Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

I agree w/ you on that. A deal like this will most likely not be able to be made after the new CBA. Smart move by Weber and his agent, in my opinion. I also wonder if this is a sign and trade type of deal. I understand Nashville has to wait one season to do this, but it would not surprise me if he is traded next summer. Just hope he wouldn't be dealt to a team in the Eastern Conference.

Way I see it, we'll know in a year if he actually wanted out or not. If they're shopping him next offseason, he wanted out. If not, he wanted this type of contract before it's impossible to get in the next CBA.

I will say, this has not been a banner offseason for everybody's favorite GM Holmgren. Strikes out on Parise and Suter despite offering them the most money (allegedly), loses JVR, Jagr and Carle....and adds Luke Schenn. And now he can't get Weber for at least a year (and realistically, it's not happening after a year either). :oops:

That makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

So much for throwing an offer sheet at Voracek.

What about Ryan O'Reilly in Colorado? He's still unsigned and the Avalanche have a healthy amount of young talent at center. He should get around $4mil/season from Colorado, but the speculation is that Matt Duchesne's hometown discount is hampering negotiations even though the Avs have close to $16mil in cap space and no one else left to sign.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012/07/16/matt-duchenes-contract-hampering-ryan-oreilly-negotiations/11127/

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_21120326/oreilly-deserves-his-deal-redfield-remembered-at-avalanche

What about Ryan O'Reilly in Colorado? He's still unsigned and the Avalanche have a healthy amount of young talent at center. He should get around $4mil/season from Colorado, but the speculation is that Matt Duchesne's hometown discount is hampering negotiations even though the Avs have close to $16mil in cap space and no one else left to sign.

http://blogs.denverp...tiations/11127/

http://www.denverpos...ed-at-avalanche

Sure, but he's 21, 6'0", 200 lbs, led his team in scoring and led all forwards on his team in ice time last year. It also sounds like he's a good kid with a good work ethic. Doesn't seem like they would let him go.

Sure, but he's 21, 6'0", 200 lbs, led his team in scoring and led all forwards on his team in ice time last year. It also sounds like he's a good kid with a good work ethic. Doesn't seem like they would let him go.

I agree, but it's probably worth taking a shot--- would you trade a 1st and a 3rd for him and pay him $4.7mil/season? What about a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick at $5mil/season? I'd rather trade those picks than Ennis, Hodgson, Foligno, McNabb or Myers.

If offer sheets were not so frowned upon we'd see more GMs roll the dice. If I'm willing to pay that price I'd take a chance--- possibly use the specter of an offer sheet as a negotiating tool in a trade discussion with Colorado.

Like you said, the Avs have a ton of cap space and everyone else signed. So I doubt anyone would offer sheet him. But, maybe a sign and trade?

There you go. I thought another option might be a straight up trade, but they may not be willing unless their hand is forced. It's more likely they move Stastny if the deal blows them away, especially considering his relatively large cap hit and Joey Hishon--- a center with a more offensive skill set than O'Reilly--- in the pipeline.

I agree, but it's probably worth taking a shot--- would you trade a 1st and a 3rd for him and pay him $4.7mil/season? What about a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick at $5mil/season? I'd rather trade those picks than Ennis, Hodgson, Foligno, McNabb or Myers.

If offer sheets were not so frowned upon we'd see more GMs roll the dice. If I'm willing to pay that price I'd take a chance--- possibly use the specter of an offer sheet as a negotiating tool in a trade discussion with Colorado.

There you go. I thought another option might be a straight up trade, but they may not be willing unless their hand is forced. It's more likely they move Stastny if the deal blows them away, especially considering his relatively large cap hit and Joey Hishon--- a center with a more offensive skill set than O'Reilly--- in the pipeline.

I would trade either of those packages for either O'Reilly or Stastny.

I would trade either of those packages for either O'Reilly or Stastny.

Same here. If they match, nothing lost... unless there's still a stigma attached in the eyes of other GMs that gets you on the ###### list.

Same here. If they match, nothing lost... unless there's still a stigma attached in the eyes of other GMs that gets you on the ###### list.

As I said in the other thread, there ain't no ###### list.

It's a myth.

As I said in the other thread, there ain't no ###### list.

It's a myth.

You're right. There was no public backlash after Kevin Lowe signed Vanek and Penner the same offseason.

I think any reported friction over offer sheets stems from when a GM tells the offering team that he'll match any offer--- and then they offer anyway, at an exorbitant salary. Like Lowe, which may honestly be one of the few true examples. It's obviously frowned upon to some extent or it wouldn't be so rare and a topic of discussion every free agency period. It may be a thing of the past, however recent.

You're right. There was no public backlash after Kevin Lowe signed Vanek and Penner the same offseason.

I think any reported friction over offer sheets stems from when a GM tells the offering team that he'll match any offer--- and then they offer anyway, at an exorbitant salary. Like Lowe, which may honestly be one of the few true examples. It's obviously frowned upon to some extent or it wouldn't be so rare and a topic of discussion every free agency period. It may be a thing of the past, however recent.

It's hard for there to be backlash against a guy who was out of the GM seat one year later.

Was the public upset over the Vanek sheet? Sure.

Was Darcy and many owners? Absolutely.

But do they hamper a team's ability to do business? I haven't seen any evidence.

The Flyers gave one to Kesler, the Canucks to Backes, the Blues to Bernier (!?!), the Sharks to Hjalmarsson.

All these teams seemed to do business just fine last year.

They do business just fine with most other GMs, but how many of those teams did business with each other after they made the offer to the RFA? Do you think theres gonna be no bad blood between the Flyers and Preds front office now and that they will be able to make trades with each other easily now?

David Poile had a Regier type off-season. A top player in Suter walked away with Nashville receiving zero compensation (Drury, Briere) and he allowed another team to negotiate a contract for his top RFA (ala Vanek). If there is any "backlash" , David Poile deserves to take the brunt of it like Regier did when he screwed up.

It's hard for there to be backlash against a guy who was out of the GM seat one year later.

Sure was the public upset over the Vanek sheet? Sure.

But do they hamper a team's ability to do business? I haven't seen any evidence.

The Flyers gave one to Kesler, the Canucks to Backes, the Blues to Bernier (!?!), the Sharks to Hjalmarsson.

I guess I don't see Lowe being out of a job within a year as unrelated to the public lashing he received from Brian Burke--- who was so upset he challenged Lowe to a fight--- as well as the media and other GMs for the Vanek signing. His haphazard way of approaching the offer sheets directly led to becoming neutered--- no one wanted to deal with him.

They do business just fine with most other GMs, but how many of those teams did business with each other after they made the offer to the RFA? Do you think theres gonna be no bad blood between the Flyers and Preds front office now and that they will be able to make trades with each other easily now?

As in my previous post, I do concede that there's probably a way to go about offer sheeting RFAs that maintains amicable relationships, however uneasy the tensions. But there are plenty of examples where it has been frowned upon. Bobby Clarke ruffled quite a few feathers with the Kesler offer sheet, but the contract was minor as Kelser was still a bit of an unknown. The Canes signing Federov was considered a shot across the bow between two GMs that already despised one another.

The wrong way to handle offer sheets: Darcy told Lowe the Sabres would match any offer sheet, and Lowe should have backed off--- when he didn't and signed Vanek to an outrageous contract, that is what stirred everyone up.

I don't necessarily agree that it should be this way, but that is exactly how it has played out in public. It doesn't have to lead to teams refusing to do business ever again, but some relationships have been permanently severed--- then again even Lowe and Burke have mended fences.

David Poile had a Regier type off-season. A top player in Suter walked away with Nashville receiving zero compensation (Drury, Briere) and he allowed another team to negotiate a contract for his top RFA (ala Vanek). If there is any "backlash" , David Poile deserves to take the brunt of it like Regier did when he screwed up.

I agree.

Was the public upset over the Vanek sheet? Sure.

The Bernier deal was a response to Vancouver trying to poach Backes. It was only a one year deal but was for the same exact term that Backes got from Vancouver. So there's your first example of there being backlash to these kind of signings. It was an obvious, "you're going to raise our payroll? ok, we'll raise yours too".

Yeah, Poile really blew this one. I think I posted before (maybe not) that Poile has been doing exactly what Darcy did in the mid-2000's. All short-term contracts, lots of UFAs and RFAs each year. He got caught this year. And, more than half the team will be free agents next year. Maybe he wants to wait for the new CBA to re-sign guys?

The Bernier deal was a response to Vancouver trying to poach Backes. It was only a one year deal but was for the same exact term that Backes got from Vancouver. So there's your first example of there being backlash to these kind of signings. It was an obvious, "you're going to raise our payroll? ok, we'll raise yours too".

For sure. I'm just saying the cost isn't necessarily high enough to dismiss making an RFA offer out of hand.

None of these deals were successful either, although the Hjalmarsson one definitely hamstrung the Hawks.

If the ownership was shaky in Winnipeg, I would use the threat of a sheet to force a trade for Kane, and I would consider having him sign it. If The Flyers got Weber, a true rival would have gone after Voracek hard.

There are times when an offer sheet can make sense.

Archived