have Shea signed" kind of stuff).

Every fan that buys a ticket to a Preds game this year is shelling out $14 just to see Weber on the ice that game.

Every fan that buys a ticket to a Preds game this year is shelling out $14 just to see Weber on the ice that game.

So using that math, Sabres fans are shelling out:

$20 for myers

$12 for Ehrhoff

...and wait for it...gulp...

$11 dollars for Leino!

:sick:

At the Preds Press conference, Poile said that as long as he is GM, Weber will not be traded. He also said he was confident that Shea didn't want to leave Nashville. Tom Cigarran and Jeff Cogen said that the question was never "could they match Shea's offer?" ...the answer to that was always "yes" ...the real question was "would matching the offer give the team enough room to put the other pieces in place to build a Stanley Cup winner?" Poile determined the answer to that was also "yes." Poile also told the story that not matching the Scott Stevens offer sheet in 1990 when he was the Caps GM was the worst mistaken of his career, and he wasn't going to make that mistake twice. He talked a bit about how Stevens won three Cups with Brodeaur in New Jersey. He sees parallels with the Weber - Rinne combination in Nashville.

Something I didn't know: Barry Trotz and Shea Weber live 20 minutes from each other in Kelowna. Trotz told Shea that the Preds were matching the offer in person.

I like Tyler Myers a lot, but $15.5 million may be hard to justify. I know it's for the long term investment but as GoDD was measuring value, it will be a hard sell.

We'll see. I'm expecting big things from him this year.

Besides, I don't care about the $15.5. It's not my money.

At the Preds Press conference, Poile said that as long as he is GM, Weber will not be traded. He also said he was confident that Shea didn't want to leave Nashville. Tom Cigarran and Jeff Cogen said that the question was never "could they match Shea's offer?" ...the answer to that was always "yes" ...the real question was "would matching the offer give the team enough room to put the other pieces in place to build a Stanley Cup winner?" Poile determined the answer to that was also "yes." Poile also told the story that not matching the Scott Stevens offer sheet in 1990 when he was the Caps GM was the worst mistaken of his career, and he wasn't going to make that mistake twice. He talked a bit about how Stevens won three Cups with Brodeaur in New Jersey. He sees parallels with the Weber - Rinne combination in Nashville.

Something I didn't know: Barry Trotz and Shea Weber live 20 minutes from each other in Kelowna. Trotz told Shea that the Preds were matching the offer in person.

Awesome to hear. I know losing Suter is a big blow, but they didn't really lose anybody else, right? (No, I'm not counting the deadline acquisitions of Radulov and Kostitsyn). They should still be a solid playoff team.

I like Tyler Myers a lot, but $15.5 million may be hard to justify. I know it's for the long term investment but as GoDD was measuring value, it will be a hard sell.

$15.5 is impossible to justify at the moment...but if Pegula doesn't care, then neither do I. I'll take his $5.5 cap hit any and every day over comparable hits like Wideman and Carle.

As long as we're talking about how his $3m salary is a bargain when 2018 rolls around.... :)

What did Weber say? I didn't really like the quotes I read from his agents about Weber essentially preferring to go to Philly. I would hope that Weber at least said the right things at the presser.

$15.5 is impossible to justify at the moment...but if Pegula doesn't care, then neither do I. I'll take his $5.5 cap hit any and every day over comparable hits like Wideman and Carle.

Exactly. As a fan, I only care about the cap hit. I don't understand why people (no offense Inkman I'm speaking generally) care about the actualy contract amount--it's the owner's money.

Exactly. As a fan, I only care about the cap hit. I don't understand why people (no offense Inkman I'm speaking generally) care about the actualy contract amount--it's the owner's money.

It's not our pocket book yes. What we're talking about is how it could possibly stop you from getting other players.

It's not our pocket book yes. What we're talking about is how it could possibly stop you from getting other players.

With pockets like Pegula's, the only issue is the cap. What he actually pays Tyler has no bearing on whether or not Buffalo signs anyone else.

(Proof? Offering $100 milllion each to Suter/Parise)

What did Weber say? I didn't really like the quotes I read from his agents about Weber essentially preferring to go to Philly. I would hope that Weber at least said the right things at the presser.

He and Trotz are on at 3pm CST, so that press conference is just starting. The earlier one only had Cogen, Cigarran, and Poile (and Pete Weber). I posted the actual interview with Shea's agent upthread. It doesn't sound nearly as damning when you listen to the whole interview. My take is Jarrett Bousquet said what he had to say to get an offer sheet because without the offer sheet from someone he couldn't have gotten Shea top dollar. He had to tell Philly that Shea wanted out. Otherwise, no sheet. Poile alluded to this today in the press conference.

Trust me, I'm "cap hit guy". I was only looking at it snapshot style with what percent of the ticket price each player represents.

That being said, you have to PAY ME more than $11 to sit an watch Ville Laimo play, let alone costing me $11 dollars of my ticket.

With pockets like Pegula's, the only issue is the cap. What he actually pays Tyler has no bearing on whether or not Buffalo signs anyone else.

(Proof? Offering $100 milllion each to Suter/Parise)

Proof? If you pay your top 10 guys $7 million cap / salary. You're at the cap. i.e. Devils 2010-11

Here is the Weber & Trotz conference call from this afternoon. Shea pretty much said he played the RFA game the best that he could and never expected, nor wanted to leave Nashville: http://www.section30...e-spector-17224

Edit: I will add that his agent has to work with the Flyers again, so if he solicits an offer sheet, he has to give the illusion that his client genuinely wants to play there. Otherwise he hurts his relationship with the Flyers going forward.

Trotz mentioned they'd look for a top 4 D to pair with Weber via trade. So, another potential trade partner, and one with whom we have recently done business. Unfortunately, their forward stock is as bare as any in the league--- I suppose there's no chance in hell they'd be willing to move Legwand, eh?

Trust me, I'm "cap hit guy". I was only looking at it snapshot style with what percent of the ticket price each player represents.

That being said, you have to PAY ME more than $11 to sit an watch Ville Laimo play, let alone costing me $11 dollars of my ticket.

I'm in the "he should bounce back this year" camp right now (mainly fan induced hope though) but when you put it like that, it makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Cap hits should truly be a focus, but when a guy under-performs to the extent Ville did, it's justifiable to look at the whole deal, imo. I appreciate the perspective.

Trotz mentioned they'd look for a top 4 D to pair with Weber via trade. So, another potential trade partner, and one with whom we have recently done business. Unfortunately, their forward stock is as bare as any in the league--- I suppose there's no chance in hell they'd be willing to move Legwand, eh?

Leopold for Gaustad?

Yea, I'm not sure how they could hope to acquire another top-4 defenseman while keeping their already thin forward corps in tact. Obviously Legwand or Fisher would be great, but I can't see either of those happening. Hornqvist is another guy I'd love to have; he wouldn't solve the size problem, but he's not a soft player and is more than willing to get his nose dirty around the net for goals. Again though, I don't see the Preds moving him.

Archived