Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

Then you think Myers will be one of the best defensemen of all time? I think Myers' ceiling is what Weber already is. I'm on record that I wouldn't trade Myers for Getzlaf...but I'd trade Myers for Weber yesterday.

I think he has that kind of upside. I think it's worth exploring given his age and current salary structure.

Also, it's safe to assume someone besides Myers would have to be included in the trade. I'd assume Nashville would want some offense so perhaps Stafford goes also?

Last year, Myers/Stafford combined for 73 points (with Myers missing 27 games). Weber had 43 points. For a team who is already hurting offensively, does it help to give up 30 points in that trade (that ignores the points given up in the Roy/Ott trade)?

But all of this is hypothetical. There is no way Nashville is letting him go. None. He is staying in Nashville. I'm positive.

The cap sort of is an issue though, I believe they're something like $13 million under the cap floor. If they let Weber walk, who else is left to throw stupid money at to get to the floor? Semin and Kostitsyn? Trade for Tim Thomas' contract?

What if they just don't have the money to do it? What's the penalty for not making the cap floor?

I'm not crazy about this so called "unwritten rule" talk about GMs not poaching other team's RFAs via offer sheets--- it amounts to collusion, not unlike MLB's FA scandal of the mid-80s.. But what's to stop Nashville--- or any other team--- from offer sheeting Wayne Simmonds next year? Or Giroux, Coutourier or Coburn the year after? If I were the Flyers, I'd assume I had a big target on my back and work to extend my young stars well before they're free to entertain offer sheets. Changes to the next CBA notwithstanding, of course.

I'm not crazy about this so called "unwritten rule" talk about GMs not poaching other team's RFAs via offer sheets--- it amounts to collusion, not unlike MLB's FA scandal of the mid-80s.. But what's to stop Nashville--- or any other team--- from offer sheeting Wayne Simmonds next year? Or Giroux, Coutourier or Coburn the year after? If I were the Flyers, I'd assume I had a big target on my back and work to extend my young stars well before they're free to entertain offer sheets. Changes to the next CBA notwithstanding, of course.

Let them come!

When you play big-boy ball, year after year, you are assuming that your own guys know you have always done everything in order to win and will be less likely to sniff around when you are already part of a good thing.

Let the best man/team win.

Unless they decide that the crazy money Weber just got makes it worth it to wait till July to start those negotiations, what do they have to lose?

I doubt any of those players will get 1/4 of Weber's deal. Rask maybe but goalie pay is out of whack.

Is it really sticking it to them when an offer sheet comes around once every five years? Who else is an RFA worth it anyway?

Obviously I was making a joke - hence the :w00t:

But on to your question - what about Jakub Voracek? Going to be turning only 23. Averaging near 15g, 30a a season. 10 pts in 11 games in last years playoffs. Good size.

But on to your question - what about Jakub Voracek? Going to be turning only 23. Averaging near 15g, 30a a season. 10 pts in 11 games in last years playoffs. Good size.

We already have 1 Leino, two might send me over the falls.

I doubt any of those players will get 1/4 of Weber's deal. Rask maybe but goalie pay is out of whack.

Assuming his development doesn't stagnate, I expect Seguin to get a huge deal.

We already have 1 Leino, two might send me over the falls.

Do you really think Voracek is Leino? He put up similar numbers in Columbus, so I really don't think he's a product of Philly.

The cap sort of is an issue though, I believe they're something like $13 million under the cap floor. If they let Weber walk, who else is left to throw stupid money at to get to the floor? Semin and Kostitsyn? Trade for Tim Thomas' contract?

How about that for a major slap in the face to Nashville fans. Hey, we just lost our top 2 defensemen, so to please you, we'll trade for a guy who will never play in the NHL again. That would be a nice case of career suicide for Poile.

The fact that they're Nashville is what will stop them from doing that. They have no money to throw around.

According to this, Nashville would only be compensated two 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. The likelihood for those picks turning out a comparable player with Philly being somewhat competitive is immensely tiny. Besides 2007 (after their one terrible season when they picked JVR 2nd orverall), Philly hasn't made a top 10 selection that actually belonged to them since 1992. Nashville should match.

But this brings up an interesting idea. I'm guessing Nashville would have to match the structure of the deal. So suppose you were a real ###### GM. You could write up a $110M offer sheet for 14 years (until age 39), and front load it so much that you paid something like $97M in the first year and $1M per year after (this is dumb based on potential for injuries, etc, but bear with me). Nashville may not be able to pay $97M for anything in one year, let alone one player (and considering the potential for injury, they certainly wouldn't want to). This would pretty much be an automatic stealing of a player: throw more money at one player than the current rights-holding club can afford in the first year, then stretch the length of the contract out to age 39 to reduce cap hit and compensation. Sounds like that might get fixed in the next CBA.

I read somewhere that a player can't recieve more than 20% of total cap limit for one season and thats salary and bonuses. I'm not sure it's correct but if it is, 14M is very close to that limit. So I think Flyers made it as front loaded as possible. I hear that this contract is OK under the CBA because the salary is pretty even. Thats a big joke and I think NHL should stop this just as they did with Kovy. Or else every big player will get salary about 1M per and the rest in massive signing bonuses. These kind of contracts will make the gap between big market teams and small market teams bigger.

I thought our contract to Erhoff was close to "ugly" but this is something else...

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Preds didn't have a ton of time to make a trade, but they did know of the Weber offer sheet Wed morning. Trade talk consumed most of the day

----

Looks like once Nashville received the offer sheet they attempted to work out a trade.

Could they have traded him to any team, or just the Flyers since they had the signed offer sheet? Anyone know?

Do you really think Voracek is Leino? He put up similar numbers in Columbus, so I really don't think he's a product of Philly.

Exactly - Leino was an undrafted player who has had 1 good season. Jakub Voracek was drafted 7th overall and has been consistent for 4 straight seasons.

Any thoughts to this:

Nashville tells Flyers they won't match the offer sheet and let Weber go, if, the get some Flyers players instead of the draft picks.

I think that is the only option for Nashville if they don't decide to match. Don't think they will settle with the picks....

Any thoughts to this:

Nashville tells Flyers they won't match the offer sheet and let Weber go, if, the get some Flyers players instead of the draft picks.

Wouldn't they technically have to make a trade with the Flyers for that to happen? They don't have an option just to take other players.

Any thoughts to this:

I know better than to question your hockey / CBA knowledge, but is that even possible? Not really questioning you, but I don't know ... my knowledge of all this stuff is very limited.

If so, if I were Nashville, I would give that a try. Maybe something like that is in the works. I posted a tweet by Dreger that said that Nashville tried to work out a trade after they received the offer sheet. That tweet seemed to imply that they had limited time to work out a trade and that time has since passed.

Archived