Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

Philly takes another HUUUGE swing and a miss. I expect them to go even harder after Ryan and Doan...

It's certainly possible. Still, they seem loaded at forward and thin on D. I wonder if there's a trade partner out there for them that needs a good forward and has a surplus of defensemen...

Good for that franchise and good for their fans.

Let the healing begin.

And screw you, Flyers.

Good for me! My season tickets were starting to look like a baaaaaaaaad investment. :P

Edit: Oh, and good for Shea. He played the free agency game to his advantage and got a monster pay day. I look forward to seeing him and his dog Dug at the Warner Dog Park.

Good for Nashville. Weber is a predator for life - no way they trade him after swallowing the huge signing bonus

They'll have to eat one every year for the next 5 years.

They can't trade him until next season per the rules. I don't think it's the last we've heard from Weber or Nashville.

Philly takes another HUUUGE swing and a miss. I expect them to go even harder after Ryan and Doan...

It's certainly possible. Still, they seem loaded at forward and thin on D. I wonder if there's a trade partner out there for them that needs a good forward and has a surplus of defensemen...

I kind of like the idea that the Sabres need to basically get into a street fight with the Flyers over Doan/Ryan--- I'm not sure they'll win, but I like it.

I kind of like the idea that the Sabres need to basically get into a street fight with the Flyers over Doan/Ryan--- I'm not sure they'll win, but I like it.

I dunno -- I look at Philly's roster and I don't know who they push aside for Ryan/Doan:

Briere

Couturier

Read

Schenn

Talbot

Giroux

Hartnell

Simmons

Voracek

and that, btw, is AFTER subtracting Jagr and JVR. (The Sabres used to have a fleet of forwards like that. Oh well.)

I suppose you can always make room for a Doan or a Ryan, but doesn't it seem like their money is better spent on D?

Just a minor nitpick, but next time could you actually state something like "Nashville matches offer" instead of just posting the link? I hate having to bounce around to another website to read this stuff. Feel free to tell me to go to hell though if you don't agree.

That said, no surprise here. With their astonishingly low cap figure, it was obvious that Nashville had done everything possible to setup for retaining Weber at all costs. And I'm having trouble accessing the usual cap sites, but even now with this deal and the Kostitsyn and Wilson contracts, am I wrong when I say that I'm still seeing them slightly below the cap floor?

Just a minor nitpick, but next time could you actually state something like "Nashville matches offer" instead of just posting the link? I hate having to bounce around to another website to read this stuff. Feel free to tell me to go to hell though if you don't agree.

That said, no surprise here. With their astonishingly low cap figure, it was obvious that Nashville had done everything possible to setup for retaining Weber at all costs. And I'm having trouble accessing the usual cap sites, but even now with this deal and the Kostitsyn and Wilson contracts, am I wrong when I say that I'm still seeing them slightly below the cap floor?

Yes, the Preds are right about at the cap floor now. They clearly need another d-man, but are pretty well set at forward and in goal.

If Weber was looking to get out of Nashville, he may be best served getting used to playing the rest of his career there....unless they decide to trade him.

At least the Preds took their time in making the decision, unllike the Sabres did when Vanek signed the offere sheet, and Quinn couldn't run to the microphone fast enough decarling that the Sabres will match the offer.

At least the Preds took their time in making the decision, unllike the Sabres did when Vanek signed the offere sheet, and Quinn couldn't run to the microphone fast enough decarling that the Sabres will match the offer.

Good call. The right move is to take the week (or at least 6 days, as Nashville did) -- to screw as much as possible with the other team.

Actually, I agree with you 100% and I'd ordinarily include a description--- It irritates me, too to be honest. I got caught up in the immediacy of the breaking news is all.

What are you talking about? Did you miss Drane's memo? Just getting Weber to sign the sheet made Philly a much better team!

They'll have to eat one every year for the next 5 years.

They can't trade him until next season per the rules. I don't think it's the last we've heard from Weber or Nashville.

The best thing about this is, if they decide to move him next year, they won't be stuck with a 6 team list a la the Nash saga (even though I still think Howson botched the situation by capitulating). They can move him to the Isles if that's where the best offer is from. I don't expect them to move him at all, but having 29 (28 if they decide to exclude Philly :P ) is a nice option.

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC

Weber agent Kevin Epp said adding a NTC will be discussed w/NSH tomorrow...both sides have to agree.

I cannot imagine any situation in which the Preds agree to do this. If Weber actually wanted out (as opposed to leveraging more money)...he played the game and lost. Could have done a 1 year deal and been UFA next year, with free choice. Chose offer sheet to maximize money before new CBA...too bad for him if he still wants out. He no longer controls his destiny, and it's his own fault.

What are you talking about? Did you miss Drane's memo? Just getting Weber to sign the sheet made Philly a much better team!

The best thing about this is, if they decide to move him next year, they won't be stuck with a 6 team list a la the Nash saga (even though I still think Howson botched the situation by capitulating). They can move him to the Isles if that's where the best offer is from. I don't expect them to move him at all, but having 29 (28 if they decide to exclude Philly :P ) is a nice option.

His agent is saying there's a NTC. I'm not sure if that means a modified NTC or not.

His agent is saying there's a NTC. I'm not sure if that means a modified NTC or not.

When the offer sheet was initially signed by Weber, wasn't it reported that there was no NTC and the Flyers had agreed to negotiate it in later if the Preds didn't match? Thought it was something with the CBA where an offer sheet couldn't include one.

...if Shea didn't want to play for the Preds he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet in the first place. He would have played out his final season and then gone the UFA route next summer. He knew full well that by signing the offer sheet it could/would keep him in Nashville for 14 years. He and his agents wanted to get paid prior to the new CBA - simple as that. Don't buy the twitter chatter (started by Dreger) that said he wants out. Not true.

http://www.usatoday....gent/56467264/1

...if Shea didn't want to play for the Preds he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet in the first place. He would have played out his final season and then gone the UFA route next summer. He knew full well that by signing the offer sheet it could/would keep him in Nashville for 14 years. He and his agents wanted to get paid prior to the new CBA - simple as that. Don't buy the twitter chatter (started by Dreger) that said he wants out. Not true.

If anything his agent is probably mad on missing out on the endorsement opportunities in Philly :lol: . I will say, this has not been a banner offseason for everybody's favorite GM Holmgren. Strikes out on Parise and Suter despite offering them the most money (allegedly), loses JVR, Jagr and Carle....and adds Luke Schenn. And now he can't get Weber for at least a year (and realistically, it's not happening after a year either). :oops:

Guest Sloth

I agree w/ you on that. A deal like this will most likely not be able to be made after the new CBA. Smart move by Weber and his agent, in my opinion. I also wonder if this is a sign and trade type of deal. I understand Nashville has to wait one season to do this, but it would not surprise me if he is traded next summer. Just hope he wouldn't be dealt to a team in the Eastern Conference.

Archived