Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

Darren Dreger says Weber signed offer sheet with flyers 14 years north of 100 mill. https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

If it is 100 for 14 that is 7,14 cap hit. I think it better be quite a bit more than that, think Nashville will match up to 8 or 9 per year. Or what do you think? I don't want him in the east if it's not with the sabres. Let's hope Nashville match it...

Paul Holmgren has no care about his reputation. I was just listening to fan590 one day last week on my break at work, and someone asked how come theres so little news about Weber, and the panel pretty much said its rare they get offer sheets because theres a unwritten rule among GMs not to. So, very interesting to see what the Flyers are up to.

But, i suspect, the Preds will match the offer, before (most of us still reading this board at this time) will be up.... they have to. Right?

Dreger was saying that they were working on a trade, so i wouldnt doubt if the Predators let him walk and take the 4 1st rounders. Why would they be working on a trade to get rid of him but match it?

Seems just silly to let him walk. In trades, they can get somewhat proven players or players ready to step in, plus a few picks. Here, you lose Suter and Weber in a few week span, and only get 4 future picks. We dealt with black Sunday. It was hard on us, i don't think a market like Nashville can survive with this kind of blow if he walks.

Seems just silly to let him walk. In trades, they can get somewhat proven players or players ready to step in, plus a few picks. Here, you lose Suter and Weber in a few week span, and only get 4 future picks. We dealt with black Sunday. It was hard on us, i don't think a market like Nashville can survive with this kind of blow if he walks.

This is exactly Vanek all over again, except this guy is really good.

Ok Nashville matches it and we trade for him. Giving up Myers Ehrhoff and ....

Yeah i am just dreaming. But why is our team so unintersting for free agents.

I think the cap favors the big team with big media outlets etc. Buffalo just doesn't have the standing. Ok i will stop i am crying like a baby here.

Philly has to be gunning for a sign and trade, like with our old buddy Chris Gratton way back when.

Well, if anything it means the dam is breaking. The only way to plug it again is if Nashville signs and holds.

A match and trade is more likely, because the Preds will get more than four firsts.

Whoever makes the deal could put dominoes in motion for Ryan, Nash,, etc.

For the record, I make Poile an offer that includes Myers. Weber is one of true elites.

But I think the Sabres may be better off being patient and being the second or third team in on the rush.

That's more Darcy's style and it may result in a better deal.

Poor Nashville.

But things just got a whole lot more interesting.

Weber is elite, however, it should be noted that he "came of age" during his 3rd full NHL season (he played 28 games his first season) and at the time (if my math is correct) was 23yrs old.

Myers for all those saying we should trade him plus (whatever you feel like adding in here) need to compare that Myers will be hitting his 4th NHL season this year and is 22yrs old. Whats my point? 2 years from now we could have a 24yr old who is a rock on our blueline without giving up Myers +.

Personally I would love Weber on the team but I am more than willing to give Myers another 2yrs of growth. I still believe Myers will be elite. Either way the next 7 days should be interesting. If I am Nashville, I take the picks and walk away, a 100million 14yr deal would be crippling to them IMO.

The Preds could a lot more than four low first rounders for Weber.

You don't think the Oilers would offer a couple of their big four?

The Jackets would give them Nash plus.

Flyers would have both Schenns and the table.

There would be a half-dozen more teams with similar offers.

Brian Burke would trade his whole team ( of course that wouldn't be enough)

Is it possible to trade him without matching, and then the new club can match flyers bid? Of course it has to happen pretty soon in that case.

I agree it will be a risk for Nashville to keep him. It's a big risk to tie up for 14 years when the player not even want to stay. But they should get more than 4 first rounders for him. A trade would be best, this should be interesting. Finally something happens!

They will sign it I think. Those 4 first rounders will probably be around the 20-30 pick. That's a garbage return for your franchise D-men and one of the best Dmen in the league.

Dreger added a tweet that the AAV could actually leave Nshvll with 2 firsts, a second, and a third. They will match, and then trade?

Weber is elite, however, it should be noted that he "came of age" during his 3rd full NHL season (he played 28 games his first season) and at the time (if my math is correct) was 23yrs old.

Myers for all those saying we should trade him plus (whatever you feel like adding in here) need to compare that Myers will be hitting his 4th NHL season this year and is 22yrs old. Whats my point? 2 years from now we could have a 24yr old who is a rock on our blueline without giving up Myers +.

Personally I would love Weber on the team but I am more than willing to give Myers another 2yrs of growth. I still believe Myers will be elite. Either way the next 7 days should be interesting. If I am Nashville, I take the picks and walk away, a 100million 14yr deal would be crippling to them IMO.

It's potential versus proven, you are willing to sit back and hope Myers becomes that player while others would prefer Weber who is already that player.

I love this move by the Flyers. Their defense will be sick, especially if Pronger can come back. Weber and Schenn has the potential to be a Stevens/Niedermayer type pairing.

Note: as just discussed on WGR (but I was pretty sure that this was the case before that), they Preds cannot trade him before the offer sheet deadline, nor can they trade him if they match. They have three choices: (1) let him walk and get four picks from a perennial playoff team who just added a great defenseman, (2) match the offer sheet, play him for a year, then trade him next July, or (3) match the offer sheet and keep him long term.

It's potential versus proven, you are willing to sit back and hope Myers becomes that player while others would prefer Weber who is already that player.

I love this move by the Flyers. Their defense will be sick, especially if Pronger can come back. Weber and Schenn has the potential to be a Stevens/Niedermayer type pairing.

I think he's done, which is why they are after his clone. Even if he comes back, that body of his has seen too many hits...

TSN reporting Flyers signed Shea Weber to an offer sheet for 14 yrs/100 million dollar contract.

Good for them, if this means Pronger is actually going to retire then I welcome it. I really don't think it'll make much difference to the Flyers this year, I think they suffer more from lacking 'team chemistry' than anything else.

I'd let him walk and use the first rounders to pick up some fine Dmen and a couple of fine forwards. I bet they let him walk too, his probably worth the cash but I think they could do more with the cash. 1 star defenseman isn't going to make them a contender.

Good for them, if this means Pronger is actually going to retire then I welcome it. I really don't think it'll make much difference to the Flyers this year, I think they suffer more from lacking 'team chemistry' than anything else.

I don't disagree with you about the Flyers but I gotta believe Nashville is going to match it after losing Suter.

I'd let him walk and use the first rounders to pick up some fine Dmen and a couple of fine forwards. I bet they let him walk too, his probably worth the cash but I think they could do more with the cash. 1 star defenseman isn't going to make them a contender.

no but 1 star defensemen might convince other players to join nashville

Schenn has showed little so far man, I watch leaf games from time to time.......Not saying that he can't pull it out, but so far has not done much.

Archived